Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2018 8:58:34 PM EDT
I have one from a while ago. It sits on my dresser.

I've thought about wearing it under my shirt, I have no desire to "flaunt" it.

I'm conflicted because I could see it as idolatry, but if I just keep it there as a reminder and (obviously) don't worship the object, is it really idolatry?
What do you think?

I'm against it as a fashion accessory, definitely. But is under the shirt any different? I like it either way, it's symbolic meaning towards what I believe is cool to me.

For reference, I have zero other religious references in my home, aside from a bible. No pictures, etc.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want to wear it, wear it.  Don’t worry about it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want to wear it, wear it.  Don’t worry about it.
View Quote
Screen name appropriate.

Also, just thinking it's a tool of Christ's death. Unlike, say, the fish which was a covert way for Christians to self identify when in fear of persecution.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#3]
If it reminds you to look towards Him as you go through your day, then FO. If it causes you to be self conscious or if you're wearing it not to His glory, then maybe leave it on the dresser.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If it reminds you to look towards Him as you go through your day, then FO. If it causes you to be self conscious or if you're wearing it not to His glory, then maybe leave it on the dresser.
View Quote
Not sure either way. That's why it has stayed there. I like seeing it, though.

Edit: I would never be self conscious about it. I believe in God. I'm just not sure if it is proper or worse, a form of idolatry.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:40:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Wear it and let it remind you if his sacrifice and love for us.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
You don't think it's idolatry?

Would a fish or something have the same meaning to me while avoid angering God? Should I wear the means in which Christ was tortured? These are my questions.

I'm sure some of you guys are better Christians than me. I believe in Jesus and the Lord, but I don't spread his word. I kinda keep my beliefs to myself. Occasionally, I'll speak my beliefs with friends. I don't always lead a Christian life, and weirdly enough, I love talking with Mormons, even though I don't believe in their third book.

But I like it when I see it. It reminds me of my beliefs.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#7]
If you feel like a laugh on this topic, search for “Bill Hicks crosses” on YouTube.

I’d post a link, but this is the Christian forum and this has fould language and blasphemy galore.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#8]
The Cross appears almost everywhere in Christianity as a reminder of the price paid for us. Idolatry would be worshipping or praying to a false entity. You describe wearing it for reasons of faith and love for Christ, your concerns for not wearing it sound like concerns of legalism, something unfavorable to Jesus.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you feel like a laugh on this topic, search for “Bill Hicks crosses” on YouTube.

I’d post a link, but this is the Christian forum and this has fould language and blasphemy galore.
View Quote
I appreciate humor, even self deprecating humor. But not what i'm looking for here. I'm not butthurt, if you'd posted this in GD i'd have a good laugh. This thread is just kinda exploring Christianity.
Quoted:
The Cross appears almost everywhere in Christianity as a reminder of the price paid for us. Idolatry would be worshipping or praying to a false entity. You describe wearing it for reasons of faith and love for Christ, your concerns for not wearing it sound like concerns of legalism, something unfavorable to Jesus.
View Quote
Your biblical knowledge no doubt exceeds mine.

Would you find a fish to be a more humble representation of Christ, or do you think I'm overthinking things?
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't want to tell you you're over thinking, these are very personal decisions that you should make with a private dialog between yourself and Christ. For me, I don't think He'd mind the symbolism if you've made the decision to follow Him.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:47:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Edit: I would never be self conscious about it. I believe in God. I'm just not sure if it is proper or worse, a form of idolatry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've never known of anyone to complain about it, either from their personal subjective viewpoint or from an objective theology base. I don't believe that any item serves a form of idolatry, it's your mindset towards the item. If I treat an item as my god, if I worship it and allow it to control me, my emotions, acts, thoughts, feelings, etc - that's idolatry. That could be a CD I'm sentimental towards or an actual idol. Conversely, and perhaps controversially, I believe that one could have an actual straight up "idol." But if they treat it like an art piece and don't think much of it otherwise, then it may not qualify for idolatry whereas their newest AR build very likely might.

Matthew 6:5-6

And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
I'd say that someone is much better off wearing a cross quietly under their shirt for personal reasons than someone who goes on and on about how they don't wear a cross or idolize anything (other than themselves, of course).

It's a personal decision for sure. But imo, you may be overthinking it a little bit. In the end, it's a piece of metal to hang around your neck. What shape an item is in doesn't much matter, it's what shape your heart is in.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
I mostly agree with this.  I always carry a crucifix.  That said, I'm Catholic and I get accused of idolatry all the time.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I mostly agree with this.  I always carry a crucifix.  That said, I'm Catholic and I get accused of idolatry all the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beat me to it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#14]
To me it would be idolatry.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn’t wear one, but I don’t see anything wrong with it at all.

