Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2021 9:37:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:45:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I recommend this book as an enjoyable primer, any edition you choose The Ultimate Cigar Book
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:28:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice, let me know what you think.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I took a hiatus from cigars for about 10 years.  When I got back into it, I simply researched Cigar Afficianado's top 20 cigars of the most recent few years, and tried them all.  That's how I found my current "desert island" smoke - the Ashton VSG Spellbound.

And yes, cigar lounges are a lot like gun stores and the like.  Just a bunch of dudes, total strangers, but yet it's easy to strike up conversations that can go on for hours.

As an aside, I did the same thing with the Bourbon/Whiskey/Scotch menu at my local lounge.  I'm friends with the owner, and his selection is like 75-100 different brands/styles.  I've never been too knowledgeable about those beverages, so I figured I'd just play the field.  I also used it as a checklist.  But I stopped at M, when I reached Macallan.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 12:19:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I recommend this book as an enjoyable primer, any edition you choose The Ultimate Cigar Book
View Quote

Worth getting in print or is audio book fine?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like a nice friend you have OP. Good on him for getting you out of the house and you having a great time even though you didn't think you would.

Another way to find good cigars is to look at the threads called what do you have lit up now. You will start to see a lot of the same cigars being smoked by different people. They must be good if everyone is smoking them right? Not always, but, it's a good place to start. I would have never tried the 601 line of cigars had I not seen many other people trying them in that thread. They are some of my favorite cigars to this day.

And nothing wrong with smoking flavored cigars. Not my thing, but people should not look down on you for smoking them. Smoke what you like.

Anything from:

Arturo Fuente
Padron
Don Pepin - My Father which you already had

Really can't go wrong with anything from these cigar companies. They have been around for a long time for a reason. They make good quality cigars....period.

Welcome to the cigar world OP. It's a great one to live in.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Worth getting in print or is audio book fine?
View Quote

I got printed because it's an interesting book on the bookshelf and has some cool photos and illustrations.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:08:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Cool, once I really got into cigars I vowed to never stop smoking them again. I had lots of external pressure from family members to stop for health reasons. I think it's a healthy past time as it helps me to relax. I'd say the COVID-19 and shortages scare got me buying more than just three or four at a time as I ran out. It's great to find a new cigar I really enjoy, or try one and decide I won't be buying that again. Then working on getting a good supply of my favorites.

1) JFR Lunatic rabusto
2) La Aroma de Cuba
3)crowned Heads La Imperiosa
4)Alec Bradley Tempus Nicaragua
5)CAO Flathead 660, Sparkplug, and crankshaft.
6)La Aurora dbl perfecto
7)San Cristobal maduro rabusto
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 3:57:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 11:11:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top