Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:15:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:38:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nikon for me.

But, have you ever thought of mirrorless?  I hear Sony has a really nice one.
View Quote
They are SotA of cameras, I know quite a few people with Sony mirrorless cams, but there are limited number of lenses and accessories, and lenses are exensive. I will stick with DSLRs for the moment, unless there is a special need.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:54:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Buy an excellent condition used Canon 60D, 70D, or 80D or a Nikon 7100 or 7200 from B&H Photo and grab a couple of good utility lenses, like a 50mm prime and a 28-105mm zoom.

I bought an excellent condition used Canon 60D around Thanksgiving time last year. Picked up a 50mm prime, a 28-105mm zoom and then added a 70-300mm zoom in March. The camera body itself only cost me about $275, so I had money left for some decent lenses that are better than what you get with a standard new kit.
View Quote
Excellent advice.

Very few ever follow it.

I would ad that on a crop sensor body a 24mm prime will be more useful than the 50 for new users.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:05:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Skip both... Sony mirrorless
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:15:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I have no technical knowledge in this department but...

My wife is a photographer. She used to work for a school portrait company and they used Nikon. She had a entry level Canon DSLR for personal use. When she started her own buisness she bought a Canon 6D. She just bought another 6D as a backup camera.

You might want to look into the 6D, they just came out with the 6D mk2 and the price dropped on the original. It was a ~$1500 camera and now you can get it for ~$1000. The 2nd one she just bought was a certified refurb from Canon for $800. Looked new to me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:19:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I use an Olympus OM-D EM-5MkII, and it's fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:25:50 AM EDT
[#7]
If you are spending $700 I would look at a Nikon D7200. It is a much better camera. I don't know anything about Canon they feel like cheap toys to me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 5:44:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I got a refurbished Nikon D3400 for $500 with multiple lenses and accessories.  Its worked great for me for the limited use I've put in on it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:30:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's not exactly true.
EF mounts work across the board without adapters on EOS cameras.
They also work well with an adapter on EOS/M mount mirrorless.
EF/S mounts will not work on EOS full frame cameras, only the smaller sensor (like the Nikons) Canons.

If you have not examined in detail an image from a full frame sensor Canon, you've missed an experience!

Actually with an appropriate adapter, you can use any lens Canon ever made also, as well as many other brands.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nikon.  You can use any lens Nikon ever made.

Canon has so many different mounts that lenses are not interchangeable.

Nikon also has a much better Sony sensor compared to base line Canons
That's not exactly true.
EF/S mounts will not work on EOS full frame cameras, only the smaller sensor (like the Nikons) Canons.

If you have not examined in detail an image from a full frame sensor Canon, you've missed an experience!

Actually with an appropriate adapter, you can use any lens Canon ever made also, as well as many other brands.
True for full frame Nikons as well...
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:32:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do you care enough to make rifle scopes?

I don't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don’t even care enough to make rifle scopes?

(Guess I’m just saying that Nikon has a huge following completely unrelated to guns, so big deal if they pulled out of the NRA convention)
Do you care enough to make rifle scopes?

I don't.
Nor do I, actually.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:35:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thinking of getting into photography. Seems nikons the way to go, as a poster above said nikon has better lens compatability.

What do you guys think of the D80 for a beginner? Found one local on craigslist with a 18-135mm lens in great shape for $200. Would want to get a bigger telephoto for it later.
View Quote
Very good camera, logical if early menus. Has a crop factor. Find out how many clicks are on the shutter.

downside is it is an old camera; i have one. You're mostly buying the lens in this case so I hope it's one of the VR lenses.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:42:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Nikon if you were going to pick from those two....

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-Rebel-SL2-vs-Nikon-D5600

But I would rather save or buy a used Full Frame camera.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:49:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you have any familiarity with one over the other?

If yes, go with that.

If no, flip a coin and learn that system.

They’re both quality and will serve you well.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:11:35 AM EDT
[#14]
There was news recently about Nikon :

Nikon - NRA convention
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:12:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Canon's telephoto lenses are better than Nikon's so if critters and birds are your primary focus get Canon. Otherwise I'd ge a Nikon, and I'm a Canon owner.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:34:44 AM EDT
[#16]
If this is “I’m gonna get into photography”, then realize that gear is heavy and cumbersome, photography isn’t easy, so you go back to your phone camera thread......then it doesn’t make a difference what prosumer camera you get.

If you’re really going to take the time to learn photography, the you need to decide what glass you’re going invest into long term.

Nikon has caught up to and surpassed Canon, in the last few year, in the professional camera body market. Both have great offerings in advance prosumer markets.

Canon glass is usually less expensive and has a larger reasonably priced used market.

The new mirrorless offerings are great if you don’t plan on shooting action sports or telephoto nature as your primary subjects.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm a Canon guy.  I teach film and have 10 Canon setups (and another 10 setups of other cameras).

