Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:32:02 PM EDT
[#1]
It's what happens when a company contracts manufacturing to the PRC.  They learn how to make the product.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

These had the exact font and size... when I say that these could pass for real if not for those two giveaways, I mean it. The faint blue glow was the biggest giveaway, and I might not have ever noticed that as I am near deaf in my left year so I often don't use the left earbud. The Spatial Audio most users probably would never enable.

What another poster said was spot on, consumer electronic stores will continue for this very reason, they might be the only place you can trust.
View Quote

I doubt it.  The store employees are not vetting the ordering, that is by some corporate purchaser.  They have their supply chains and buyers what makes you think they too won't be duped into buying counterfeit items?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What'll really cook your noodle is when you realize the real LV purse and the fake one both come outta the same factory. The fake one just gets funneled into the gray market distribution pathway
View Quote
I didn't realize the French were counterfeiting purses...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:39:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The real things are made in China so it’s probably pretty easy for them to reverse engineer the things or ex employees making side money
View Quote

Those fuckers run them right off the same assembly line after hours many times.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The real things are made in China so it’s probably pretty easy for them to reverse engineer the things or ex employees making side money
View Quote

Not just online. Ive been seeing ads for those new side opening kitchen  can openers. My new one took a dump after just a year, so I've taken interest in the commercials. The ads boast: "Not available on Amazon" and a price of $29.95.

Saw a side open type at the store that looked almost identical for $19.95. You know something as new and different as that has to be within it's patent protection span. Chinese ripping off Chinese.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I would rather buy used than fake Chinese stuff.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

One of my term papers for Embry-Riddle was on counterfeit aircraft components. I think it's dated 1995...

All fun and games until you understand they've been caught black-marketing engine fan blades. Enjoy your flight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They also make counterfeit parts for commercial aircraft.

One of my term papers for Embry-Riddle was on counterfeit aircraft components. I think it's dated 1995...

All fun and games until you understand they've been caught black-marketing engine fan blades. Enjoy your flight.

How much chinesium metal is too much chinesium metal in aircraft engines?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would rather buy used than fake Chinese stuff.
View Quote

I thought I was buying used, they were advertised as refurbished.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You should see the fake Omega watches

Amusingly it might get to the point where the fakes are actually better than the originals
View Quote

Norinco 1911 comes to mind.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Used to work in commercial nuke industry. Five years removed from that.

We got an industry notice around ten years ago that Chinese copies were getting to the point of indistinguishable. Timken bearings were one example, possibly copied right down to Made in USA on the box.

View Quote

A lot of Timken product IS MADE IN CHINA.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#11]
OP complains about a fake product made in asshole China,  in which real product is made in asshole china.

OP is retarded.

Just go and buy the fake outright, its made in the same dam factory.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How much chinesium metal is too much chinesium metal in aircraft engines?
View Quote

Funny part is both the NTSB and the FAA were all too aware of what was going on 25 years ago, and were almost completely ineffectual at stopping it. At this point I doubt they're even trying.

The other problem they were having wasn't counterfeit components, it was parts scavenged off crashed aircraft. That's, um, frowned upon. When one of the H-Model Gunships sorta/kinda crash landed on Hurlburt's runway, we had to move heaven and earth to get permission to reuse components that hadn't been manufactured in years, and they were approved only after insanely intensive NDI.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#13]
The last time I got something counterfeit on eBay(also from a seller with tons of positive feedback) I got my money refunded but they removed my negative feedback where I said the item was counterfeit.  I figured eBay cared more about the fees the seller generated than stopping the sale of counterfeit goods.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:27:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP complains about a fake product made in asshole China,  in which real product is made in asshole china.

OP is retarded.

Just go and buy the fake outright, its made in the same dam factory.
View Quote

They may well be, but it is not the same product as outlined in my posts. I may be retarded, but that makes you braindead Chump.

Thanks for playing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#15]
So what did you pay?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Another issue sometimes is sizing / measurements.

I bought a NATO-style 1 -piece watch band off of Amazon recently, that was advertised to fit "up to 9" wrists". My wrist is 8".

When I got it, the total length of the watch band was 9". I could barely get the last hole to fit the clasp, with nowhere near enough leftover strap to slip under the strap holder. Seller was a US seller, but nowhere in the ad did it say the watch band was foreign-sourced. However, the package had in very fine print "Made in China" on the back, at the bottom. Overall, the quality of the watch band was good, but just not big enough.

I contacted Amazon about the misleading advertising from the seller and got a full refund from Amazon. I also made a negative review for the seller for not disclosing the source and for the sizing error.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Whats spacial audio?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I know a guy who bought eight Shure Beta 58 microphones for a shockingly good price.  They turned out to be "couterfeit".  Problem is, they are probably Shures that just got stolen from the factory.  Other than no warranty they are every bit the same.  I don't know how companies put up with shit like that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Fakes probably come out of the same factory.