It isn’t like you’re worshiping that object.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Do you think if Jesus appeared in front of you he would start giving you shit about it? That’s how I gauge things.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Do you think if Jesus appeared in front of you he would start giving you shit about it? That’s how I gauge things.
View Quote
I have no clue. That's why I posed the question. I think normal day to day decisions are easier and more clear cut.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I personally wear my cross (three nails design) 100% of the time as a physical reminder of the cost of my grace. A gift I received that I'd never be able to earn. I look at my cross as Christ's dog tag. In that perspective, I don't feel it's appropriate to flaunt it, but I'm never embarrassed the times it occasionally falls outside my shirt.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#19]
If I wear one.

It is a symbol and a self reminder that

I belong to Christ.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I think its fair to say that this falls in the 1 Corinthians 8 category.

If it feels like idolatry, don't do it.  If it doesn't, do it.

Personally I don't, but that doesn't make it wrong by any stretch.

It doesn't sound like you're using it in an idolatrous way so if you want to, wear it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm conflicted because I could see it as idolatry, but if I just keep it there as a reminder and (obviously) don't worship the object, is it really idolatry?
What do you think?

I'm against it as a fashion accessory, definitely. But is under the shirt any different? I like it either way, it's symbolic meaning towards what I believe is cool to me.

For reference, I have zero other religious references in my home, aside from a bible. No pictures, etc.
View Quote
If it is a sin to you, don't do it. I think Romans 14, or 1 Cor 8, is the principle to be applied.  If it isn't a sin to you, feel free as long as it is not a stumbling block for others.  You seem to be mentally thinking along those lines anyway, just know that Paul was right there with you.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:53:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Would a fish or something have the same meaning to me while avoid angering God? Should I wear the means in which Christ was tortured? These are my questions.

I'm sure some of you guys are better Christians than me. I believe in Jesus and the Lord, but I don't spread his word. I kinda keep my beliefs to myself. Occasionally, I'll speak my beliefs with friends. I don't always lead a Christian life, and weirdly enough, I love talking with Mormons, even though I don't believe in their third book.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's in your heart is far more important than what is around your neck. Have you prayed about this and asked for guidance?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If it is a sin to you, don't do it. I think Romans 14, or 1 Cor 8, is the principle to be applied.  If it isn't a sin to you, feel free as long as it is not a stumbling block for others.  You seem to be mentally thinking along those lines anyway, just know that Paul was right there with you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you think?

Yeah I wore it today and took it off after work.

Maybe I'm not supposed to, maybe I'm just not used to wearing a necklace. I'm just gonna hang on to it, I think.

I didn't feel like God hated me or anything crazy, it just didn't feel right.

I liked the aspect of a physical representation of my beliefs (even if only I knew, no one else noticed) but I think God and Jesus are personal relationships. I don't want to get away from that.

God helped me find my sister's car wreck a decade ago... that was creepy. I think I'll just focus on my relationship with him.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:22:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What's in your heart is far more important than what is around your neck. Have you prayed about this and asked for guidance?
View Quote
No. I guess all the years of it sitting there kinda reminded me I need to be a better Christian.

Thanks for your post.

I thought "I believe in God, why is this symbol not worn as a personal statement to myself? A reminder. "

After introspection, maybe I just need to make a more active effort to talk to God.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 9:41:59 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a military style stainless steel cross that I wear on a beaded chain.   I wear it under my shirt and undershirt, so its not visible and it sits over my breastbone.  I wear it for me, just to remind myself who I am.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Are you sacrificing/burning any unblemished heifers/doves/humans for it?
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#27]
As a Mormon (and yes, I realize there's plenty of disagreement about whether we're Christian or not), I will simply add that you will NEVER see a cross on an LDS church building or temple.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
As a Mormon (and yes, I realize there's plenty of disagreement about whether we're Christian or not), I will simply add that you will NEVER see a cross on an LDS church building or temple.
View Quote
I don't see any valid argument you aren't. Most Mormons are very well versed in the first and second testaments. You just have a third book. That's how I see it.

Appreciate you chiming in, and am curious why is that there aren't any crosses in the LDS church? I'm a Christian, but I've been a member of a wide variety of churches. Not only have I moved, but I like to sit in on services and (being honest) sometimes I disagree with certain churches teachings, even within being a protestant. (For example, I can't accept God loves everything, nor that he hates everything, nor do I like politics in church. )

But back to the point, crosses are present in both Catholicism and Protestant churches. Why not yours?
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't see any valid argument you aren't. Most Mormons are very well versed in the first and second testaments. You just have a third book. That's how I see it.

