Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Tru-Spec has 20% off through 12/31, but they only have some parts of the system.
https://www.truspec.com/searchresults?q=ecwcs
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tru-Spec has 20% off through 12/31, but they only have some parts of the system.
https://www.truspec.com/searchresults?q=ecwcs
View Quote

Will probably order something from them at some point. They have good prices and availability. Was scared off by the poor reviews they seem to be getting lately. The gen2 parka looks interesting if i decide I need a heavier coat.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The 1st of my layers showed up. I'll do quick reviews as I get stuff. Don't know how to post pics but they are easy to find online.

Level 2 top usmc version. Got on ebay. New in original wrapping. Tag says frog. Doesn't say who stitches it or even if it's US made but im assuming it is. Has a polartec tag and and a tag that says its flame resistant. Quality seems very good. Im 6' 195 and the large is a good fit. Its a little on loose side and would probably be fine for someone my height at 220+. Color is a dark brown khaki color. Has a full zip front and 2 zippered side pockets that work well with my jacket pass throughs. When zipped all the way up it makes a nice turtle neck. Does not have thumb holes.

Very happy with it so far. Need to take it out for a hike 1st but will probably be buying more of these. I think just the level2 under my hard shell will be a good combo for hiking.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:54:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Did surplus pricing on these go absolutely bananas in the last few years? A couple years ago when the  multicam ones were hitting the surplus market I bought gen 3 layer 1, 2, and 5 plus a gen 2 layer 1, and there's no way I paid more than $150 total for all of it. I just looked on eBay and the multicam stuff is basically non existent, and UCP level 5's are like $150 per piece
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:23:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Did surplus pricing on these go absolutely bananas in the last few years? A couple years ago when the  multicam ones were hitting the surplus market I bought gen 3 layer 1, 2, and 5 plus a gen 2 layer 1, and there's no way I paid more than $150 total for all of it. I just looked on eBay and the multicam stuff is basically non existent, and UCP level 5's are like $150 per piece
View Quote

I've only looked into these recently so don't know but several people have mentioned they used to be much cheaper.  To me everything I have gotten so far is worth what I paid. For quality US made stuff it seems pretty reasonable. Looking to upgrade my hiking gear I had been looking at US or European made Civil stuff and the prices were daunting and seems increasingly difficult to nail down where stuff is made. The jacket and waffles I've received are around twice what I would have paid for equivalent Columbia brand (Vietnamese made mostly) and the quality difference is noticeable. If it lasts twice as long i break even and have more comfortable gear while im doing it.

Using the hard shell jacket as an example I was looking at Canadian and European made in the 3-500$ range. I got the Tennier jacket and pants both for the bottom end of that range. The waffle upper at 65$ seemed kinda expensive but having received it I'm very happy with the quality and figure if I get a couple more to rotate I will be set for years. Also keep in mind I am buying new and from sources that aren't necessarily the cheapest. If buying used or waiting for sales im sure there are better prices to be had.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

The pricing has definitely increased over the years.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Level one top showed up. Got off ebay. Doesn't have an ADS tag but has polartec tag and is made by Peckham. Quality is nice. Crew neck with extra long cuffs with thumb holes. Hugs my body tighter than the grid fleece. The combo breaths very well and wearing around the house with temps round 70 I'm not too warm.

https://bsbrand.com/collections/blackstrap-sock-hood-balaclava-facemask/products/sock-hood-solid-olive?variant=32502854156373

Out of the face covers I really like this one. Also ordered the neck gaiter and hinged balaclava but they scrunch my nose and press on my face collecting moisture. The sock one is tight enough to not move around but loose enough to leave a little space around your mouth and nose. With my polartec beanie over the top should keep my head toasty.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a bunch of stuff made by Peckham. Their stuff is the real deal - it was issued. Great quality.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 8:52:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Took this stuff out for a hike finally and initial impressions are very good. Was unusually warm for this time of year. Low 40s and very wet. I had on the level 1 and 2 under my hardshell. Was couple miles along the lake front stopping frequently for pics. Kept plenty warm but not overheated. This stuff wicks moisture very well and I stayed dry even where my pack is. My favorite item is probably the head sock. I've needed something like this for awhile. It rides pretty loose but still stays in place well. Very comfortable unlike stretchy ones I've tried in past that scrunch my nose and are wet and cold against my face. I think this is the cure for my winter hiking snot nose.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Got my grid fleece pants in. Was listed as usgi polartec medium weight on ebay. They are made by Peckham also. Quality seems very good and they're quite comfy. Think I paid 30$ for new in wrapping. In the pics on ebay they had the same large cardboard throw away polartec tag as the level one upper I got. Doesn't say ADS on them or the packaging.

I like the quality of the Peckham stuff. Hopefully the stuff I ordered direct from polartec is stitched by them. If you look around on ebay and other used clothing sites you can find really good deals on used stuff for those looking to get warm on the cheap + in the used adds they usually post a pic of the tag so you know if its Peckham or not.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Got my Tennier rain pants from orbitaltactical. Very impressed with these. Most of the stuff I've been buying is an incremental improvement over my old gear. These are a big improvement. This was the only item I've ordered so far that I thought was over priced at 150 same as the jacket. Having looked them over I now understand the cost. A lot of stitching and material went into these.

