Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2019 1:58:17 PM EDT
What is the radiation output under a cell tower compared to background radiation?
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What is the radiation output under a cell tower compared to background radiation?
View Quote
I'm no expert, but it would all depend on what gear is being used, what freq and power level.

I've seen some devices where they climb right past them and some where they want the signal output shut off before a climber starts to climb the tower.

I think the big point to point radios are the worst as compared to a multi-point sector or omni.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote
What do you mean by "radiation output"?

And what do you mean by "background radiation"?

RF?

Ionizing radiation?

Something else?
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:08:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

RF?

Ionizing radiation?

Something else?
View Quote
Novice question. I didn't even sleep at a holiday inn. A typical urban area cell tower. Would you want to work in the office right at the bottom of the tower everyday for years...?
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:09:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Novice question. I didn't even sleep at a holiday inn. A typical urban area cell tower. Would you want to work in the office right at the bottom of the tower everyday for years...?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RF?

Ionizing radiation?

Something else?
I'd love to.

Great signal that way!
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 1:43:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
there are so many hidden EVERYWHERE you probably already do. and yes I worry about RF pollution.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd love to.

Great signal that way!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

RF?

Ionizing radiation?

Something else?
I'd love to.

Great signal that way!
For the most part you would actually be in antenna nulls.

It may still be strong enough at that short distance for decent communication though.

They are optimized for a horizontal radiation pattern.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It may still be strong enough at that short distance for decent communication though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

RF?

Ionizing radiation?

Something else?
I'd love to.

Great signal that way!

I think for the sake of this conversation, OP is asking about you being in the path of the bulk of the radiation.

So we'll use out imaginations.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think for the sake of this conversation, OP is asking about you being in the path of the bulk of the radiation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

RF?

Ionizing radiation?

Something else?
I'd love to.

Great signal that way!

That is not how the antenna pattern is set up.

It is optimized for distance.
And at the higher frequencies (shorter wavelengths (3e8 / f = wavelength length in meters)) you are likely be far field conditions (>10 wavelengths) anywhere on the ground.

And coupled energy is a strong function of wavelength, your apparent impedance, and you physical size.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And at the higher frequencies (shorter wavelengths (3e8 / f = wavelength length in meters)) you are likely be far field conditions (<10 wavelengths) anywhere on the ground.

And coupled energy is a strong function of wavelength, your apparent impedance, and you physical size.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

RF?

Ionizing radiation?

Something else?
I'd love to.

Great signal that way!

And at the higher frequencies (shorter wavelengths (3e8 / f = wavelength length in meters)) you are likely be far field conditions (<10 wavelengths) anywhere on the ground.

Link Posted: 4/26/2019 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm no expert, but it would all depend on what gear is being used, what freq and power level.

I've seen some devices where they climb right past them and some where they want the signal output shut off before a climber starts to climb the tower.

I think the big point to point radios are the worst as compared to a multi-point sector or omni.
View Quote
Its gear dependent like smullen has said. How many sectors and frequency and power and channel width etc all play into it. But power density drops rapidly as your distance increases. I'm not worried about cell towers.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I get that.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I understood OP's question as "would you be willing to sit in front of a cell phone tower output all day"... not literally at the base of the antenna.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I get that.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I understood OP's question as "would you be willing to sit in front of a cell phone tower output all day"... not literally at the base of the antenna.
View Quote
Oh. yeah fuck that. You would not bode well.

Even with amateur radio equipment you need to consider how much RF exposure your taking in.  Sitting in front of a high wattage output from a commercial, directional antenna will certainly push you over the safe exposure range. Just touching the antenna will probably give you RF burn. Maybe even just sitting in front of it.

http://www.arrl.org/rf-exposure

Interesting info from a cell tower worker/climber
https://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2308-5-terrifying-realities-my-job-as-cell-tower-climber.html
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#15]
There are real reasons that many ships have all sorts of RF hazard markings on various decks.

I have been near a restricted area and you could feel your skin crawl.

Spread your arms and it was noticeably worse.

We had RF monitors and alarms in a number of our labs.

We had an attenuator fail once on a many thousand watt radar being characterized.

Captured equipment.

