Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2020 10:42:04 PM EDT
... Mmmm...

Just upgraded from my Rebel T7 today and WOW... not in the same universe. A LOT to learn here. The high speed continuous is crazy fast. Yeah, I know... I'm not revealing any earth shattering news here. Just stoked to have this beast. Playing around with it with my 70-200L F4 and 17-55 F2.8 glass at the moment.

P.S. Yes, I did consider going full frame, but didn't want to give up the sweet F2.8 EF-S lense, and a guy (Tomas Koeck) whose wildlife work that I greatly admire, uses a 90D crop. That's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Also, I have a cold, or covid, or some shit and I'm miserable, but having this thing to play with is at least a nice distraction.

I should have my new Sigma 150-600 Contemporary early next week to play with as well. Wish it was gonna be here by Saturday's full moon, but that's likely not gonna happen.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 7:29:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice. I have a t7i I bought a few months back, I wanted to buy the 90d but couldn’t justify the extra cost since I’m new to photography.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 8:14:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The 90D is one of my workhorses for aviation stuff. It has limitations, but when all the conditions are lined up properly, it’s hard to beat.

I also use a 1DX MkIII, and MkII

Link Posted: 10/31/2020 12:03:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 90D is one of my workhorses for aviation stuff. It has limitations, but when all the conditions are lined up properly, it’s hard to beat.

http://markfingar.com/photogallery/Aircraft/Langley_2019/IMG_2518lr.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 11:52:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

http://markfingar.com/photogallery/Aircraft/Langley_2019/IMG_2518lr.jpg
View Quote

Very nice!!! Besides wildlife and landscapes, aviation is the other thing I wanna focus on (was an active private pilot in a former life).
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 11:58:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nice. I have a t7i I bought a few months back, I wanted to buy the 90d but couldn’t justify the extra cost since I’m new to photography.
View Quote

A decade ago, I got into the DSLR game when Sony first got into it. Had an Alpha A50 and picked up some decent Minolta glass for it. Did that for a couple of years, then sold everything and stepped away until now. But I retired [early] in July and when I found myself eagerly taking full moon pics with my 8 year old Canon SX40 point and shoot in August and September, I figured it was time to get back in the game. I need things to focus on [pun intended], as I'm a bit high strung and deal with depression.

Anyways... after an afternoon at the zoo today, I'm IN LOVE with this 90D. The 10fps continous drive is insane.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

A decade ago, I got into the DSLR game when Sony first got into it. Had an Alpha A50 and picked up some decent Minolta glass for it. Did that for a couple of years, then sold everything and stepped away until now. But I retired [early] in July and when I found myself eagerly taking full moon pics with my 8 year old Canon SX40 point and shoot in August and September, I figured it was time to get back in the game. I need things to focus on [pun intended], as I'm a bit high strung and deal with depression.

Anyways... after an afternoon at the zoo today, I'm IN LOVE with this 90D. The 10fps continous drive is insane.
View Quote

If you liked your SX40 you will love a M50.  You can clearly see through the viewfinder of the M50.

The ef-m 18-150 makes a good everything compromise too.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#8]
P.S. Yes, I did consider going full frame, but didn't want to give up the sweet F2.8 EF-S lense, and a guy (Tomas Koeck) whose wildlife work that I greatly admire, uses a 90D crop. That's good enough for me.
View Quote

Crop sensors are really the way to go for telephoto work (i.e. wildlife).  Landscape is the opposite, full-frame is what you want.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Got my Sigma 150-600mm F4-5.5 Contemporary lens yesterday. What a beast! I can see some decent wildlife shots in my future. Also pondering a Canon 1.4x extender in my future, for days when I don't feel like packing the beast around. My 70-200L F4 should be okay for closer shots.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Crop sensors are really the way to go for telephoto work (i.e. wildlife).  Landscape is the opposite, full-frame is what you want.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Also great for sports and action photography.
Full frame cameras are a bit slower on the fps rate compared to their crop counterparts.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Got my Sigma 150-600mm F4-5.5 Contemporary lens yesterday. What a beast! I can see some decent wildlife shots in my future. Also pondering a Canon 1.4x extender in my future, for days when I don't feel like packing the beast around. My 70-200L F4 should be okay for closer shots.
View Quote

I'm Nikon, and I gt the TC 1.4 II, and I've used it exactly once.  It just added more image degradation than I like.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm Nikon, and I gt the TC 1.4 II, and I've used it exactly once.  It just added more image degradation than I like.
View Quote

Good to know. Makes sense. Might as well just haul the 70-200 along as well when I think there's a chance that will be more useful than the super zoom. I've got a couple of nice Lowepro backpacks to choose from already.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 7:27:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Good to know. Makes sense. Might as well just haul the 70-200 along as well when I think there's a chance that will be more useful than the super zoom. I've got a couple of nice Lowepro backpacks to choose from already.
View Quote

Keep in mind I was using it on the 200-500 f/4; I imagine it might have better performance on a shorter lens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top