Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2020 8:18:55 PM EDT
Looking for a good authentic Chile relleno recipe. I prefer a think batter.. my favorite restaurant to get them from is closed and I am looking to make them myself.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking for a good authentic Chile relleno recipe. I prefer a think batter.. my favorite restaurant to get them from is closed and I am looking to make them myself.
View Quote

Chili Rellenos

Recipe is for 2 Chili Rellenos per person, feeding 2 people. (total 4).
Assumption is you already know how to prep peppers for use and have small slit available for inserting cheese strips. This recipe uses a cheese sauce topping instead of a red tomato salsa.
Accompanying side dishes would be the standard refried beans or black beans and Spanish rice.

Ingredients
4 – fresh Poblano Peppers, roasted and de-skinned with stems still attached. Do not use canned
5 egg whites
1 egg yolk
½ cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
½ cup Queso Asadero (white Mexican cheese)
½ cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
¼ cup Queso Fresca (comes in a small ball usually)
¾ cup all-purpose flour for dredging stuffed peppers
1 teaspoon baking powder (not soda)
1 teaspoon salt
1-2 cups vegetable oil for frying

Instructions

Melt cheeses in small sauce pan with medium to low heat just until melted, stir to mix everything and pour into small container or even ziplock freezer bag. Allow to cool in refrigerator until solid. Slice cooled cheese in sufficient sized strips to insert into Poblano peppers, fill each pepper with two or three of the cheese strips to ensure there is ample quantity inside, don’t overdo it. Try to maintain consistent amount of filling for all peppers. Pat peppers dry with paper towel. Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl with the baking powder. In a second metal bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until the whites form stiff peaks like you are making meringue. Gently fold the beaten egg whites and salt into the yolk mixture. Place flour into a shallow bowl.
Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Roll each stuffed pepper in flour, tap off excess flour, and dip the peppers into the egg mixture to coat both sides. Gently lay the coated peppers into the hot oil. Fry peppers until lightly golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2-3 minutes per side.

Cheese Sauce Topping

Ingredients
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 cup whole milk
6oz. medium cheddar, shredded (about 1.5 cups)
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp chili powder
dash of your preferred spice for taste or just skip it.

Instructions
   1. Add the butter and flour to a small sauce pot. Heat and whisk the butter and flour together until they become bubbly and foamy (it’s a roux no shit). Continue to cook and whisk the bubbly mixture for about 60 seconds to cook it.
   2. Whisk the milk into the flour and butter mixture. Turn the heat up slightly and allow the milk to come to a simmer while whisking. When it reaches a simmer, the mixture will thicken. Once it's thick enough to coat a spoon, turn off the heat.
   3. Stir in the shredded cheddar, one handful at a time, until melted into the sauce. If needed, place the pot over a low flame to help the cheese melt. Do not over heat the cheese sauce.
   4. Once all the cheese is melted into the sauce, stir in the salt and chili powder. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. If the sauce becomes too thick, simply whisk in an additional splash of milk.
   5. Spoon sauce over Chili Rellenos and serve

Personally, that's a lot of steps. I do cut corners from time to time, I have tried this recipe and it works ok - but it's a lot of work. To save time, used roasted green chili, Fresh Hatch if you can find it, canned whole if you have to. It's out of season so you are SOL finding fresh, get what you can but if fresh it must be roasted. Just roll them in Panko breadcrumbs and bake them. Way easier, i've done it and it works. Probably healthier but hell they are not healthy to begin with so why not. And a note, Poblanos can be pretty spicy, sometimes too much. That's why I recommend Green Chile.
Good luck
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had some in Mexico stuffed with cheese and mashed potatoes.
I do some on the grill, stuffed with pulled pork and cheese with a little salsa to bind the filling together.
Forgot to add, I do some with brisket too!
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Chili Rellenos

Recipe is for 2 Chili Rellenos per person, feeding 2 people. (total 4).
Assumption is you already know how to prep peppers for use and have small slit available for inserting cheese strips. This recipe uses a cheese sauce topping instead of a red tomato salsa.
Accompanying side dishes would be the standard refried beans or black beans and Spanish rice.