Of those two options you are better off with the Nikon.  SL2 is not the best option at that price point IMO.
View Quote
@flyhack72

Where do you teach at?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:53:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nikon.  You can use any lens Nikon ever made.

Canon has so many different mounts that lenses are not interchangeable.

Nikon also has a much better Sony sensor compared to base line Canons
That's not exactly true.

Nikon was a bit slow to add a full frame sensor so I missed out on that.
Nikon has an excellent selection of side angle lenses to work with, an area that Canon has been weak in. On the other hand, Canon L series telephotos are something to reckon with - all those big white lenses you used to see at sporting events were Canon - until Sony started producing white lenses too.

Bottom line on this is consider the camera body as your "film" & the lens as something you will use with this film & the next film & the n...
Lens mount adapters offer an opportunity to swap things around, so in many instances a peculiar or singular lens can be adapted to get the view you wish.

My wish list:
EF 50mm f1.0 series L

ETA a warning on older Canon full frame cameras: EOS 5D 1st generation has issues with dust getting into the sensor, requiring meticulous cleaning & careful lens change habits. Even then it tends deliver persistent dust spots. Blowing it out with canned air makes the problem worse. So while it may seem a bargain, go with gen 2 or above.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Outstanding advice, guys. I really do appreciate it. It sounds like it’s hard to go wrong with either company.

I now have even more to consider
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:06:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I’m finally going to buy a decent camera, and I need a little help. I don’t plan on becoming Johnny Photog, but I would like to have something a little better than what my iPhone 8 Plus can offer.

So, I’ve narrowed it down to the Canon SL2 and the Nikon D5600. Both are right around $700, and seem to have similar feature sets. What does the hive like?

ETA: Fucked the poll up. Use “other” to vote for the Canon SL2.
View Quote
Is $700 your budget for the body or for everything? For a little bit more, you can get a better camera body if you’re interested in a refurb. At least from Nikon, I don’t know Canon stuff.

I can try to find a deal when I get home tonight/tomorrow if you’re interested.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Back in the 1970's when I was interested in photography I researched the Canons, Leicas, and Nikons and concluded that Nikon made the best 35mm SLR cameras and saved up my minimum wage money and bought a Nikon F3. If I was getting another camera now, it would be a Nikon DSLR camera.

This site has a lot of good information.

Link to DP Review
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:14:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Get a SONY.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's not exactly true.

View Quote
Warning:  the good adapters are not exactly inexpensive
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Is $700 your budget for the body or for everything? For a little bit more, you can get a better camera body if you're interested in a refurb. At least from Nikon, I don't know Canon stuff.

I can try to find a deal when I get home tonight/tomorrow if you're interested.
View Quote
Refurbed 7200 bodies are $729 @ Cameta
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm a Nikon guy (D80 to start, now up to a D750)  Have all the lenses.  The decision you are making is not on a brand/body, its on a lens system.  This is where all your money will be spent.  For example, I can upgrade to lets say the D850 for just over $3k and all my lenses will work perfect.  If I wanted to switch to Canon, I'd be selling everything and starting all over again.

Here is the big one though, with whats going on with Mirrorless right now I dont know if I would commit to a Canon or Nikon lens system right now.  It seems they will be going mirrorless too, and even though its most likely there new systems will use the old lenses, lenses designed for mirrorless systems are usually smaller.  As a result you may want to consider the Sony system at this point in time (A6000, A6300 or A6500) with maybe one to two lenses, just to buy some time to see where Nikon/Canon are going.

Plenty of info here:

http://www.bythom.com/
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
New d7200’s are on sale for $797 currently.  I great deal I think.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#28]
The Nikon 7xxx cameras will give you the greatest range of lens compatibility.  I think the 5xxx and definitely 3xxx will only work with AF-S lenses (electrical focus drives).  The 7xxx bodies work with AF-S and will also work with the older Nikon mechanical focus drives (AF-D, etc).

But, if you are starting from scratch, this broader lens compatibility wouldn't be as much of a consideration, since all new Nikon lenses are of the AF-S variety.  On top of that, the newer AF-S lenses are almost always sharper and have better coma and chromatic aberration control than their slightly older AF-D counterparts.

For ultrawide lenses, look at the 12-28 and 11-20 offerings from Tokina (both are specifically for the smaller APS-C DX sensors) these are very good lenses at a great pricepoint.  Not everybody needs an ultawide like these, but if you like the expansive fields of view they offer, and can live with a little more focus motor noise than the more expensive Nikon lenses, Tokinas are great.