Make them for $1, sell them for $50 vs make them for $1, sell them to Apple for $25, and apple sells them for $100.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make them for $1, sell them for $50 vs make them for $1, sell them to Apple for $25, and apple sells them for $100.

This happened to Reebok many, many years ago. "Counterfeit" sneakers were traced back to the factory making them for Reebok.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Wait a second.

You THOUGHT you were buying something USED from eBay to stick in your ears and are disappointed that they're just a Chinese copy instead?

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So what did you pay?
View Quote

$125. Priced around what I figured refurbs might go for.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#22]
out for the change
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Some China guy is laughing reading that, probably yelling out to Pang Pang "I made both of those!".
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wait a second.

You THOUGHT you were buying something USED from eBay to stick in your ears and are disappointed that they're just a Chinese copy instead?

View Quote

Refurbs are generally sanitized with new ear cups. A little rubbing alcohol and a UV sanitizer deal with any potential issues. I swear, some of you are afraid of your own shadow. I've been kicking cancer's ass for four years, a little ear wax doesn't scare me... if there were any.

These were clearly not "refurbs," they were brand new. Seller either bought them honestly thinking they were refurbs OR he was calling them refurbs to try to skirt the counterfeit label.

Now if you want to talk about the used Ben Wa balls I bought from the same seller for my wife...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They also make counterfeit parts for commercial aircraft.
View Quote

that's scary.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#26]
This is why I only buy my charging handles directly from Stag Arms. Usually on Black Friday.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This is why I only buy my charging handles directly from Stag Arms. Usually on Black Friday.
View Quote

I understood that reference...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Damn, burned an account with nearly 15,000 positives!
View Quote

The Chinese seed positive reviews. Likely the reviews are as fake as the products.

Apple stuff is a big target for counterfeiters, so always buy apple stuff from Apple's own store.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I would never buy something like that on eBay lol
View Quote

Amazon is awash in the stuff too. Yet another reason to kick them to the curb. And it’s not even as easy to spot as in “yeah this is way underpriced it’s gotta be counterfeit”

At least if you buy the MeLoveYouLongTime brand ear buds you know they’re just copies of 100 others sold under a different name
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The real things are made in China so it's probably pretty easy for them to reverse engineer the things or ex employees making side money
View Quote
Sometimes they are production items run on the production line during off hours.

Motorola in China discovered there was a second shift coming in after normal hours, building a bunch of cell phones in factory packaging, then taking the new product out the door, all off the books. These off-the-books but genuine product are then sold on the street at full retail....
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Made in the same factory, by the same people, on the same equipment.
View Quote

Telescope stuff is like this too. I scored some really nice eyepieces branded as SVBony/Meoptex.

Basically the same pieces are rebranded by Meade/Omegon/Celestron/Etc and sold for $80-100 each and are made in the same factory. While the lenses I picked up only cost me $30 each.

Hell a lot of entry level telescopes look exactly the same between brands.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#32]
An used earset from who know who? Sounds disgusting.

Yeah, gonna pass hard on that one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Refurbs are generally sanitized with new ear cups. A little rubbing alcohol and a UV sanitizer deal with any potential issues. I swear, some of you are afraid of your own shadow. I've been kicking cancer's ass for four years, a little ear wax doesn't scare me... if there were any.

These were clearly not "refurbs," they were brand new. Seller either bought them honestly thinking they were refurbs OR he was calling them refurbs to try to skirt the counterfeit label.

Now if you want to talk about the used Ben Wa balls I bought from the same seller for my wife...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait a second.

To each his own, but personally I'll take a Hard Pass on sharing bodily fluids with Wun Hung Lo.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

$125. Priced around what I figured refurbs might go for.
View Quote

The Wirecutter is a good resource for reviews and current sales/deals.  I've seen Pros as low as 169.  Still 45 bucks, but i'd spend that for brand new if it were me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
An used earset from who know who? Sounds disgusting.

Yeah, gonna pass hard on that one.
View Quote

Candyass

Curious, when you go to a restaurant and eat and drink, do you bring your own utensils, glasses and plates? Or do you understand that things can be cleaned, either by you or someone else?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The Wirecutter is a good resource for reviews and current sales/deals.  I've seen Pros as low as 169.  Still 45 bucks, but i'd spend that for brand new if it were me.
View Quote

The only place I ever saw them at $169 was Walmart on Black Friday when I should have snagged them. I tried but couldn't get my order to go through and gave up.

Thanks for the tip on Wirecutter.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The only place I ever saw them at $169 was Walmart on Black Friday when I should have snagged them. I tried but couldn't get my order to go through and gave up.

