Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2018 7:19:54 PM EDT
That time of the year. What does ARF think or do about these.....I have a regular mutual fund that just “paid”$12k. That’s gonna hurt.

For taxable funds, anyone do anything to avoid the tax man, legally? I have no losses this year to offset.

No thanks interested in Roth or emergency fund inputs, already handled. Just this specific question please.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
That time of the year. What does ARF think or do about these.....I have a regular mutual fund that just “paid”$12k. That’s gonna hurt.

For taxable funds, anyone do anything to avoid the tax man, legally? I have no losses this year to offset.

No thanks interested in Roth or emergency fund inputs, already handled. Just this specific question please.

Thanks.
View Quote

Why not reopen the same position now so the gains aren't realized during this year?
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have any losses, that would require repositioning/rebalancing, sell those to offset gains.

Alternatively, switch to ETF's which are more tax friendly than mutual funds as they do not distribute net capital gains to shareholders the way funds do.... but this likely doesn't help you much because selling the fund would be a net capital gain on any gains in the fund (assuming there are).... if this is a major concern, you'd have to start taking that hit.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#3]
double-tap
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View Quote
Well, gains are good, capital gains tax is bad...i think we all agree there.  The thing that is brutal about non-qualified mutual funds is that they are constantly buying and selling so you can get the "gains" without seeing the cash and then you are selling to cover them.  The best thing to do is to look at your taxable investments to find anything that is in the red from when you bought it.  If you have any short term losses, sell that immediately.  If you happen to have long term losses, those can go next.  That helps to reduce your net gain on paper.  If you don't have other non-qualified investments or if you don't have any in the red (good for you).

Are you dropping any money into a retirement account i.e. 401(k) or traditional IRA?  I know you said no ROTH, but that wouldn't help you anyway.

Any chance you own a business?
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why not reopen the same position now so the gains aren't realized during this year?
View Quote
Because you don't have to sell to have gains in a mutual fund.  When they sell internally the gains are created. He probably didn't sell anything.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well, gains are good, capital gains tax is bad...i think we all agree there.  The thing that is brutal about non-qualified mutual funds is that they are constantly buying and selling so you can get the "gains" without seeing the cash and then you are selling to cover them.  The best thing to do is to look at your taxable investments to find anything that is in the red from when you bought it.  If you have any short term losses, sell that immediately.  If you happen to have long term losses, those can go next.  That helps to reduce your net gain on paper.  If you don't have other non-qualified investments or if you don't have any in the red (good for you).

Are you dropping any money into a retirement account i.e. 401(k) or traditional IRA?  I know you said no ROTH, but that wouldn't help you anyway.

View Quote
No I don’t own a business. I wish.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 10:31:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Because you don't have to sell to have gains in a mutual fund.  When they sell internally the gains are created. He probably didn't sell anything.
View Quote
Correct. I haven’t touched it other than monthly deposits for years.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Generally speaking, I think you are either offsetting with losses, putting money in qualified accounts or buying something that has tax benefits i.e. business assets...or paying the tax.

Someone mentioned ditching the mutual fund for ETF's.  Particularly for large cap exposures, this is a no brainer.  Most LC funds don't outperform the index by enough to justify their fee and you won'thave this problem.  Small caps and international make sense in funds.  Don't buy bond funds in a rising interest rate environment
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top