Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/21/2021 12:41:35 PM EDT
Really want a canoe as I see it having way more utility over a kayak, but they are hard to find.  

Why do kayaks out number canoes by a factor of 87:1?  Is it just because they can be cheaply rotomolded with $10 worth of recycled plastic and sell it for $1000?  Kayaks are being heavily pushed on the market due to that profit margin?

...or are the better than a canoe in someway I’m failing to see?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#1]
G25 Paragon is what you want
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Sit on top kayak.

Can't swamp it, dry storage inside the hull, comfortable seat, easier to paddle.

I can't see why you'd want a canoe.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless  you are camping out of your canoe or otherwise hauling cargo, a kayak is 87% better in every way.

I’ve had canoes my whole life, even won my boy scout summer camp canoe racing championship in 1977, after I got my first Kayak, I gave my canoe away.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
G25 Paragon is what you want
View Quote

Fitting username is fitting.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:46:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Canoes are great for mild rivers and small kids that can't paddle on their own. Sit On Top kayaks are far more stable than canoes, but generally only hold one person (two man kayaks seem counterintuitive to me, YMMV). I fish out of a SOT kayak but we have a canoe for the wife and kids.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Agree.  I was a die hard kayak fan after canoeing a bunch as a kid.  Got a few canoes to haul kids and gear a few years ago and have since completely divested myself of all but one kayak.  Love sitting higher, having more storage space, staying dry, and the canoes are even lighter than some of the kayaks.  Big fan of all flat bottom old towns.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sit on top kayak.

Can't swamp it, dry storage inside the hull, comfortable seat.

View Quote

Long trips, lots of gear.
Hauling out deer, bear, moose.
Dozen 330s and 6-8 40 lb beaver.
100 110s and 87 muskrats.

Some folks do stuff other than paddle around or fish.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Fishing is what drives kayak sales.  Canoes are purchased by yuppies.  The hunting/packing out a moose crowd is too small a group to take seriously.

What do you mean canoes are hard to find?  Craigslist is full of them. Most are almost new which should be a clue that answers your question.

There are three within 10 miles of me under $400. One is 18' long
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Easier to turn a kayak into a military grade kayak.

Hard to turn a canoe into a military grade kayak
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Kayaks are cheaper to produce, cheaper to ship, easier for people to transport, more maneuverable/easier to get going.

Sometimes the lower end of a market is just much more profitable. You can sell hundreds more cheap, light, easier to transport kayaks than a single decent canoe.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Canoes are heavy, a pain to move around, are more difficult to paddle, and are less maneuverable.

Kayaks have less cargo space, but are way easier to use.

So what's your intended use? A day of paddling around, or a multiday camping trip? Need passenger space?  Have a dog you're bringing along?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Swift canoe in Canada makes road trips every 2 months into the US to deliver canoes, they are pricey, but very nice. Currently, we have a Nova Craft Prospector in SP3. It's heavy, but durable and i don't have to worry any the gelcoat chipping off. I bought this to see if the family likes it enough to invest in a much lighter canoe.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Agree.  I was a die hard kayak fan after canoeing a bunch as a kid.  Got a few canoes to haul kids and gear a few years ago and have since completely divested myself of all but one kayak.  Love sitting higher, having more storage space, staying dry, and the canoes are even lighter than some of the kayaks.  Big fan of all flat bottom old towns.
View Quote
Sit on top kayak solves all those problems.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Easier to turn a kayak into a military grade kayak.

Hard to turn a canoe into a military grade kayak
View Quote

And if you get a military style assault kayak then you have river Karens calling The Man on you.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a few of both. I have custom built a few of both.

I still prefer a canoe. But I camp out of mine, portage and haul gear and fishing equipment.

I have done trips out of a kayak and canoe for over 2 weeks at a time. Many times. Up to a month. Its a little more to manage stuffing gear away in a kayak. The waterproof portage pack gets lashed in the canoe and weight is managed easier. But I make some serious miles in an efficient proper touring kayak (not a $100 tupperboat) Fishing is easier out of the canoe, but I don't mind it at all in the kayak.

I guess it all depends on what you will really use it for. Day use....kayak. Multi-day trips, canoe for me.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Fishing is what drives kayak sales.  Canoes are purchased by yuppies. ]
View Quote

Yup, out looking for a Starbucks and some beard oil.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Tactical kayak for sure...
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Canoe .

Get a Grumman if you can .

Canoed almost all rivers of south Georgia .

gd
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Canoe for me.  I just like the form factor and the room mostly fishing out of it.  I am sure a fishing Kayak would do just as well and have thought about buying one but since I have the canoe and I like it a lot it is hard to justify.

Mine is a 15' with a middle seat.  I am a bigger guy so it basically like a big solo canoe.  I did a lot of canoe camping when I was younger so that probably influenced my decision.  Every boat is a compromise of some sort.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Rifle or shotty, which one is better?
I have paddled, owned, raced, bought and sold both for 40 years.
Long technical river trips the canoe wins.
Throw the boat in the bay as a beginner, kayaks win. I hate sit on tops.
Paddle fast in said bay with camping gear, forget the grocery store beginners kayak; you need a touring boat. Ours are 17 ft. sea kayaks. They paddle better in open water loaded heavy than they do empty.
Which ever you choose spend large on your PFD and paddle. Nothing sucks more than trying to paddle with a bozo bat in your hand while wearing an orange keyhole PFD or even a fishing vest. But once cry once...
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Sit on top kayak.

Can't swamp it, dry storage inside the hull, comfortable seat, easier to paddle.

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Come to Austin.  One of the biggest paddling crowds in the state. One entire lake dedicated to paddlecraft and four other lakes besides.   There isn't a Subaru in the city that does not have a canoe on top of it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#23]
A canoe is much better for hauling gear or holding multiple passengers.  A kayak is better in every other way.

