Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2023 3:24:34 PM EDT
My 2013  Chevy Cruze for some reason will stall the engine while driving.  Sometimes it will not start back up again.  It acts like it has ran out of gas but the tank is mostly full.  Also no check engine light is on.  Is the fuel pump going bad or is something else need to be replaced?
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Idle air control valve?

Get it to a mechanic with a code reader, a real one, not the universal kind you see at your local AutoZone.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Whatever it is, sell it and buy a Toyota corolla or camry.

Link Posted: 3/13/2023 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#3]
When you say that it acts like it runs out of gas, does it chug and die or flat shut off?
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#4]
It chugs then dies.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 4:23:44 PM EDT
[#5]
This car is also one of the rare manual transmission models.   Wanted manual and didn't have much choice.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a 2013 Chevy Cruze and bucked like crazy when stopped at a light while in drive.
When I placed it in manual mode, it would stop bucking.
Took it to multiple dealerships but they all told me that it's a feature, not a bug.
It turns out that the transmission had a weird feature where there was some type of clutch that would get disengaged when stopped.
It would engage\disengage repeatedly and the car would buck like a rabbit.
So annoying.
I was about to sell it when I was t-boned by a brodozer.
None of my 10 airbags went off and I was in PT for 3 months to gain function back in my left arm.
I should have sued Chevy, but was too busy and stupid to do so.

I hated that car.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This car is also one of the rare manual transmission models.   Wanted manual and didn't have much choice.
View Quote

Manual with 3 pedals? or pretend manual?

Have you checked all vacuum lines?
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Think those have issues with the PCV valve. It is part of the valve cover. Creates a vacuum leak.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Actual manual with 3 pedals.  Also already had the PCV valve replaced.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I hadn't seen this issue on the Cruze, but I had a car that had the ground for the fuel pump and brake lights connected at the same spot.  When the brake lights came on, it screwed up the ground for the fuel pump and the car would die.  Cleaning up the ground fixed that issue.  Pretty sure it was a Saturn....another crappy GM product.

I've also see broken fuel pump modules allowing the pump to move around in the tank under turning/braking.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Idle air control valve?

Get it to a mechanic with a code reader, a real one, not the universal kind you see at your local AutoZone.
View Quote

Doesn't have an IAC. Modern cars use the electronic throttle body to control idle/cold starts.  It could be a throttle body but needs to be diagnosed.  OP needs to take it to a mechanic unless there's some kind of pattern issue with Cruzes.  I'm not sure.  I haven't worked on in 8 years or so.  I do recall working on one that had idle issues due to a bad throttle body.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Throttle Body/Throttle Position Sensor would be my guess.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#13]
what engine?
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Does it have a distributor or is it all coil packs?

I had a Sentra with a distributor that did things like that do me a couple times. Turned out the rotor in the distributor was loose and eventually came free stranding me.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:08:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Actual manual with 3 pedals.  Also already had the PCV valve replaced.
View Quote

Just the PCV ie: the camshaft cover aka valve cover? Or was the intake also replaced? To check the intake, you remove the pcv tube in the middle center and look for the red/orange nipple in the bottom of the pipe. Might be carbon covered also. If not present, replace the intake. The turbos also like to freeze up at the waste gate. check yours.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#16]
…..
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Coil pack/packs are bad.  Replace all of them.

Same thing happened to my son's 2014 Cruze.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I believe those engines like to warp heads if I recall.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 11:10:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Fuel filter?
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Whatever it is, sell it and buy a Toyota corolla or camry.

View Quote

truth

Link Posted: 3/31/2023 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I believe those engines like to warp heads if I recall.
View Quote
I was wrong.  It's burned valves.  Old ladies Cobalt needed a head job at 80K.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top