Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2020 10:11:14 PM EDT
Going to go look at a couple of older pickups this week, and figured it wouldn't hurt to get some opinions and/or knowledge.  Usage will be general household hauling and towing my track car to events in an open trailer, with a possible enclosed trailer in the future.  My experience so far has been limited to Ford trucks (95 F150 and 00 Excursion V-10), but these are both Chevys, gas, 4x4, and just over 200k miles.

Contestant number one is a 2002 CCSB 2500.  Known issues are an A/C leak and an intermittent ABS sensor light. Has newer BFG KO2s, and looks to be in good shape for it's age and miles. Asking $6500.

Contestant number 2 is appreciably newer but similar mileage: a 2009 CCLB 3500.  No reported issues, but it has a strait pipe cat-back that I'd want to replace and silly mud tires of unknown brand.  Asking $9k.

The more I'm thinking about it, the less interested I get in the 2009.  Yes, it is newer and has the 6-speed versus the older 4-speed, but the exhaust mods and mud tires probably means it's had a rough life.  

Anything I should know about this vintage of truck?  I know the LS motor is good to go, what about the transmissions?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:44:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an '03 Silverado, diesel, but basically the same truck. The ABS light is either a wheel bearing, super easy fix, or the ABS module. Seeing that it's intermittent, I'm going with bearing. Once the module goes, the light usually stays on all the time. I'm at 208k on mine, and it's a good truck. If it wasn't paid for, and I hadn't sunk a ton of money in to the engine, I'd dump it in a heartbeat for something newer!!

I'd probably go for the '09 myself. I hate the steering setup on my '03, and I like the interior better on the newer trucks. However, if it had the AFM setup that goes thru cams, I'd pass on the '09 immediately. We're constantly getting the AFM equipped trucks in that need a cam and lifters. It's a big job, nobody wants to pay for.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:05:30 PM EDT
[#2]
2002 is probably the ground wire to the abs unit, but get it on a lift just to make sure it's not the wheel bearings.

If the fuel pump has been replaced that generation is sturdy. Not the most efficient and looks are getting dated but hard to kill.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:33:12 PM EDT
[#3]
if they are both gas then they both should have the 6.0l engine and i don't think they had afm/dod lifter cam eater issue. the 3500 would have beefier everything and if heavy loads would be better. i would say the 6 speed would be what i would want over a 4 speed 4l80.  after the initial  shake down of ether, i would look to put on a tru-cool 40,000k trans cooler on both.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:48:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, both are 6.0 motors.  In the meantime, a challenger appeared: a 2002 2500 CCSB with the 8.1/Allison combo. Only 143k miles, $7k asking. Will probably look at that one instead of the 02 in my OP tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 3:09:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, both are 6.0 motors.  In the meantime, a challenger appeared: a 2002 2500 CCSB with the 8.1/Allison combo. Only 143k miles, $7k asking. Will probably look at that one instead of the 02 in my OP tomorrow.
View Quote

My farmer buddy who never even looks at the per gallon price when he fills up his ‘02 Duramax complains about the horrible mpg on his dad’s 8.1 gas truck.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#6]
The 6l90e is a game changer when towing compared to the 4l80e. GM nailed the tow/haul tuning on the 07.5+ too. Only draw back to the ‘09 is it’s a VVT motor.  As long as the oil was changed at regular intervals with quality oil, you will be good to go.  

I would personally lean towards the ‘09, and pull a factory exhaust out of the junk yard.  Even with mud tires, it may have just been a mall cruiser.  If it was beat on in the woods, the body would show it, the boxes especially dent easily on the 07.5 gens. The rear shock brackets twist off super easy too so, check them to see if they are bent up or have been replaced, that would help indicate if it’s seen a lot of time in the woods.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:21:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My farmer buddy who never even looks at the per gallon price when he fills up his ‘02 Duramax complains about the horrible mpg on his dad’s 8.1 gas truck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is replacing a V-10 Excursion, so I'm used to single-digit fuel economy.

The 6l90e is a game changer when towing compared to the 4l80e. GM nailed the tow/haul tuning on the 07.5+ too. Only draw back to the ‘09 is it’s a VVT motor.  As long as the oil was changed at regular intervals with quality oil, you will be good to go.  

I would personally lean towards the ‘09, and pull a factory exhaust out of the junk yard.  Even with mud tires, it may have just been a mall cruiser.  If it was beat on in the woods, the body would show it, the boxes especially dent easily on the 07.5 gens. The rear shock brackets twist off super easy too so, check them to see if they are bent up or have been replaced, that would help indicate if it’s seen a lot of time in the woods.

Thanks for the things to look out for.  The seller appears to be quite the off-road enthusiast, but has dedicated rigs from what I can see of his FB profile.  So while it's been off road, it probably hasn't hit the trails. Back in contention!
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:57:56 PM EDT
[#8]
The 8.1 truck was in rougher shape than it first appeared. Too bad, the power train felt pretty nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top