Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2020 10:49:03 AM EDT
Without elaboration on my part, if you could choose one or the other brand, which do you go for?  DSLR, please.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
dude, this will be 50-50
today you cannot go wrong with any brand. The sensors and lenses are fantastic.
I like canon for how it feels in my hand, I know where all the buttons are. I have had a Canon in my hands since 1980 so I'm comfortable with the layout.  (FTQL, AE1, AE1P, EOS-630, EOS-XSi, T3i, and T6i)

The lens is the secret, pick a body and invest in good lenses, you will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Lets see now, Canon has ~50% of the camera market, Nikon ~20%, the Sony ~10%, the other Olympus, Fuji, etc ~20%.

Generally, Canon lenses are a bit less expensive because they have the auto-focusing motor as part of the body. I use Nikon D500 & D7500.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Either one.  Or Sony like I have.  Sony's mirrorless cameras are great.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Nikon hands down for me.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 12:33:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Both Nikon and Canon make great cameras and great lenses. Given the tech cycle, each takes turns leaping over the other each year. DSLR camera bodies come and go over time. You are really buying into a lens system.

The real difference is the ergonomics of the camera bodies. Weight, size, shape, button placement, menu layouts. I chose Nikon because I preferred the way they feel in my hands compared to similar Canon cameras at that time. If I was thinking about changing systems now, the costs to replace the lenses would be too much.

If you like to borrow gear, using the same company as your friends can have advantages.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 1:13:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I just got a Nikon D5600 and I'm really enjoying learning how to use it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Nikon for me.

Once you go with a brand you pretty much have to stick with it.  As NP always says "You're buying a lens system, not a camera"

ETA I'm amazed there aren't more Husky fans.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Nikon because of size and ergonomics. I first started with a D50 back in 2005. I tried the Canon stuff and didn't feel good in my bear paws. So, 15 years later, I'm on with a D750. Don't think I'll go mirrorless because they are smaller than DSLRs. Maybe it's just lenses for me for a while.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Either one.  Or Sony like I have.  Sony's mirrorless cameras are great.
View Quote
Whatever floats your boat, OP.

I used to shoot professionally and used Nikon. I have too much invested in bodies and lenses to switch now. I did borrow a friend's Canon (forget the model) and 300/2.8 and they made a great setup.

I'm just shooting for myself nowadays and I'm using a Sony mirrorless. I've been happy with it and it's a lot lighter than the DSLRs.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:26:22 PM EDT
[#10]
25 years or so with Canon and made the switch last year to Sony. I regret nothing with the switch even being extremely invested in Canon. All L glass and numerous bodies. At the end of the day they all take good pictures. For me Sony was offering options that I really liked and it was enough for me to switch.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Nikon for me. But Canon makes a great product.

I tell people go handle each one. It's kinda like buying a pistol. If you don't like the ergonomics you're not gonna use it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 11:45:04 PM EDT
[#12]
If you have no legacy lenses or affinity for one brand over the other just go try to hold one of each in the price band you’re interested in, and see which feels most intuitive to you.
Personally I’m a Nikon guy. My dad used them in the 60s and 70s, I liked his work, so I’m on my 4th Nikon digital camera.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I started out with old Minolta film cameras.
When I was assigned to an Army Press unit, I was able to use a number of different cameras. I liked the Hasselblad and Nikon cameras for their imagery, but for most of my work, the Canon system answered my needs well, since I was able to use it intuitively. The Nikon always seemed counter intuitive, and everything about Hasselblad was backasswards.
Fast forward to the digital age, I started using a full frame sensor Canon (EOS 5d) with L series lenses in order to shoot for another set of Army requirements. At this point I am in the system with a 1n, 5d, 5m, 50d, and 6d plus 8 L series lenses, battery grips, flashes, etc. The system still suits my needs, but I no longer shoot for anyone but myself, except for the occasional wedding for which I sometimes get drafted. Which I really hate. I'm competent but not comfortable at it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 6:19:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I voted Nikon because that’s the lenses that I had when I got a dslr.

