Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2021 11:55:38 AM EDT
I formerly worked for cirrus Aircraft. I built the SF 50 jet, but have plenty of knowledge on the SR line. If you have any questions on the design/build/assembly/whatever feel free to ask, if I can answer I will. Probably best to @me in your post so I'll see it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
is the use of a parachute a one-time event for the airframe?
View Quote

Not necessarily. The airframe of the SR is mainly bonded fiberglass and the SF50 is carbon fiber, which can be repaired in some cases after CAPS deployment. The experimental R&D airframes were deployed and repaired multiple times.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 12:29:03 PM EDT
[#3]
How much do you pay your avionics technicians?

If it's a sliding scale, how many tiers?
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 12:29:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Why don’t all planes pack a parachute?

Is Cirrus just so bad that only they need them?  
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How much do you pay your avionics technicians?

If it's a sliding scale, how many tiers?
View Quote

It all comes pre made, line techs just bolt it in and go. I believe they're G3000 units in the jet and G1000's in the SR line.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 3:51:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
whats the maintenance schedule on the parachute?

is that a Rigger function or someone with at least an Airframe license?  
or is it required to be someone qualified by Cirrus?

(sorry, I don't know much about how the a/c is designed, just know the name and parachute')

I am an A&P and Rigger. so this interests me.  tnx!
View Quote

Not sure what the maintenance is on the parachute. I know the straps are bonded into the fuselage, so there's no way to inspect them once the wing/body/fuselage is assembled. (They're under a layer of fiberglass.)

The parachutes were rigged in a separate, smaller building from the main assembly. I was only over there for a short time and never got to see the process. There's like 4 REALLY long tables. I don't believe they're certified to any A&P standards, just trained by Cirrus.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

R&D I'm assuming. Plus there's the fact that a rocket is required to deploy the 'chute.

I (probably)can't legally comment on the assembly/quality process so I won't. My name is on too many FAA documents. All I can say is that things happen, regardless of QC. Humans make mistakes.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Was there any special qualification procedure for the emergency egress hammer?

On the SR22s I flew they were always Stanley's and I always wondered if they actually had a yellow tag or someone just ran to home depot and grabbed what was on sale.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Was there any special qualification procedure for the emergency egress hammer?

On the SR22s I flew they were always Stanley's and I always wondered if they actually had a yellow tag or someone just ran to home depot and grabbed what was on sale.
View Quote

LOL.
I do know they have an FAA approval number, and have to be a ball peen. There's also a section in the operator's manual on how to use it.

So, while you're upside down in your Cirrus, while it's on fire and fuel is pouring everywhere, you're supposed to flip to section 9 and read on how to use the egress hammer
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I did a factory tour years ago, interesting stuff.

Question- with so many structural parts, including the wing spar no less, made of carbon, what is the process or inspection for detecting cracks or interior flaws in the parts?
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I did a factory tour years ago, interesting stuff.

Question- with so many structural parts, including the wing spar no less, made of carbon, what is the process or inspection for detecting cracks or interior flaws in the parts?
View Quote

There is (for lack of a better term) a sort of system that uses water and vibrations to "x-ray" the plies in the composite. It vacuums to the surface with a plastic bag.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Is Cirrus a good company to work for?  How did you like it?
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:55:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Do the chinese really own Cirrus Aircraft?
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is Cirrus a good company to work for?  How did you like it?
View Quote

It was okay, the pay was not very good. The job itself wasn't too bad, you got to sit inside and work in 72° air conditioning all day. Four 10 hour shifts were nice, the pace isn't all that quick.  At my station we put the Flight control rigging in, stabilizers, windshield, plumbing, electrical, assembled the radome, and some other miscellaneous tasks. So I at least had a little variety day-to-day.

There's a lot worse jobs you can do for $15 an hour.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do the chinese really own Cirrus Aircraft?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 2:43:34 PM EDT
[#17]
What is the real-world cruise speed of the SR22 Turbo?
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your odds of damaging the plane in a landing with the chute are very high.

Your odds of being able to safely glide to a controlled landing at a runway or roadway are very high.

Weight, cost, space. Not saying the chute is useless, but unless your wing falls off or you somehow lose all control, you're better off gliding.

That's my understanding.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 1:05:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not sure, not a pilot. I know they're pretty quick for there class of airplane though. I want to say around 170 kts.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I never really got the Cirrus hype, so forgive my ignorance...

What's the difference in the normal Cirrus that you see flying around and a C172 besides updated avionics?
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I never really got the Cirrus hype, so forgive my ignorance...

What's the difference in the normal Cirrus that you see flying around and a C172 besides updated avionics?
View Quote

Speed, efficiency, altitude capability. Lots of big differences. Really not the same category.

Personally, I think high wings are better. I would take a 206 HD over a Cirrus any day!
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 3:28:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't have a ton of hours in one, but when we flew it we used 180 for planning, and you could count on 190.

Definitely saw higher in flight if everything was trimmed and adjusted well.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Speed, efficiency, altitude capability. Lots of big differences. Really not the same category.

View Quote

This. They're pretty nice inside for a smaller airplane (think letter, fit and finish, air conditioning, noise, soft touch materials, etc)

The cruise speed is alot higher than a 172.

Higher payload.

Cirrus has tech like "Approach," Weather info, terrain awareness, and alot more.

It has a wing De-Icing system.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This. They're pretty nice inside for a smaller airplane (think letter, fit and finish, air conditioning, noise, soft touch materials, etc)

The cruise speed is alot higher than a 172.

Higher payload.

Cirrus has tech like "Approach," Weather info, terrain awareness, and alot more.

View Quote

I think most of the tech would be available on an upgraded 172, but that kind of defeats the point of a 172, to be an entry level plane.

The Cirrus is not entry level, just like a 206HD isn't entry level. Different categories.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think most of the tech would be available on an upgraded 172, but that kind of defeats the point of a 172, to be an entry level plane.

The Cirrus is not entry level, just like a 206HD isn't entry level. Different categories.
View Quote
If you want to compare with a 172, you really need to be looking at the sr20
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:37:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which is great, but TKS fluid is slicker'n cat snot when you try to get off the wing or push the plane out of the hangar!

When were you working at Cirrus? I was at AAR for a while.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:04:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

When were you working at Cirrus? I was at AAR for a while.
View Quote

2017ish
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Well lets see if you remember this cluster fuck, OP?.

When your guys designed the cockpit, with the front windshields being installed from the inside, there was no way to actually get them in place.

Yes, our windows matched the print perfectly.  The the windows matched the window frames in the plane as well.  But some dumb ass at Cirrus didn't leave enough room to actually get them installed.

That's what happened.  You can deny it if you like.

Tony
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:51:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Well lets see if you remember this cluster fuck, OP?.

When your guys designed the cockpit, with the front windshields being installed from the inside, there was no way to actually get them in place.

Yes, our windows matched the print perfectly.  The the windows matched the window frames in the plane as well.  But some dumb ass at Cirrus didn't leave enough room to actually get them installed.

That's what happened.  You can deny it if you like.

Tony
View Quote

You're not wrong. The engineers there are young and stupid.

The windscreen install is a royal clusterfuck. A wet install from the outside, the fasteners were always incorrect on the drawings, the trim rings never fit right, and they used phillips heads that needed to be torqued, half the time they would strip.  Squawks on every ASN for it while i was there. What a pain in the ass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top