Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2019 7:09:13 PM EDT
Career considerations as a future surgeon...

What can you tell me about SOSTs and other medical surgeons that deploy with special ops teams to their AO? their military training, what tactical gear they're issued, the risk they expose themselves to, etc.

Would you recommend I become proficient in martial arts, tactical shooting, precision shooting, tactical driving, urban/outdoor survival, and land navigation in advance?

Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 7:31:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 18B30] [#2]
Must be a MD/DO.  High level of physical fitness, competencies in clinical skills must be above average.

These cats are not trigger pullers and don’t do door kicking or shooting gigs, though they do attend some very HSLD training evolutions.

Feel free to PM for additional Q/A.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By WeenieNinja:
Would you recommend I become proficient in martial arts, tactical shooting, precision shooting, tactical driving, urban/outdoor survival, and land navigation in advance?

Thank you!
View Quote
um

Don't you think you should probably concentrate on being proficient (or, honestly, better) at the MCAT?
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 12:23:55 AM EDT
[#4]
For working in a hospital, and especially considering I can't currently afford the $1000s it costs for "well rounded" survival and tactical education? Absolutely
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 12:55:58 AM EDT
[#5]
In on one. Thread has potential.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 3:39:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HELOBRAVO:
In on one. Thread has potential.
View Quote
I dropped my popcorn..brb
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:
competencies in clinical skills must be above average.
View Quote
LOL
That's the problem.
Not nearly enough work for military surgeons to stay competent, let alone 'above average'.
Which is why most of the AD surgeons are desperate to moonlight to keep up their skills and are counting the days till they can get out.

Back to the OP
ASSUMING you are legit (and very naive), I'll answer.
What you want to do doesn't really exist outside the recruiter's office and your imagination.
True, there are brief glimpses of what you want, but certainly not a career of door kicking, ninja surgery.

Want to know more about the realities of military medicine?
Go here and ask.
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/military-medicine.72/
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top