If I was starting over I’d likely get a canon - my brother has a ton of canon lenses that I could barrow.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I have had Canon cameras for over forty years and still have a few 35mm with lenses. I went with Canon for dslr because i was used to the  brand. If i had to do it all over i would go with Nikon only because the older lenses can be used with the auto focus cameras as a manual lens.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Sony is ahead of Nikon and Canon, I own Nikon but I am looknig at switching over to Sony unless I decide to jump into the Nikon Z50 and Z6 systems. I am not sure the Z50 or 6 can keep up with the Sony A7 and 9.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 11:38:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm a Canon guy.

Just bought a Canon RP and DJI Ronin SC for it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 8:35:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sony is ahead of Nikon and Canon for mirrorless systems, I own Nikon but I am looknig at switching over to Sony unless I decide to jump into the Nikon Z50 and Z6 systems. I am not sure the Z50 or 6 can keep up with the Sony A7 and 9.
View Quote

Fixt
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I've had the D70, D90, D7000, D600 (retuned after 2 weeks because I thought FX wasn't worth it) and the 7D MK1.  I run M4/3 now, but if I went back to DSLRs for action sill photography I probably would go Canon (7D MK2, 400 f/5.6, 80-200 f/2.8 or 4, maybe 75-300 and/or 300 f/4).  

The Nikkor 200-500 and new 70-300 are really tempting, though.......

ETA: like huskies, and especially have owned like 5 malamutes - much stronger than huskies, generally calmer, not usually as noisy (but still plenty noisy when they desire to be) and usually not as high pitched or as high energy (but still have plenty of energy).   But I figured I'd vote according to my answer.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Ford, GM or Dodge? LOL. Cameras....same-same.

My first 35mm was a Mamiya-Sekor 1000 DTL. When I was stationed in West Germany circa 1970-something, I upgraded to a Canon A-1. Ooohhh---aaahhhhh! LOL. Those are my favorites for obvious reasons and over the years I've added a number of Nikon, Pentax and Canon bodies, drawers of lenses,  an Olympus and Minolta or two...but you're not talking about film LOL.

I'll just cut to the chase; if I had to pick just ONE, it would be Canon, specifically the 5D. As much as I love my Nikons, it does everything just a little bit better, the controls are better....but I ain't giving up any of my Nikons.

I'm not a fan of the small frame SLR's. Too cramped for my big mitts but I can make'em work. Canon Powershot. Ok, if I had to have a pocket camera, which was what I had when I was working, that would be the ticket. Use the screen as a viewfinder, takes video and pretty good general exposure capabilities for evidence pictures. But why would I have one of those when my cell takes just as good pics and has wifi. Which is why my old agency is issuing IPhones.

But you wanna REAL camera. See above.

I didn't get into digital until the late 90's, Canon. Powershot. Sorta looked like an SLR but it wasn't. Not a bad camera but my old A-1 took far better pics. Didn't get a "real digital SLR until 2013. Nikon D50.

The D50 was a great starter camera for me and I still have it. And a D90. And a Pentax k100D And of course, my general go-to, Canon 5D.
Menus suck.
The D90 has a better screen but the exposure controls on the Canon I like better. I like the ergonomics of the Nikon(s) better but the Canon has better autofucus. The Canon flash does a better job but it could just be operater errer LOL. I have the double battery kungFu grip on the canon which makes it bulky as heavy. Like comparing a 5.56 AR to a 308 AR. Same-same. Suck it up and deal or...LOL.

