Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2020 1:00:58 AM EDT
Good morning all, a little side knowledge regarding my question. I have a great state retirement I'm currently working in, along with deferred comp and I'm adding physical gold and silver when I can. I also have a 403B from my last job which climbed to 25k, well within the last 2 months its lost 7k. I feel like with the way the market is going, and the outlook of this virus lasting through the summer that I'll lose everything in my 403B. I'm no financial expert, but I have a conference call with him Tuesday regarding this.
Would it be a good decision to cash out now and save some face? With what's left after taxes I could pay off all my bills minus a car payment and monthly rent. Long term I believe that could help me put far more into a savings account.

Thanks for your guys help in advance... losing sleep over this decision lately.

Side note- Being in NYS retirement and deferred comp I'm not allowed to contribute to the 403B so it just sits there gaining or losing.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:08:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes. Besides being an unpredictable time, your 403b is probably loaded with fees.

He will probably tell you that you haven't lost anything.  It is all on paper.  By selling you will lose money.  It is BS.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:16:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes. Besides being an unpredictable time, your 403b is probably loaded with fees.

He will probably tell you that you haven't lost anything.  It is all on paper.  By selling you will lose money.  It is BS.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure you're right. At the time I started it it was booming. But I'm sureTIAA has some extra fees if you cash it out before a certain age. Just gotta find out how much that'll be. Regardless I think I'll be better off in the long run.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 4:34:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 1:10:58 AM EDT
[#4]
The only way your 403b will go to zero is if every company you invest in goes bankrupt.  If you have that in an S&P 500, that's not going to happen.  The S&P 500 was at 1535 on July 20, 2007.  It was at 770 on Feb 20, 2009.  That's a 50% loss.  If you left your money in and let it ride you'd be at 1550 on March 8, 2013.  That's 4 years.  It was more than double that a little less than 7 years later.  

If you take the money out now, you'll be taking that 7K loss plus you'll owe taxes on what you take out.  I think that's a bad idea.  I just gave you real world numbers based on what happened in the 07-08 recession and showed you were back to baseline in 4 years.  This recession was going to happen anyway.  We had the longest expansion ever and it was invariably going to come to an end.  The virus just sparked that powder keg.  Now is not the time to sell.  It may be the time to buy, but I'd be tempted to watch closely and see what happens between now and August.  If the government screws up and tries to restart everything too soon, we'll see our cases spike back up and things will be much worse than if we just stay the course however difficult it may be and get through the virus and then rebuild the economy.  If you think this is bad, imagine what happens to the economy if things start looking up in 3 weeks and we open everything up and are back to where we are now a month after that.  Then people will really panic and we'll have a huge problem.  Deal with the virus first and then deal with the economy.  You can't fix the economy when people are dying from the virus.

Those who point out that a 33% drop now needs a 50% gain to recover.  That's correct.  But to say that it will take forever may not be correct.  In my real world example, in 4 years the S&P doubled, earning back what it lost.  If you sell now, you're timing the market in exactly the wrong way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top