I'm going to go against GD and say that a sit-in Kayak (butt below water line) is better.  More stable, more comfortable, having foot pegs and a seat mean that you don't rely on your thighs and stomach muscles to keep you upright and can focus on paddling.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Well in normal GD fashion, get both or go be poor somewhere else!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Kayak with a side mount and a Suzuki DT-2.

MERICA !
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Neither. Paddle Board. If you really want you can do everything a kayak and canoe can do and then some.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#27]
My plan is something to play with when camping and fish from.  Logged many hours in canoes as a kid...never tried a kayak.  

Got a wife, two kids (12 & 9) and a dog.  Figure I could load the whole family in one canoe if needed.  ... or go fishing all day with one of the kids and a cooler packed with refreshments.    

Just see the canoe as having more versatility to do whatever you want.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Neither. Paddle Board. If you really want you can do everything a kayak and canoe can do and then some.
View Quote

You trap and/ or hunt off of one?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've taken two young kids and a long weekends worth of gear in my canoe.  I don't see a SOT doing that.  SOT have seats typically inches above the water.  Canoes are higher.  Canoes have many more seating options.  That said to control a canoe well it takes a little more skill and teamwork if going tandem.  I like kayaks for putsing around or solo fishing but for real utility and versatility a canoe is were it's at.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the reminder. I need to keep an eye out for a Grumman Canoe. Local trade pages usually have a few on there every year.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:20:03 PM EDT
[#32]
My neighbor has a canoe sitting in his yard the past year or two.
You should probably just take it before it is entirely covered in blackberries.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:20:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Washington didn't cross the Delaware in a kayak!

Yeah, they didn't use canoes either.

Rent a couple and see what you like.  I like canoes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#34]
I have about $3K worth of Merrimack Osprey hanging in my garage. Sold my solo Discovery hunting canoe, it flipped me once too often.

Most of the time here we're out on the lake in a SeaEagle inflatable. I much prefer paddling the canoe, but the kayak is extremely stable - even with the dog(s) running frantically from side to side. Almost impossible to flip, which is a big plus on wakeboat central.

An architect friend suspended a nice canoe upside down in a high ceiling house here and installed some lighting. Looks very cool. I've actually considered doing it with my Osprey, it has cane seats and a tiger-striped interior and we have the perfect great room for it. Hate to give up my last canoe, though.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Take a canoe into 1-2 foot swells. You'll have your answer.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#36]
My Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 was the SUV of kayaks. My (ex)wife and daughter had Old Town kayaks of appropriate size, but the cooler, grill etc always got transported on mine.

I upgraded the seat and added scupper plugs to mine.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Fishing is what drives kayak sales.  Canoes are purchased by yuppies.  The hunting/packing out a moose crowd is too small a group to take seriously
View Quote

Only one of these three sentences is true from what i see out there and I am on the water all the time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Only one of these three sentences is true from what i see out there and I am on the water all the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fishing is what drives kayak sales.  Canoes are purchased by yuppies.  The hunting/packing out a moose crowd is too small a group to take seriously

Texans often don't understand that there are entire worlds outside of texas.

It's like a learning disability.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:41:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Take a canoe into 1-2 foot swells. You'll have your answer.
View Quote

True, But... you better have some kayak skills if you are heading out in rough seas.  Most folks don't and some occasional pay the price.

That said I've been out in rollers with my canoe in L. Superior where when I was in the trough I couldn't see the beach.  (4-ish foot, long period wave.)  But I wouldn't do it again if I had the choice.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:43:24 PM EDT
[#40]
I have both, each has their uses, with canoe edging it out for more useful in general.

You can get canoes all over FB here for pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#41]
It all depends what you want out of it. I like canoes, I am not going in rough water and I can pack put of mine for a long time if I want. I see used canoes for sale pretty often, love my Grumman.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Come to Austin.  One of the biggest paddling crowds in the state. One entire lake dedicated to paddlecraft and four other lakes besides.   There isn't a Subaru in the city that does not have a canoe on top of it.
View Quote

Well then... It makes sense you are an expert on the matter...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Need that Not sure if serious Joker thing here.  I assume you are Joking.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/426417/bwca-quetico-map_jpg-1789689.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

"wE HavE aN wHOle LaKE fOr PaDdLeCrAfT."    "aLL ThE sUBaRU hAVe CaNOE."
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Had a fancy fishing kayak....sold it for a QUALITY canoe and will never own another kayak. Most of the people here downing canoes probably owned a cheap, heavy ass Coleman.

42 inch beam and no keel making it very stable and turns on a dime. I can swap from a two seater to one seat by simply swapping the seat back from stern to bow. Try to find a Royalex(no longer made) or Kevlar.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#46]
It is all about how and where you are going to use it.  Both have Pros and Cons depending on what you are doing and where.  

A Canoe is probably a good solution for the whole family.  With multiple people wind is less of an issue and you can control it better from the rear and correct for a kids paddling mistakes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Build one:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is correct if you get a good-quality, stable Stand-up paddleboard.  The cheap, shitty SUPs at Walmart won't do shit though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

True story about a trip to the boundary waters when I was about 16.  My friend and I left his dad and another friend to go camp overnight at another lake we had camped and fished at on a previous trip.   On the way back it was super windy so we were hugging the shore line to get back.  We round the corner and there is a guy and more importantly his girl sunbathing naked out on a big rock out cropping.  She casually put on her shoes threw her towel over her arm and walked up the hill while waving to us. At 16 that makes not only your day but your month possibly your year. :)
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#50]

Skin boats are easier...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top