I'm lucky. I have at least four decent camera shops in the metro area including my favorite old camera guy in Sun City. Lots of neat old stuff. Bout as dangerous for me to go there as it is to go to a pawnshop. The one by ASU always has LOTS of good used gear because of the college. Decent lab too. Go find places like that, try-try-try.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Went with a D850 and a 24-70 2.8.  Thanks everybody.  I work too much to be a good dog owner, but if I had the time, it'd be Huskies or GSDs.
Now I'm shopping for lenses.
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 2:01:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Went with a D850 and a 24-70 2.8.  Thanks everybody.  I work too much to be a good dog owner, but if I had the time, it'd be Huskies or GSDs.
Now I'm shopping for lenses.
View Quote

The D850 is a fantastic camera.  I freaking love mine and have hauled it's fat butt around damn near everywhere possible.  There are a couple other guys with them on here, so if you have any questions, just ask.

Btw, if you are going to shoot fast, break down and get a quality XQD card.  If you're not going to be hitting the buffer limit, you can get away with slower cards.
Link Posted: 7/5/2020 6:34:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The D850 is a fantastic camera.  
Btw, if you are going to shoot fast, break down and get a quality XQD card.  If you're not going to be hitting the buffer limit, you can get away with slower cards.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Went with a D850 and a 24-70 2.8.  
The D850 is a fantastic camera.  
Yep.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I started with Nikon film cameras years ago but recently got back into photography with a Canon.  Nothing wrong with either.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Pentax shooter here.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#26]
I voted for Sony since they seem to be ahead of the game and stay there.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 11:26:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I voted for Sony since they seem to be ahead of the game and stay there.
View Quote

Sony only has the mirrorless lead.

If you're DSLR there really are only two good choices, Canon and Nikon.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Nikon hands down for me.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/31/2020 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I HIGHLY recommend checking out Fujifilm. Some of the best color on digital photos I've ever seen.

Eta: I was too late to save you. Enjoy your camera.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 11:53:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I have been shooting Nikon since 1975, without a doubt the best and largest line of optics made today.  My first camera was a Nikon F Photomic.

I dont shoot anymore, my wife is heavy into it and we are invested in Nikon digital, D500 bodies and Nikkor lenses...
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#31]
When I switched from Pentax (had a K100D........REALLY liked that camera), I picked Nikon over Canon cause' I liked the name better.    

Have had a D200, D7000, D800, D7500, and still have a D700 and D750.   All of the cameras sucked and still suck, cause my pictures still suck.  

That being said, seems like the "pro" guys use more Canon than Nikon.   Thinking maybe because they have more high end lenses, i don't know.    Anyway, I really enjoy my Nikons and will be sticking with them.......even if they suck.    

edit:    but then I was disappointed, when I was told "Nikon" is pronounced "Nick-On", not "Nie-Kon".........    
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I am a crop-frame/DX guy because I don't enjoy lugging huge & heavy, full-frame/FX lenses(and expensive) around. I have a Nikon D7500 & D500.

I recently jumped into the mirrorless arena with my purchase of the Sony A6600. I bought the Sony A6600 because it has a silent electronic shutter. I shoot mostly theatrical productions at my local high school such as plays, orchestra chamber recitals, band concerts, stage plays etc where camera noise must be at an absolute minimum.

The Sony A6xxx line fiits this job to the letter T. It has a fast focusing especially in dim stage light; and I can turn off the amber-focusing assist lamp, and the focusing still functions reasonable well, but I do get a few photos that were out of focus.

But the downside of the Sony A6600 the electronic flash synch is only up to a shutter speed of 1/150th of a second, versus my Nikon's DSLR of 1/250, this is important to me because I often shoot in daylight with fill-flash to elminate shadows.

Also the body of the of the Sony A6xxx series is a bit too short, and my little finger hangs off the bottom, and it gets painful if you have to hold on the the camera for long time.

And last but not least, the A6600 is has the 4K video, I don't do this but some do, but the menu is super complicated, and for me I will need to buy a manual or a book, because Sony doesn't supply one. Actually some of the Youtube videos on how to use the A6600 is quite good.

Also from what I have seen on the Internet, the Canon R5 & R6 are the cat's meow, and is taking the mirrorless world by storm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top