Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2021 10:36:03 AM EDT
So my wife had to homeschool our kids in 2020 because COVID. We liked it because you could get a higher quality education in a shorter period of time. Having said that, my wife hates homeschooling and wasn't the best at it. When I say she wasn't the best at it, I mean that in a respectful way. She did the best she could but she's just not a professional teacher.

Anyways, has anyone heard of "Private Homeschooling" where you basically hire a professional teacher to come to your house and teach curriculum? Someone mentioned it to me couple years back, but I haven't been able to find anything on google. I'm only finding people who are professional tutors to assist with whatever subject they specialize in.

any insight on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Link Posted: 12/4/2021 11:01:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I imagine you can hire whomever you want. But can you afford the yearly salary of a teacher?
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 11:55:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Zog117] [#2]
Myself and 10 other families are developing a community where our “HOA” helps to pay for that... so yes we can afford it.

But where does one go to “find” and hire a teacher?
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, my brother did in NC
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SideCarGT:
Yes, my brother did in NC
View Quote

Can you elaborate on how to effectively do something like this? I don’t even know where to look. Cost is not a factor for me.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#5]
There are groups on Facebook, perhaps other social networking sites for homeschoolers.  That might be a place to start looking.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Zog117:

Can you elaborate on how to effectively do something like this? I don't even know where to look.
Cost is not a factor for me*.
View Quote

*God bless America

I was going to suggest looking at homeschooling co-ops in your area.  You might very well find some professional teachers who are homeschooling their own kids and could branch out to include others ~ or even just a community of people you could join that fills in some of the gaps.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Inquire around town and find out who is generally regarded as a great teacher, then offer him/her substantially more money.  Bet you'll get them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2021 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Why would you want to? Doesn't that negate the concept of home schooling?

It's your child...
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BerlinVet:
Why would you want to? Doesn't that negate the concept of home schooling?

It's your child...
View Quote

It still keeps the kid(s) out of shithole public schools and gives the parents much more say into how much bias, and what bias, is put into their education.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Do some reading on "Homeschool Pods".  It's a newer concept for homeschooling.  Generally, several kids around the same age/grade will all meet at one parent's house and be taught by a hired teacher.  This means only one parent has to be home while the others can work.  They pool together their money to pay for the exclusive private teacher.  

Most states--if not all--require homeschool to be taught by the actual parents; some states require that parent have a college degree, some don't.   They generally may not have someone else teach their kids unless the teacher has a degree and/or the correct licensing to teach other kids.  Hiring a real teacher is expensive so pods distribute that cost among many parents.  They avoid public schools and don't run afoul of the law.  They can choose to use public curriculum/standards or not; they paid for it they get whatever they want.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top