Ingredients
4 – fresh Poblano Peppers, roasted and de-skinned with stems still attached. Do not use canned
5 egg whites
1 egg yolk
½ cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
½ cup Queso Asadero (white Mexican cheese)
½ cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
¼ cup Queso Fresca (comes in a small ball usually)
¾ cup all-purpose flour for dredging stuffed peppers
1 teaspoon baking powder (not soda)
1 teaspoon salt
1-2 cups vegetable oil for frying

Instructions

Melt cheeses in small sauce pan with medium to low heat just until melted, stir to mix everything and pour into small container or even ziplock freezer bag. Allow to cool in refrigerator until solid. Slice cooled cheese in sufficient sized strips to insert into Poblano peppers, fill each pepper with two or three of the cheese strips to ensure there is ample quantity inside, don’t overdo it. Try to maintain consistent amount of filling for all peppers. Pat peppers dry with paper towel. Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl with the baking powder. In a second metal bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until the whites form stiff peaks like you are making meringue. Gently fold the beaten egg whites and salt into the yolk mixture. Place flour into a shallow bowl.
Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Roll each stuffed pepper in flour, tap off excess flour, and dip the peppers into the egg mixture to coat both sides. Gently lay the coated peppers into the hot oil. Fry peppers until lightly golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2-3 minutes per side.

Cheese Sauce Topping

Ingredients
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 cup whole milk
6oz. medium cheddar, shredded (about 1.5 cups)
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp chili powder
dash of your preferred spice for taste or just skip it.

Instructions
   1. Add the butter and flour to a small sauce pot. Heat and whisk the butter and flour together until they become bubbly and foamy (it’s a roux no shit). Continue to cook and whisk the bubbly mixture for about 60 seconds to cook it.
   2. Whisk the milk into the flour and butter mixture. Turn the heat up slightly and allow the milk to come to a simmer while whisking. When it reaches a simmer, the mixture will thicken. Once it's thick enough to coat a spoon, turn off the heat.
   3. Stir in the shredded cheddar, one handful at a time, until melted into the sauce. If needed, place the pot over a low flame to help the cheese melt. Do not over heat the cheese sauce.
   4. Once all the cheese is melted into the sauce, stir in the salt and chili powder. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. If the sauce becomes too thick, simply whisk in an additional splash of milk.
   5. Spoon sauce over Chili Rellenos and serve

Personally, that's a lot of steps. I do cut corners from time to time, I have tried this recipe and it works ok - but it's a lot of work. To save time, used roasted green chili, Fresh Hatch if you can find it, canned whole if you have to. It's out of season so you are SOL finding fresh, get what you can but if fresh it must be roasted. Just roll them in Panko breadcrumbs and bake them. Way easier, i've done it and it works. Probably healthier but hell they are not healthy to begin with so why not. And a note, Poblanos can be pretty spicy, sometimes too much. That's why I recommend Green Chile.
Good luck
View Quote

The place where I've had them roasted them in the oven I think, don't fry them, and it was still good. But if I were fixing that, I might try just grating the cheese, mixing it, pressing it together, then stuffing the peppers that way. I agree that looks like a lot of work.

But I'm glad I finally found out what that white cheese they use is called, I always mean to ask them, keep forgetting.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#4]
A proper chile relleno has a batter that is so light and perfect that it’s like a little bit of heaven. Lighter than real tempura.

It is a thing of beauty, and almost no restaurants can duplicate it.

If done right, it needs no sauce or topping (that would just make the perfect crust soggy).
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Hard to tell without knowing what you consider authentic.  Chile Rellenos in Mexico are not typically the same as the Mexican restaurants in the USA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top