Also, consider used or refurbished camera bodies - you can often step up to better body at the same pricepoint, or at an even lower pricepoint if you can get the body by itself, and without the kit lens, thus allowing you to spend your money on the specific lens you're after, rather than the more general, one-size-fits-most kit lens.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:30:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Canon seems really popular, but I have a D5600 and love it. Pro tips:
-buy good glass. Very solid 35 and 50 mm prime lenses are affordable, but in general it’s like buying a long range rifle: the glass is the big investment, not the rifle, but the rifle won’t be very good with shitty glass.
-Interested in the D5600’s bluetooth and WiFi Transfer abilities like I was? Don’t be. They work well if you’re moving over relatively small numbers of jpegs. Importing a lot of files that way? You’ll be doing it for a while. And IIRC it doesn’t work with RAW files the last time I tried.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Nikon .... Lens compatibility for me.  Old Nikon lenses fit new stuff so if you find deals on on lens you do not have to worry about will it fit.
I used to have a D70s but sold it because I just want not that into photography.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is a screaming deal IMO. The D7200 is ~4 years old but is still at the #1 spot for image quality for crop sensor cameras.  Around half or more of the top 30 are Nikon, with Canon coming in at 32nd, per DXOMark testing. That said, there is debate on their testing methodology.

The only reason I sold my D7200 was to help fund a full frame upgrade.  Absolutely loved the hell out of that camera and put tens of thousands of shots through it in the 3 years I had it.  Currently using the best full frame on the market instead, so it was worth it.  (Nikon D850)
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:11:16 AM EDT
[#32]
I sold all my Nikon stuff years ago, except for my FM2 35mm and a few lenses I gave to my photog daughter. I use a Canon 5D mk III (full frame), and just got a M43 (Lumix G9).
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm a Nikon guy, so my usual answer is "you really can't wrong with either, check em out and see which you like and then buy the Nikon."

Not knowing much about Canon equipment, I'd pay attention to Flyhack's post.
View Quote
I'm a Canon guy. My advice is similar, with one minor revision.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Canon. You won't notice a difference  in the features or image quality, and Nikon shit all over the NRA over "assault rifles" while hyping their Black-series scopes.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#36]
At the last minute, in reaction to Parkland, Nikon pulled their exhibit from the NRA convention earlier this month.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
At the last minute, in reaction to Parkland, Nikon pulled their exhibit from the NRA convention earlier this month.
View Quote
Conjecture. Nikon has not said a thing about why they left the convention, but have been doing lots of deep cost cutting measures. As far as I know they are still a NRA sponsor.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a Nikon D700 and D800. Nikon glass is number one. It really is all about the lenses.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#39]
I say canon because thats what I have. A 5D MKII and 5D MKIII. I get a hold of a Nikon and I'm thinking WTF? But I suppose a Nikon person might think the same with a canon. Really what you need to buy are the lenses, the body is second.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Ok, so I came across a D7200 on eBay, with a 18-140mm lens. It was at $650 with 15 minutes to go when I first saw it, with no reserve. So, I entered my max bid at $720, just before throwing the steaks on the grille, and when I finished up, I saw that I had won it for $710!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
E-10A8-46E0-B12E-35FB62099E99-551410.JPG" />
Attachment Attached File

I think I did okay, and am pretty excited. Thanks again for all of the help.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#42]
eBay can be scary for camera gear.  Make sure that dealer has a return policy and has impeccable feedback.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#43]
2 weeks ago I traded all my Nikon gear for a Fuji xh-1 and could not be happier.  I purchased all the Nikon gear to photograph racing at COTA in Austin and it was real neat at first.  After a while it became a chore hauling all that shit around and soon I stopped taking it.  At the last WEC race Fuji was doing a demo day and I tried out their equipment and was really impressed.  This new camera has really gotten me inspired to go out and shoot again.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
eBay can be scary for camera gear.  Make sure that dealer has a return policy and has impeccable feedback.
View Quote
It’s always a risk, but I did check to make sure his feedback was decent. 100% as a member since 1999.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:48:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
When it shows up make sure you come visit us over in the Photography forum and we'll help you get all set up and shooting.
View Quote
I had no idea that even existed.

Just when I think this place can’t get any better, it does
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#47]
My wife is pushing hard for a D7500 for her birthday this year, mainly because it will work with her existing D40 lenses. I have so far been unable to convince her that a nice 2-10x scope for the SPR would be more fun...
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:22:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My wife is pushing hard for a D7500 for her birthday this year, mainly because it will work with her existing D40 lenses. I have so far been unable to convince her that a nice 2-10x scope for the SPR would be more fun...
View Quote
Get both!
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:24:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Mirrorless
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I hate to disregard what you just said, but I've got another idea.  I own a Canon 6D.  It's a great camera, and I can take some stunning pictures with it.  But it's big, and it's heavy.  I also own a Sony Alpha 6000, and I carry it with me 99% of the time I'm going to be taking pictures.  The form factor makes it easy to live with, it's right in your price range and it's a great camera.
View Quote
I have that camera and love it.

The features and customization are great for the price point.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top