BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2022 11:27:56 AM EDT
Damn.

One on board.  Minor injuries.

Cessna 120 caught in helicopter wake turbulence

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/273729

Narrative:
The pilot of the tail wheeled-equipped airplane reported that, he was on an approach to land at an uncontrolled airport behind two helicopters. An airport surveillance video showed the accident airplane flying over the runway about 20 seconds after a helicopter was in a slow hover taxi adjacent to the runway. The pilot reported that he saw the helicopter and decided to land long to maintain separation. He added that while on short final, he saw a helicopter 'cross' the runway, so he increased engine power to full and attempted a go-around. About one-third of the way down the length of the runway, the airplane encountered the helicopter's downwash, and the airplane entered an uncommanded steep right bank. The pilot applied opposite aileron, but he was not able to maintain control of the airplane. Subsequently, the airplane impacted right of the runway and sustained substantial damage to the right wing and fuselage. The pilot reported that there were no preaccident mechanical malfunctions or failures with the airplane that would have precluded normal operation.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Shit.....pilot ok?
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shit.....pilot ok?
View Quote

Not fatal.  Still looking.

ETA: Minor injuries

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2022/01/cessna-120-n76646-accident-occurred.html
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 11:43:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Shit.....pilot ok?
View Quote

New pants necessary.

Was a very unassuming crash all things considered.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

New pants necessary.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shit.....pilot ok?

New pants necessary.

No fire, right side up, max style points for the slide.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No fire, right side up, max style points for the slide.
View Quote

I hope the pilot yelled "LEEEROOOY JENKIIIIINNNNNSSSS!" as they came in.

Seriously though, I hope they're going to be ok.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought they had a 3 minute window for take off and landing because of this
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#7]
That looked painful.    Amazing how often people walk away from accidents that should have killed them,

and vice versa.  

Fate is the hunter.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is no wake turbulence separation at uncontrolled airports.  

At controlled airports, I doubt there are any official rules regarding Helo wake turbulence.   Maybe a controller will chime in.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

At controlled airports, I doubt there are any official rules regarding Helo wake turbulence.   Maybe a controller will chime in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to the report, he recognized the hazard and was going around.  He just underestimated.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn, now I feel better about my caution all those years ago in flight training.

While I was doing some solo practice in a 152 before I had many hours, the imbeciles from Med flight were practicing their hovering at our local uncontrolled airport, about 20' off the ground, maybe 50' from the runway. When I saw them there, I made the decision to do a quick go around.

The FBO owner got on the radio to ask what the hell that was. My instructor was in the pattern with another student and saw it. He filled in the FBO owner, who was an FAA official. Apparently he made a very angry phone call. Med flight never came back.

I always wondered if I was being overly cautious, now I see that I was totally right to be concerned!

Damn that would sure suck to have happen.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#11]
About 20 years ago, a student in a Warrior crossed behind an S-76 at PDK while landing. It probably looked a lot like this.

If I remember correctly, it was the students third or fourth solo flight. He did not survive.

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

According to the report, he recognized the hazard and was going around.  He just underestimated.
View Quote
An untrained observer would say that was too much bank without enough air speed.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

An untrained observer would say that was too much bank without enough air speed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, it was too much pitch without enough altitude.  

ETA:That was after the attempted go-around, not part of it.  The air smited him.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn, really surprised he survived that.

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

ETA:That was after the attempted go-around, not part of it.  The air smited him.
View Quote
Ground effect, helo effecting.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Horizontal tornadoes.

Aerial Helicopter Vortex Stock Footage, Luftaufnahme von Helikopter mit Luftwirbel, 4K, 6K, Vortexes
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 11:54:10 AM EDT
[#17]
About 20 yrs ago, I was riding backseat during a buddy's X/C training flight into the KC area (IXD, New Century). As we were landing in our might C-172, tower informed us of a Chinook off to the side of the runway. Thankfully, I don't think they were in the air, or if they were they were far enough away, but we hit their wash and thought we were gonna eat it, much like in this video. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride for sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top