Appreciate you chiming in, and am curious why is that there aren't any crosses in the LDS church? I'm a Christian, but I've been a member of a wide variety of churches. Not only have I moved, but I like to sit in on services and (being honest) sometimes I disagree with certain churches teachings, even within being a protestant. (For example, I can't accept God loves everything, nor that he hates everything, nor do I like politics in church. )

But back to the point, crosses are present in both Catholicism and Protestant churches. Why not yours?
View Quote
Here's the easiest answer:

https://www.lds.org/topics/cross?lang=eng

Here's a longer talk given by one of our General Authorities:

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2011/07/the-meaning-of-the-cross-for-latter-day-saints?lang=eng

And finally, I did find one exception. LDS military chaplains wear crosses as part of their uniform, as a manner of identification.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2011/07/the-meaning-of-the-cross-for-latter-day-saints?lang=eng

And finally, I did find one exception. LDS military chaplains wear crosses as part of their uniform, as a manner of identification.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. I've always found LDS missionaries to be polite and biblically knowledgeable. That being said, your links imply LDS believes Christ lives.

Do you not believe he died on the cross? Honest question, I have no problem with Mormons.

“I do not wish to give offense to any of my Christiancolleagues who use the cross on the steeples of their cathedrals and at the altars of their chapels, who wear it on their vestments, and imprint it on their books and other literature. But for us, the cross is the symbol of the dying Christ, while our message is a declaration of the Living Christ. …
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Interesting. I've always found LDS missionaries to be polite and biblically knowledgeable. That being said, your links imply LDS believes Christ lives.

Do you not believe he died on the cross? Honest question, I have no problem with Mormons.
View Quote
We definitely do believe that he was crucified and died on the cross and was resurrected 3 days later. But as the speaker points out in the LDS Ensign speech I linked, the empty cross is simply an empty cross and the instrument used to crucify the Savior. As such, it doesn't really hold any significance for us.

A more confrontational response might be, "If a loved one was killed with a sword and then rose again, why would you revere the sword, the very instrument used to kill them?" Instead, revere the risen Lord.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:42:04 PM EDT
[#32]
When I joined the Navy in '77, my mother (God rest her soul) sent me an Episcopal Serviceman's Cross.  It is the only religious symbol that I wear now, only occasionally,  and it's more to remind me about my service to God and man, than it is to display my faith.

Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:50:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It's a personal decision for sure. But imo, you may be overthinking it a little bit. In the end, it's a piece of metal to hang around your neck. What shape an item is in doesn't much matter, it's what shape your heart is in.
View Quote
Another Latter-Day Saint here. I love what this poster said.

Within the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS or slangily called "Mormon") we don't really utilize the symbol of the cross. We prefer to focus on the resurrected, risen Jesus Christ.

With that said, I will echo what StraightMiataMan said. If an object helps you member Christ in your daily life, it doesn't matter the shape. I wouldn't worry about "worshiping" it because you wouldn't be asking these questions if you were. If you don't want/need the reminder in the form of an object, then just do your best to remember him in your mind and heart.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Would you mind explaining the underlined part? Not attacking, I'm curious as to why you would choose to not spread the word
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#35]
I wear mine everyday usually under my shirt but outside when off work.  To me, it is just a symbol of my faith.  Nothing would change if I didn't wear it but I've worn one for the majority of my life so it is part of me now.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Would you mind explaining the underlined part? Not attacking, I'm curious as to why you would choose to not spread the word
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most people already have their belief system decided.  That's all. Most discussions (ESPECIALLY with atheists) aren't very productive ones.

Now, when people ask me? Definitely. Especially agnostic friends. Now that comes up a few times a year.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Celtic Cross checking in.

My girlfriend gave me a Celtic Cross made in Scotland suspended by an Itlalian chain.
It has been removed only 3 times in many years.
I treasure this gift.

There have been times when I question its exposure.
Admittedly, mostly in the increasing presence of Muslims, who seem to have no compunction to conceal their beliefs.

Short of getting my head cut off while driving the bus,  I must maintain and defend my Faith while respecting our differing opinions.

"Change my mind, or, Prove me wrong" responses will result in epic Crusade fashion.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:57:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Most people already have their belief system decided.  That's all. Most discussions (ESPECIALLY with atheists) aren't very productive ones.