After that we set up a system that would kill prime power when the alarms went off.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:27:38 AM EDT
[#16]
FCC has specific guidelines for RF exposure.
You probably are exposed to higher power from your own cell phone than any emission from a cell phone tower.
Cell phone towers are high and have a very narrow signal that is not directed at the ground under the tower.
RF radiation is not ionizing and only heats up tissue but does no other damage.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 11:37:39 PM EDT
[#17]
From my quick search which may be incorrect, a cell tower outputs 100w for city towers and up to 500w rural. With electromagnetic radiation following the inverse square law, you probably are getting way more EM exposure from the cell phone in your pocket or the computer at your desk than the cell tower.

And as was stated the antennas aren't optimized for vertical transmission so even less. It wouldn't surprise me if standing under the tower and you have a signal it is bounced off a natural reflector or even more likely on a totally different tower.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
From my quick search which may be incorrect, a cell tower outputs 100w for city towers and up to 500w rural. With electromagnetic radiation following the inverse square law, you probably are getting way more EM exposure from the cell phone in your pocket or the computer at your desk than the cell tower.

And as was stated the antennas aren't optimized for vertical transmission so even less. It wouldn't surprise me if standing under the tower and you have a signal it is bounced off a natural reflector or even more likely on a totally different tower.
View Quote

The distance is small directly under the tower,
and may well be in near field conditions depending on actual wavelength.

We had a comms system on a U-2.
At a nominal 60,000 ft from the top of the fuselage the signal
strength of a blade (AT256A, IIRC)
antenna in UHF (225 MHz to 500 Mhz) was more than adequate
for 1E-6 BER directly under the plane using 4-ary  digital FSK
modulation at 32kBaud/s in 25 kHz BW.

The problem is that indirect (reflected) paths also existed from
signal reflection off the large 'super pods) used to contain the SIGINT system.

We provided real time system SIGINT EW results to ground terminals directly
under the plane.

The modelling was an absolute nightmare.

Link Posted: 12/27/2020 6:35:08 PM EDT
[#19]
holy necro post. how is this not archived?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:03:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol, it's brickeye... a bored, retired guy that likes to passively brag about his past any way he can!
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:27:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Apparently forums maintain a minimum thread count. If the minimum is set at 100 the most recent 100 threads will continue to live until they are pushed into the archive by newer threads.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Lol, it's brickeye... a bored, retired guy that likes to passively brag about his past any way he can!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would suggest you pound sand.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Considering the size of the antenna array compared to the frequencies used, an ERP of 100 watts can be achieved with less than  5 watts of power to the feedpoint. The point is that the antenna gain is very great to pull in 0.6 watt handset transmitters better known as cell phones.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Considering the size of the antenna array compared to the frequencies used, an ERP of 100 watts can be achieved with less than  5 watts of power to the feedpoint. The point is that the antenna gain is very great to pull in 0.6 watt handset transmitters better known as cell phones.
View Quote

You probably mean EIRP.
Equivalent Isotropic Radiated Power.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#25]
The question is not asked correctly.
But, signal to noise ratio under a tower is high.
Power density is rated power in a shape field, like omni donut vs yagi vs corner reflected vs others, etc.
Exceeding power density limits is ez to do even when your max rated output power is less than a max allowed #.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#26]
That close to the antenna is likely not in far field conditions.

Far field is generally not established until you are more than
10 wavelengths from the antenna.

And depending on the directivity and shaping of the beam it
can be closer to 20 to 30 wavelengths.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#27]
EIRP or ERP whatever. Since the tower owners don't have a crew sweeping piles of dead birds from the tower bases, you will be alright from the radiation.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:39:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You probably are exposed to higher power from your own cell phone than any emission from a cell phone tower.
Cell phone towers are high and have a very narrow signal that is not directed at the ground under the tower.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Strong enough fields at the right frequency can interfere with nerve function, or produce felt things that are not real.

The feeling of intense heat is one of these 'tricks.'
It is NOT from actual heating, but by interfering with sensory nerves.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#30]
femtowatts and picowatts. You can dl a cellular signal measurement app on your phone. The output from your phone on the desk is orders of magnitude higher.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 5:57:52 AM EDT
[#31]
So the radiation radiates out from the top of the tower not down.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#32]
What does that mean?
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 3:27:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So the radiation radiates out from the top of the tower not down.
View Quote

It is 'aimed' sideways from the elements at the top of the tower.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top