Thanks for the tip on Wirecutter.
View Quote

it's a great site.  Their reviews are solid b/c people are using/testing products for months or years.  I'm pretty sure they were that low at Costco as well.  As time goes on, there will be more sales.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#38]
lol.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Candyass

Curious, when you go to a restaurant and eat and drink, do you bring your own utensils, glasses and plates? Or do you understand that things can be cleaned, either by you or someone else?
View Quote

When dining out, Elvis drank from the rim of a coffee cup just above the handle because he assumed no one else would even try that.  Some folks....
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:17:45 PM EDT
[#40]
I also got the knock-off Air Pods. My daughter has real Air Pods purchased from the Apple store. One of the differences I've noticed is battery life. Hers last for days on a charge, mine only last about 5 hours. I'm thinking that the fakes use a cheaper battery technology in order to cut the cost.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#41]
3rd shift products. Chicoms steal the IP from the mfr they are making product for, make the product under contract for Apple et al, then 3rd shift bangs out the same product to undercut the contractor. Stihl moved some manufacturing to China and it cost them dearly.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:18:38 PM EDT
[#42]
I learned the hard way about the counterfeit Leupold scopes.
Bought at a gunshow, I should have known better but I guess I'll mount it on my 270 and see if it explodes or something.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#43]
I once ordered something form Amazon, the seller went to great lengths that it was located in China, and like it arrive 6-8 weeks later. I will never order anything from Amazon again, but like buying anything from Wall-Mart, sometimes you can't avoid it.

Not from the same above vendor. I once tried to buy a battery fro my cellphone, and nobody had it except for an Amazon seller.
BTW the battery was good, it outlasted even the factory battery, it was made in Taiwan instead of China, lasted 3 years. The OEM battery was Chinese, it died 1.5 years later, duhhh?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This is precisely what is happening.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is precisely what is happening.
I know it happens in the higher-end (more expensive) apparel industry.  They literally run the same materials on the same machines as the real brand, then sell it through other channels.  2 shifts for you, 1 shift for us.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:28:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I know it happens in the higher-end (more expensive) apparel industry.  They literally run the same materials on the same machines as the real brand, then sell it through other channels.  2 shifts for you, 1 shift for us.
View Quote

See my post above.

Happens that way, but apparently (say they're making a 'designer' shirt),  they may have enough fabric for a run of 1000 shirts....but only enough buttons for 800 (or thread that's in spec., etc.), so they'll get whatever they can to use up the fabric.  If you buy the 'counterfeit' with all the proper materials, it will likely be indistinguishable.   However, if you buy one and the button cracks in the dryer, or the threads fall apart, that's what likely happened...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Well no kidding, they got the blueprints when they started making the real thing.

The company the wife unit works for got burned a few decades back.  They are now expanding into China yet again.  Lets see if they get burned once again.
View Quote

They will, without a doubt. Those fuckers steal everything, every single business. I went there regularly for a few years, and none of them are honest.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Our idiot manufacturers send all their stuff to the chinese to make.  The chinese copy the blueprints and start making them at the factory next door.  Hell they probably make them at the same factory on the second shift.
View Quote

Yup.

I'm in the motorsports industry and it happens ALL the time.

Some company outsources parts to China and within weeks, there's a cheaper copy available.

Most often though it's as mentioned, "4th shift" parts. Awful casting lines, piss poor machining, etc. It's the parts the guys who don't care about their job run or brand new employees.

I've got a customer that has a place do 5 axis machine work for them occasionally because they are cheap and I don't have a 5 axis and they had a part break that was supposed to be from heat-treated 4340.

Under FEA, it wasn't supposed to break like it did. They had it sent off to check under an XRF and it wasn't 4340. I think they said it was 1144 or something.

So good luck on the QC nowadays . . . you basically have to be your own QC
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I learned the hard way about the counterfeit Leupold scopes.
Bought at a gunshow, I should have known better but I guess I'll mount it on my 270 and see if it explodes or something.
View Quote

I got one too, but I knew it was a fake when I bought it....Stunning quality though for a fake...Clear optics, came with correct box, warranty paperwork and certificate of authenticity.

Most people would not know that it's not a real Leupold.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I’ve handled $800+ examples that were indistinguishable side-by-side from the real thing until you removed the back and examined the movement.  

View Quote

And what was the giveaway in the movement?  A sub-par copy or a great, but not OEM movement?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

And what was the giveaway in the movement?  A sub-par copy or a great, but not OEM movement?
View Quote

I have two, (Presidential and a Submariner automatic), and they run perfectly....Anti-hack, hologram and all the right look. The cost?

$60 in the Bahamas

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top