Now, when people ask me? Definitely. Especially agnostic friends. Now that comes up a few times a year.
View Quote
Gotcha. So a follow up, what's your view on our responsibility to be disciples and disciple makers?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Gotcha. So a follow up, what's your view on our responsibility to be disciples and disciple makers?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If we can help someone get there, I think it's our responsibility to do so.

Let's take guns as an analogy. Should I knock on everyone's door and start telling them "shall not be infringed, repeal the NFA now!" Or, when a friend or coworker decides they want to buy a gun, should I take them under my wing? Show them proper weapons handling, the gun safety rules, ammunition selection and go with them to the range a few times, providing pointers?

Which is a better use of time and effort?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#40]
I wear a cross every day.  I wear it under my shirt but, don't care if it falls out and is seen.  I do it as others have said, as a reminder of the price that was paid for my salvation.

Matthew 10:26-33 also applies in my case.  The good word is a gift from God to be shared with others freely.  By wearing the cross others may see it and ask about it.  That can open the door to sharing the gift of the Gospel.

26 "So have no fear of them, for nothing is covered that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known. 27 What I tell you in the dark, say in the light, and what you hear whispered, proclaim on the housetops. 28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.[a] 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. 30 But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows. 32 [b]So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven, 33 but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Let's take guns as an analogy. Should I knock on everyone's door and start telling them "shall not be infringed, repeal the NFA now!" Or, when a friend or coworker decides they want to buy a gun, should I take them under my wing? Show them proper weapons handling, the gun safety rules, ammunition selection and go with them to the range a few times, providing pointers?

View Quote
I get your analogy, but I can't agree with you, personally. Spreading the word and bringing people to the kingdom, to me, is of much greater importance in the long run, do you agree?

Anytime you witness it's not a waste of time or energy. Even if the person you were talking to wasn't ready or moved, you never know who's listening, and that very well may be who God intended the message for.

I'm not trying to argue, btw, I like having these discussions with other believers and hearing other perspectives
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I get your analogy, but I can't agree with you, personally. Spreading the word and bringing people to the kingdom, to me, is of much greater importance in the long run, do you agree?

Anytime you witness it's not a waste of time or energy. Even if the person you were talking to wasn't ready or moved, you never know who's listening, and that very well may be who God intended the message for.

I'm not trying to argue, btw, I like having these discussions with other believers and hearing other perspectives
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No worries, I don't take it as an argument, just a discussion.

Yeah, definitely it's awesome to see someone's light turn on. Where we disagree is whether someone else can turn the switch for them. Religion, much like intelligent political beliefs must come from a desire to understand. Whether you want to understand God or understand what type of government should rule you, and what their powers should justly be.

There has to be a desire to be with God, to worship him, to find him in things or acts in your life. Again, I'm not the best Christian. My biblical knowledge is above basic, but not ideal. However, I still have no doubts in my beliefs and can find God as I go through life. Do I probably miss opportunities to find and see Good? Absolutely I do. And I'm a believer.

I don't think you can change minds, but rather be a helpful guide when someone else is changing their beliefs or questioning their own beliefs. That's very valuable. I mean look at how the majority of the country treats Mormons.  I'm always polite to them, I'll talk to them, etc.  I've even accepted a Book of Mormon. But i'm still firm in my two book belief. The missionaries aren't going to change my mind. Now as fellow Christians I stil treat them well and respect them, but I try not to waste their time as my mind is made up. Feel the same way about Jews. They're my brothers and sisters, (with one book) but I'm not going to convert to Judaism because I believe Christ was the son of God.

So I like both Mormons and Jews, and their beliefs and values VERY closely match my own, but I'm still a protestant Christian... if that makes sense
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yeah, definitely it's awesome to see someone's light turn on. Where we disagree is whether someone else can turn the switch for them. Religion, much like intelligent political beliefs must come from a desire to understand. Whether you want to understand God or understand what type of government should rule you, and what their powers should justly be.

There has to be a desire to be with God, to worship him, to find him in things or acts in your life. Again, I'm not the best Christian. My biblical knowledge is above basic, but not ideal. However, I still have no doubts in my beliefs and can find God as I go through life. Do I probably miss opportunities to find and see Good? Absolutely I do. And I'm a believer.

