Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2020 8:26:54 PM EDT
We live in a small town of 600 people. we attend the only church in town - a small Southern Baptist congregation.  There are about 15 to 20 regulars.  My family of four is the youngest and only family in our age group.

I love the pastor and his wife.  He's super cool, albeit a bit dry, but puts out a good message.

Problem is, we get tired of the congregation.  No real praise or thanks.  No celebration of the life of Jesus.  No happiness or excitement.  Prayers are constantly for people wanting God to do everything but aren't willing to step up to the plate themselves.

Everyone but the pastor and his wife are just a drag.  One lady has her grand kids that treat my children like crap.  The girls from that family and my daughter are the only teenager.

Last night, I went to a men's dinner at about 60 miles away that is sponsored by a church which is also in the same convention as us.

They had a guest speaker that was also going to be guest speaking at their services this morning.  I wanted to hear him again.

So we got up early and went.

WOW!

My kids loved it.  My wife loved it.  I actually enjoyed it. We were in church for 3 and a half hours and it felt shorter than the normal two hours we do here.

My girls felt welcome.  My wife and I met people our age.

Problem is we are stuck in this dilemma of a feeling that we would be abandoning our church if we moved to a new one.  Abandoning a church that already is very low in numbers anyway.

Not sure what we are going g to do at the moment, but we could use some prayer in the matter.

Thank you

Marcial and Jessica and the girls.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#2]
You should go where you grow.

Thats not being malicious or anything, people sometimes need to find a new church. Sounds like its your time.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#3]
In any group, club, congregation, etc...  There will always be a difference in the level of commitment each member puts forth.  Some are moved to have a larger share than others.  It was that way among Christ's Disciples.

Also, a couple questions I'd ask would be...  When comparing the two preachers, their style, and their ability to motivate...  Are you following a   man, or God and the Christian congregation?   How would your congregation fare if you left?  Would the faith of fellow congregants be affected?  Could you have a kind conversation with your current pastor, and express your thoughts - or what you think the congregation would benefit from?

I'd encourage you pray on the matter.  I wish you the best.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 9:46:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Why do you think you have a duty to attend that specific church? You should be happy to go otherwise it becomes a chore and you stop going entirely.

ETA: Poster above me said it pretty well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Edited ~ medicmandan
View Quote
This is the Religion forum not GD
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why do you think you have a duty to attend that specific church? You should be happy to go otherwise it becomes a chore and you stop going entirely.

ETA: Poster above me said it pretty well.
View Quote
Many years attending.

One of the few families in town who currently attend the church.   The only church in town.

60 miles to the church we went to today.  3 blocks to our current church.

Lots of new faces, meeting new people and getting into a new routine.

My kids have only attended our current church and the church my in laws attend.

My wife helps with Vacation bible school and has for several years.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 12:41:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Get back with me when your wife's 15 year cancer battles are negating the end, you've been diagnosed with Parkinson's in your early 50's and considered 'unemployable', and 3 weeks prior to her surgery you find out your heart echo came back with a bad valve.

Or go to your local VA and observe the patient demographics. Possible visit a nic unit for babies born to drug addicts. I can go on.

You are living a blessed life if your worry of the week is church politics.
Somebody up your food chain, father, mother, pastor, god needs to straighten out your perception of 'challenging'.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 12:49:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thats not being malicious or anything, people sometimes need to find a new church. Sounds like its your time.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 1:43:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Get back with me when your wife's 15 year cancer battles are negating the end, you've been diagnosed with Parkinson's in your early 50's and considered 'unemployable', and 3 weeks prior to her surgery you find out your heart echo came back with a bad valve.

Or go to your local VA and observe the patient demographics. Possible visit a nic unit for babies born to drug addicts. I can go on.

You are living a blessed life if your worry of the week is church politics.
Somebody up your food chain, father, mother, pastor, god needs to straighten out your perception of 'challenging'.
View Quote
Every one has challenges.   I know mine at the moment is not major in comparison to other people.   But what is important to me is getting back to church where I can grow spiritually for eternal life, and the struggle is real.

I am a two time kidney transplant recipient,  so my family is well aware of medical problems and trials in that regard.

I am also a deputy coroner at the sheriff's office.  I see the end result of physical death first hand on a regular basis.

Eternal life is another matter.

I need it,my wife needs it and my kids need it.

We have also been talking to other people about it.

I asked for help and prayer in my situation,  not to be put down and belittled because.my situation is not as major as someone else's.

I am done with arfcom.  It has been sliding for some time.

This is the nail in the coffin so to speak.

Thanks for nothing everyone.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Churches die and grow for reasons. Some good, some very bad.

Examine the churches, their doctrine and their congregations and pray about it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#12]
There are two understandings of “The Church”.
One is the Universal world wide group that calls itself Christian with Jesus at the head.
The other....and this is important is described in Eph:2:19-20. The Household of God.
The concept of household is like the one you and your family share. This is the local body of Believers where you have a sense of belonging, where you are intimate, and devoted to one another. You share chores and do what is necessary to perform the functions and work that keep you safe, growing, as well as the struggles that all families have.
If you don’t have that sense of “belonging”  there or if you are members based on traditions or duty you should probably be asking the Holy Spirit for some guidance and confirmation about a new place.
On the other hand maybe just getting a fresh new perspective from time to time from other congregations and bringing it back “home” could do everyone some good. You’ve been there long enough now that you ARE leadership. Lead. My experience of a “local” church being an hour away is that you won’t be able to be involved in their lives daily so they are NOT of your “household”.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Every one has challenges.   I know mine at the moment is not major in comparison to other people.   But what is important to me is getting back to church where I can grow spiritually for eternal life, and the struggle is real.

I am a two time kidney transplant recipient,  so my family is well aware of medical problems and trials in that regard.

I am also a deputy coroner at the sheriff's office.  I see the end result of physical death first hand on a regular basis.

I asked for help and prayer in my situation,  not to be put down and belittled because.my situation is not as major as someone else's.

View Quote
I agree brother, this website has an inordinate number of haters (ie: lost people), and we are told that we will be hated by the world. So be of good cheer.

Stick around and be a shepherd.

As for your church situation, the Holy Spirit will guide you. Rest..
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I agree brother, this website has an inordinate number of haters (ie: lost people), and we are told that we will be hated by the world. So be of good cheer.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  OP, I'm sure you guys are praying about this.  While you are going through this, is there any reason not
to go to both for a few weeks?  Alternate, go to your church 1 week, visit the other the next week. Give
yourselves a few weeks, & see if you feel led to stay with 1.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:46:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Prayers are constantly for people wanting God to do everything but aren't willing to step up to the plate themselves.
View Quote
Step up to the plate and start something.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:54:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 11:44:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I’m not going to tell you what to do, but from experience it’s tough to go to a church a significant distance away.

A 1 hour commute means that you’ll probably only be there for Sunday mornings, and won’t be able to get plugged in to the life of the church, regulating you to more of a spectator.

That’s really not conducive to spiritual growth.

It’s a tough dilemma with neither staying or going being ideal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top