Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2018 3:03:58 PM EDT
We have a 12 week old lab puppy that loves to chew anything. We do our best to keep an appropriate chew toy in his mouth, but when he decides he is bored with it, he turns to furniture, leaves, mulch, grass, our fingers/hands/feet/limbs/clothes, etc.

I read a lot of conflicting information about raw hides, nylabones, sticks. Just looking to get insight from those that went through the lab puppy chew phase?
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 3:07:58 PM EDT
[#1]
1/2 cotton rope, braid it, then braid a loop at one end, then tie a big knot on the other end and fray any left over rope.
Spray it with alil garlic butter.
And then play alittle tug of war for a couple minutes, then let him have it.

Hope depot sells the rop in 50’ sections. You have enough to make a few as they get lost or gross.

The soft ball sized kong balls are fantastic! Friend has two pits and thats all they do is chem those balls, they are indestructable.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#2]
kong toys are great

cayenne or hot sauce can be good to keep puppy from chewing on furniture.   unless your dog is cajun...then you are screwed   lol  
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I gave my Lab puppy a worn out Sperry Top Sider shoe. Within an hour he had disassembled it to where it was almost two feet long but still in one piece.
That was the only thing he ever destroyed but it took him a while. He did have a supply of “marrow bones” which he enjoyed. Never had a dog that was as
non-destructive as he was.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 4:10:32 PM EDT
[#4]
One word: KONG
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Jolly Ball. these things are great and have lasted several years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ARYV6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Rebar Cap
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I hear about a lot of problems with Nylabones.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Probably not much for puppy, but when a lil older give them deer antlers, all natural and wont splinter,

Do not give store bought ram horns or whatever they are, will splinter and could wedge in mouth or throat,
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#10]
My lab/golden mix loved this when he was younger, and still would if he hadn’t lost it.

http://starmarkacademy.com/products/treat-dispensing-pickle-pocket™/

He loved his Kong too.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably not much for puppy, but when a lil older give them deer antlers, all natural and wont splinter,

Do not give store bought ram horns or whatever they are, will splinter and could wedge in mouth or throat,
View Quote
Antlers are great but can easily fracture a tooth.  Ask me how I knowf
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Why waste more money when you already have plenty of chew toys like your sofa, cabinet doors, your favorite chair, and the carpet.

You can replace it all in about 2- 3 years.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I hear about a lot of problems with Nylabones.
View Quote
I could likely Google what you are talking about, but I am sold on them.  I have giant breeds over 200 lbs, and they are destructive when it comes to chew toys.  They chunk out the Kongs into little bits, all over the house.  Nylabones are the only thing that survive.

My lab loved the Kongs, though.  Good choice.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#14]
We have a rottweiler and a 6 month old labrador. They both love playing with two different sets of 3 connected rubber rings. One set has about 6" rings and the other is about half that diameter. They'll chew them by themselves or play tug of war with them. They've held up well to a lot of use. Wife doesn't remember where she bought them but I'm guessing you can find them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Nerf makes a yellow squeak dog ball and a blue frisbee that has held up well with our Bully.

She can tear up firehose toys in about 15 minutes.

Don’t go with rawhides, they aren’t good for dogs. Find pork ears or pork skin in the shape of bones.

Or try a bully box, I think it’s called. They send treats and toys. If the dog tears up a toy of theirs within 2 weeks, take a picture and send it to them and they’ll send a different toy.

Bella has been all about a tooth that looks to be 3D printed, or may just be injection molded to look like it was 3D printed.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't have a lab anymore, but I have had good luck with Nylabone toys. She has destroyed everything else.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#17]
A Lab puppy...hmmm?

The left shoe of the new pair of running shoes you just bought. Any purse your wife has that costs more a hundred buck, oh yeah, the left shoe of the new shoes she just bought yesterday for $160. The arm of the couch, the ottoman, books.

Labs can be very inventive.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:41:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heed this advice. Our wirehaired pointer gets to go to the doggy dentist tomorrow because she now has a complex fracture of the 4th upper premolar from a moose shed. Kong’s lasted 15-20 minutes until destroyed. Nylabones. Not much longer. Only thing was antler sheds and now those are a no no for her.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Heed this advice. Our wirehaired pointer gets to go to the doggy dentist tomorrow because she now has a complex fracture of the 4th upper premolar from a moose shed. Kong’s lasted 15-20 minutes until destroyed. Nylabones. Not much longer. Only thing was antler sheds and now those are a no no for her.
View Quote
Any luck finding a new chew toy since the ones you mentioned do not work?
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 8:49:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Peroxide and a bulb to squirt it with.

An ounce or two WILL enable you to retrieve things that fido should NOT have swallowed or items that may be too large to 'pass' out the back end normally.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Firehose toys. Real ones, not just lookalikes
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A Lab puppy...hmmm?

The left shoe of the new pair of running shoes you just bought. Any purse your wife has that costs more a hundred buck, oh yeah, the left shoe of the new shoes she just bought yesterday for $160. The arm of the couch, the ottoman, books.

Labs can be very inventive.
View Quote
Mine developed a taste for linoleum.  I got pretty good at floor repair.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top