I don't think you can change minds, but rather be a helpful guide when someone else is changing their beliefs or questioning their own beliefs. That's very valuable. I mean look at how the majority of the country treats Mormons.  I'm always polite to them, I'll talk to them, etc.  I've even accepted a Book of Mormon. But i'm still firm in my two book belief. The missionaries aren't going to change my mind. Now as fellow Christians I stil treat them well and respect them, but I try not to waste their time as my mind is made up. Feel the same way about Jews. They're my brothers and sisters, (with one book) but I'm not going to convert to Judaism because I believe Christ was the son of God.

So I like both Mormons and Jews, and their beliefs and values VERY closely match my own, but I'm still a protestant Christian... if that makes sense
View Quote
I agree people have to want to change, but I also believe God uses us to plant those seeds in people who maybe don't even consciously realize they want to change yet. Sometimes it's just as simple as giving a bit of our testimony to make it relatable to them and realize that they aren't on an island with whatever is going on in their lives, or a small blessing when they're down, or even a kid word.

I think a lot of people have been pushed away from Christ because of religion and people. I was one of those people, I had a lot of anger towards God and blamed him for things that happened in my life, and then I'd go to church and it would be compounded because the "religious" people there would make you feel like you were on an island if you didn't dress a certain way, or look at certain way, etc. Having someone that can bring it to your level, relate to you, and share the word with you can definitely soften your heart
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Cashier at Starbucks had a crucifix on yesterday (relax, the coffee was for my wife).  I complemented her on it, which prompted her to share a bit of her faith.  Apparently, she's Greek Orthodox and that crucifix was her baptismal one, which she has worn since a baby.  I thought that was pretty cool.

While I'm not a jewelry kind of guy myself, I always try to complement people on who wear crucifixes or crosses.  I find that it brightens their day and mine.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:07:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I agree people have to want to change, but I also believe God uses us to plant those seeds in people who maybe don't even consciously realize they want to change yet. Sometimes it's just as simple as giving a bit of our testimony to make it relatable to them and realize that they aren't on an island with whatever is going on in their lives, or a small blessing when they're down, or even a kid word.

I think a lot of people have been pushed away from Christ because of religion and people. I was one of those people, I had a lot of anger towards God and blamed him for things that happened in my life, and then I'd go to church and it would be compounded because the "religious" people there would make you feel like you were on an island if you didn't dress a certain way, or look at certain way, etc. Having someone that can bring it to your level, relate to you, and share the word with you can definitely soften your heart
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair point. Sometimes steadfast faith is comforting. I liken it to a mother in earthly terms.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Cashier at Starbucks had a crucifix on yesterday (relax, the coffee was for my wife).  I complemented her on it, which prompted her to share a bit of her faith.  Apparently, she's Greek Orthodox and that crucifix was her baptismal one, which she has worn since a baby.  I thought that was pretty cool.

While I'm not a jewelry kind of guy myself, I always try to complement people on who wear crucifixes or crosses.  I find that it brightens their day and mine.
View Quote
I'm not a jewelry guy either. I wore it one day after I started this thread, and it's just not for me. It still sits on my dresser.

I do think Christianity is important, especially fellowship. Judeo/Christian values are the bedrock of the western world. Plain and simple.

On the reverse, as I mentioned earlier, I tend to keep my faith to myself. Maybe I'm missing out. With all the catholic scandals in the news and Islam being normalized in Western society, perhaps I should take small steps.

A compliment on a cross certainly isn't overbearing or intrusive, and you got a nice bit of fellowship out of it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#47]
My wife and I have the same thought about crosses.  I see them as something to remember what Jesus went through to save us.  I don't mind others wearing them.  But it's just not something we feel comfortable wearing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Not required, but as long as you're using it as a reminder and not using it as a magical talisman you're fine.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm not a jewelry guy either. I wore it one day after I started this thread, and it's just not for me. It still sits on my dresser.
View Quote
Yeah, same.

Part of me would like to wear a cross or medal or something, but having things around my neck just bothers the heck out of me.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:45:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I do think Christianity is important, especially fellowship. Judeo/Christian values are the bedrock of the western world. Plain and simple.

On the reverse, as I mentioned earlier, I tend to keep my faith to myself. Maybe I'm missing out. With all the catholic scandals in the news and Islam being normalized in Western society, perhaps I should take small steps.

A compliment on a cross certainly isn't overbearing or intrusive, and you got a nice bit of fellowship out of it.
View Quote
The focus on discipleship has been lost over the years in a lot of circles. I think many people have either been failed by their reliance on their teachers, who like to be put on pedestals, and also by their own lack of bible study and don't understand that we were all intended to be disciples and disciple makers, and our intended purpose as Christians is to glorify God through our outward lives, discipleship, and growing the kingdom
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top