Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2021 10:00:57 AM EDT
Hey guys-

Silly question for you. I'm having some issues with cigar wrappers cracking. I bought a new humidor a few months back, got the humidity up to ~75% and then loaded with cigars. In the humidor I put the Bodiva 84% humidity pack since it was packed full of cigars ~30ish. Since I've smoked most of them, the few remaining are having issues where the wrapper is cracking. Sometimes its at the end, sometimes in the middle, sometimes before I even light it, sometimes halfway through. My hydrometer tells me that the humidity level is above 72%.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? It's a little frustrating.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:04:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Humididty is too high.  Cigars swell, wrappers crack.

Shoot for 65 - 69% humidity
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, humidity was too high and caused swelling.  I like 68-69% RH at about 69-70*.  Mine have been shooting up to 72-73% here lately due to spring and rains, and they’re having some trouble staying lit when smoking.  So, I usually open up the humidors for a couple few minutes every couple days to lower it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Well...I'm an idiot.

Thanks for helping me out!
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well...I'm an idiot.

Thanks for helping me out!
View Quote

Not an idiot by any stretch... you made a mistake that almost all of us do starting out.... no biggie, drop the RH% and you'll be good.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:22:07 AM EDT
[#6]
After a few weeks and your cigars acclimate to the lower humidity and you are still having issues, moisten the cigar with some liquid lightly. Just enough to add a touch of moisture to the wrapper. It will make it pliable and less likely to split if the humidity is real low where you are.

Ever see old timers in movies give their cigar a dip in whiskey or stuffed in their mouth for a quick lick? Same thing. Some will hold the foot and rinse it under the sink for a second.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep mine at as close to 70% and 70° as I can possibly get. Has worked great for me. I find the Bovedas work amazing, I also have around 30 or so sticks on hand, and one 60 gram 69% in my tupperdor is perfect. You'll notice in the bottom pic of my humidor, I keep a clump of loose tobacco in there. Not sure if it helps or anything

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top