Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2021 10:59:23 AM EDT
SIL is in San Diego and found a 2019 MINI Countryman. She is buying and they are delivering to my house. Questions below:

1) is Shift.com a reputable company? They will deliver and want to see my DL and insurance. I have limited power of attorney and full indemnification and release of liability. Basically, I'm a storage lot for my SIL car until she makes it up here.

2) 2019 MINI Countryman. She wants me to look it over. I'm a weekend wrencher, no internal work. Any things in particular I should look for on this car? FWIW I have not heard good things but hey, she has $$$ and it's not my problem.

Appreciate the input.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#1]
She wants you to look it over after she buys it? While that’s not a bad idea, she sure as heck ought to have it inspected before buying it. I have bought multiple cars long distance, but just hoping it is in good shape because pictures look fine is really foolish and naive.  Better to have a local mechanic familiar with Mini examine it. Money well spent. She should also be getting maintenance history on the car, especially a Mini.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I bailed on them today. They want me to look the car over after it is dropped off, signed for, and in my driveway. I said, nope... I don't want that responsibility. I could see questions being raised and what not. Especially if I missed something.

They are switching to her SIL up in the same area. This is the gal who called me and said "I put three quarts of oil in my car because the light came on... I can't see it at the top of the filler"

And, MINI Coopers can be POS cars from what I have read. $880 annual average maintenance costs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top