Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2019 1:14:25 PM EDT
Looking for advice on cigars as a gift.  My supervising MD likes cigars and I would like to get him a good Christmas gift  Thinking around $50.  Am going to have the office staff ask him what he likes and would recommend, but I would like other opinions as well.  I have no clue about cigars and I live in rural NC so I have nowhere less than an hour to even shop at.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Either buy him a single $50 cigar or two $25 cigars.

Don't buy him a whole bunch of $5 cigars.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty hardcore afficianado here....

Don't buy a box, or large quantities of something.  Everyone has their own favorite brands, and it's likely your "gift" might just go in the trash.

There are several (expensive) brands that are universally regarded as "good shit."  $50 will get you 2-3 of those - any Davidoff, Padron (1926, 1964, 50th anniversary), Fuente Opus X.

ETA: Make sure they'll be stored properly before gifting.  Cigars need ~70% humidity.  When I have no humidor present, I put the cigars in a Zip-loc bag, and put that bag inside another zip-loc bag with a wet piece of paper towel.  If the cigars dry out, they're dead, but if they're too moist, they can grow mold.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pretty hardcore afficianado here....

Don't buy a box, or large quantities of something.  Everyone has their own favorite brands, and it's likely your "gift" might just go in the trash.

There are several (expensive) brands that are universally regarded as "good shit."  $50 will get you 2-3 of those - any Davidoff, Padron (1926, 1964, 50th anniversary), Fuente Opus X.

ETA: Make sure they'll be stored properly before gifting.  Cigars need ~70% humidity.  When I have no humidor present, I put the cigars in a Zip-loc bag, and put that bag inside another zip-loc bag with a wet piece of paper towel.  If the cigars dry out, they're dead, but if they're too moist, they can grow mold.
View Quote
Thank you for telling me this!  I forget they need to be kept properly and I don’t have a humidor.  Stupid question, do I leave the zip loc bag with the cigar in it open and then put it in the second zip loc and seal that one?
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thank you for telling me this!  I forget they need to be kept properly and I don’t have a humidor.  Stupid question, do I leave the zip loc bag with the cigar in it open and then put it in the second zip loc and seal that one?
View Quote
I would find the smallest zip-Loc bag possible that would fit the cigars, remove/suck out as much air as possible, and zip it. The cigars will equalize the humidity inside the bag, and by removing as much air as possible, they won't have to give up too much moisture to do it.

Then, place the sealed bag inside another bag with the wet paper towel, and then seal the outer bag. What this does is create an atmosphere of higher humidity outside your cigars. If the inner bag loses its integrity, moisture will come in, as opposed to moisture going out of the cigars.

Or, you can just buy a Boveda humidifier pack when you buy your sticks, then just shove everything in the sealed zip-Loc bag.

PS - I prefer the thicker freezer bags, compared to the thinner plastic of storage and/or sandwich bags.

Amazon Product
  • Never guess if or when to refill your humidifier again
  • Cycles in humidity are eliminated
  • No more hassle of using distilled water

Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:20:44 AM EDT
[#5]
You could forego all that and buy cigars in tubes, metal or glass. There is a nice store in Hickory, NC.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:25:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You could forego all that and buy cigars in tubes, metal or glass. There is a nice store in Hickory, NC.
View Quote
Unless it's a wax-sealed glass tube, the cigar can and will dry out if not stored in a humidor.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Padron is a great brand the 1964 series in particular that would be enjoyed by most cigar smokers as something special and not an every day smoke.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Which one is it, when I googled there were 3 that came up?  Hickory is about an 1:30 minutes south of me, so it would be either there or Winston-Salem.  Appreciate all the help fellas
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Which one is it, when I googled there were 3 that came up?  Hickory is about an 1:30 minutes south of me, so it would be either there or Winston-Salem.  Appreciate all the help fellas
View Quote
You could also save yourself the drive and order them online.  Cheaper too.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there a specific place people order from online?
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 1:06:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
cigar.com or cigarsdaily.com for me
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thompson or cigars international for me.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I would find the smallest zip-Loc bag possible that would fit the cigars, remove/suck out as much air as possible, and zip it. The cigars will equalize the humidity inside the bag, and by removing as much air as possible, they won't have to give up too much moisture to do it.

Then, place the sealed bag inside another bag with the wet paper towel, and then seal the outer bag. What this does is create an atmosphere of higher humidity outside your cigars. If the inner bag loses its integrity, moisture will come in, as opposed to moisture going out of the cigars.

Or, you can just buy a Boveda humidifier pack when you buy your sticks, then just shove everything in the sealed zip-Loc bag.

PS - I prefer the thicker freezer bags, compared to the thinner plastic of storage and/or sandwich bags.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00FWPQ9D0
View Quote
Get a Boveda pack. Do not put $50 worth of high end cigars into a Ziplock with a wet paper towel. Most shops selling nice cigars will have Boveda packs.

As stated above, the A. Fuente Opus X is a classic, and is Padron. Liga Privada and Southern Draw are two other manufacturers I like quite a bit.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I plan on getting the Boveda bag for sure.  I'm going to be honest with you all, I am overwhelmed at the variety!  I was thinking that the cigars mentioned were just one type, not a name for a number of different types of that name.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 11:40:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I plan on getting the Boveda bag for sure.  I'm going to be honest with you all, I am overwhelmed at the variety!  I was thinking that the cigars mentioned were just one type, not a name for a number of different types of that name.
View Quote
https://m.thompsoncigar.com/p/padron-no-88-sampler-natural/70299/#p-144193
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Well ended up getting Arturo Fuente Opus X Lost City Toro Colorado and picked up the Boveda bags to keep them in.  Hopefully, this was a good choice  I really appreciate everyone's help.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 1:44:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Any cigar guy would be happy to receive a few Opus X as a gift. Take good care of them, you did well!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top