Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2020 9:59:51 PM EDT
Sometimes I'd like more customizations and tools for good data visualizations that Excel of Google Sheets offers.

Is there a program or cloud-based tool that would be good for this?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:39:55 AM EDT
[#1]
PowerBI?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:58:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PowerBI?
View Quote

Bit of a higher learning curve compared to other MS products, but it will definitely get the job done.  I pretty much live in it these days.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:35:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Powerbi looks interesting.
Wonder if it comes with my company 365 subscription.

Can I use a data source that's not a SQL database?  
Like an excel sheet?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Powerbi looks interesting.
Wonder if it comes with my company 365 subscription.

Can I use a data source that's not a SQL database?  
Like an excel sheet?
View Quote

Yep, two of our main reports are based on CSV file input. You have to tweak the query to get the import the way you want it, but it works just fine.

ETA: I think PBI is still a free download
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:33:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Just now playing around with it.

Question- If I want to do some "shading" vertically, or a plot band, on a line graph, can that be done?

Like this:

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just now playing around with it.

Question- If I want to do some "shading" vertically, or a plot band, on a line graph, can that be done?

Like this:

https://www.highcharts.com/docs/chart-concepts/labels_in_plot_bands_and_lines.png
View Quote

Without being in front of it at the moment, I can't say "go here, click that" and show you how, but the answer is almost certainly yes. The visualization customizations are very robust.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Tableau is a pretty good visualization program, bit of a learning curve to it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, Tableau is pretty good but it’s expensive and their customer support sucks biggly.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 11:27:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Pandas and Matplotlib are probably the most flexible tools to do what you want.  Bit of a learning curve.  Jupyter notebooks seem to be the most popular way to do it.

It's all free.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pandas and Matplotlib are probably the most flexible tools to do what you want.  Bit of a learning curve.  Jupyter notebooks seem to be the most popular way to do it.

It's all free.
View Quote

Woo- thats somewhat more complex than I anticipated, but I think Python is sort of the next logical step for me.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 7:56:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Woo- thats somewhat more complex than I anticipated, but I think Python is sort of the next logical step for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's all free.

It’s easier than it looks - python has sort of become the non-programmer’s way to do computer stuff over the last few years. There’s a ton of material out there on visualization with Matplotlib and data manipulation with Pandas.

Link Posted: 6/21/2020 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I would look at R (statistical analysis programming language that can crunch numbers or generate charts/graphs, etc) and either use it stand-alone or tie it in with any number of other programming languages (PHP, Perl, Python, Java, C/C++, etc).  IIRC one of hte MS SQL versions even comes with R installed and ready to interact with it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I use DPlot for some of my work.  It overlaps with Excel but then goes MUCH farther.  It can be run as a stand-alone software package and can be used as an Excel Add-In.

DPlot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top