Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2020 2:16:30 PM EDT
I inherited a 3 acre lot a few years ago and am going to sell it. I really had no intention to sell it, but was approached with an offer I couldn’t refuse. It was initially 3 small lots  and I had it surveyed and the lots combined into one. I also had a dilapidated  building demolished on the property.
Am I wrong in thinking I can knock these improvements off my capital gain? I know I could reinvest in property  and not take a hit, but I’m looking to invest the funds and use dividends as an income stream.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd certainly figure all of those expenses into my cost basis.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 3:30:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends.  Talk to a CPA to see what your cost basis is.  Could be well worth it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd certainly figure all of those expenses into my cost basis.
View Quote

Along with any taxes/insurance which were not previously deducted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top