Most important to me is they are reinforced in the knees and seat areas. They have zippers that open the legs up to knee level. I could see these being useful if you get overheated you can open the zippers and roll up your fleece. They have pass through pockets and belt loops. My favorite detail is the botton and zip fly at the top which none of my previous rain pants have had. I wish my grid fleece pants had pockets. The pass throughs are kinda useless without them. I might see if my wife can sew some in.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#12]
The stuff i ordered direct from polartec finally showed up. Never got any kind of confirmation or shipping emails. It is all Peckham stuff and in fact shipped from them so the polartec website is essentially the way to order stuff directly from Peckham. The prices are a bit high but you know you're getting the real deal straight from the manufacturer.

I have since got hip to ebay and I would look there first. Everything I've ordered that has the large polartec or tactical looking genIII throw away tags had been Peckham stuff.

The usmc frog stuff is also all Peckham so far. I like the usmc lvl2 uppers because they have pockets to work with the hard shell pass throughs. The one of received is the full zip with zip up side pockets. I really like it but apparently these are hens teeth and I haven't been able to find more. I have some of usmc half zip pullovers with kangaroo pouch on the way that seem to be way more common.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have some of usmc half zip pullovers with kangaroo pouch on the way that seem to be way more common.
View Quote

I bought one of those of ebay and got it yesterday. It is good but I found the sleeve and body length a little on the short side.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I bought one of those of ebay and got it yesterday. It is good but I found the sleeve and body length a little on the short side.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have some of usmc half zip pullovers with kangaroo pouch on the way that seem to be way more common.

I got in a small lot of ECWCS black fleece jackets in the other day. The sleeve length is quite a bit shorter than other jackets I've used.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:04:53 AM EDT
[#15]
So apparently the pull overs i ordered were the usmc regular fleece and not waffle fleece. They were cheap so no big deal. They are nice and a lot less military looking than the army fleece. They're a more solid fleece vrs the furry type fleece of the Peckham army ones. Seems to be a bunch of new in wrapping on ebay for pretty cheap right now. Upside im set for level 3 but need level 2s. Might have to look at used.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:11:54 AM EDT
[#16]
If you have any questions on ECWCS  let me know. I gave a briefing on it today to 115 people, and do so regularly. I have also used it in extreme cold many times.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:14:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Want to give these gloves a plug too.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1458904-REG/the_heat_company_33053_polartec_wind_pro_liner.html

Very comfortable and the size selection allows for a much better fit than the usual s-m-l. They're warm and windproof on the back. They're listed as water resistant and running water over them in the sink the water beads and runs right off. I wouldn't stick them in a stream though. The sensor tips work great on my phone.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:23:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you have any questions on ECWCS  let me know. I gave a briefing on it today to 115 people, and do so regularly. I have also used it in extreme cold many times.
View Quote

I actually do have a stupid question. I ordered a pair of the level 7 pants that someone was selling cheap. I'm assuming these would be worn instead of my level 6 pants and not over them? Also how water proof are the level 7 pants? They are ADS tagged made by wild things.

Another thing I've wondered is the Tennier hard shell jackets and pants have the pass throughs but the army issue grid fleece has no pockets so unless your wearing your level 3 you have no pockets. How do guys deal with this. I'm getting usmc waffle uppers that have pockets and my wife is gonna sew pockets on my lowers just wondering what the military guys do.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:30:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I actually do have a stupid question. I ordered a pair of the level 7 pants that someone was selling cheap. I'm assuming these would be worn instead of my level 6 pants and not over them? Also how water proof are the level 7 pants?

Another thing I've wondered is the Tennier hard shell jackets and pants have the pass throughs but the army issue grid fleece has no pockets so unless your wearing your level 3 you have no pockets. How do guys deal with this. I'm getting usmc waffle uppers that have pockets and my wife is gonna sew pockets on my lowers just wondering what the military guys do.
View Quote

The 7 top and bottom are designed for extreme cold and static positions. We don’t allow people to wear the 7s while moving. And it’s not an authorized garrison outer garment until it’s below 0. They have the full zip pants to make them easy and fast to take off and put on when you stop your movement or are about to start one. The 7 top is sized to fit over body armor for the same reason. They are water resistant but not water proof as they are designed to be used well below freezing where rain or even wet snow aren’t a real concern.

The level 6 is often worn over level 5 or ocps so you have those pockets.

The level 5 is the real money maker of the system.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:36:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I actually do have a stupid question. I ordered a pair of the level 7 pants that someone was selling cheap. I'm assuming these would be worn instead of my level 6 pants and not over them? Also how water proof are the level 7 pants? They are ADS tagged made by wild things.

View Quote

Level 7 is meant for extreme cold like where I live, where it’s so cold you don’t need to worry about water. The fabrics and Primaloft insulation are very hydrophobic and dry quickly. They’re also great for throwing on over wet under layers while moving to dry yourself out. I just got off a little mountain a couple hours ago and wore a Primaloft puffy hoodie for the last mile back to the trailhead to dry out my merino shirt. Worked like a charm.

Level 6 is meant to be worn sporadically when not moving, not constantly. Level 5 is your “uniform” which has functional pockets. This is one of the reasons I suggested a commercial hard shell instead of the issued trash bag. It’s better than nothing, but compared to the Fjallraven jacket I wore most of the day above tree line, it is an actual garbage bag.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:38:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The 7 top and bottom are designed for extreme cold and static positions. We don’t allow people to wear the 7s while moving. And it’s not an authorized garrison outer garment until it’s below 0. They have the full zip pants to make them easy and fast to take off and put on when you stop your movement or are about to start one. The 7 top is sized to fit over body armor for the same reason. They are water resistant but not water proof as they are designed to be used well below freezing where rain or even wet snow aren’t a real concern.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually do have a stupid question. I ordered a pair of the level 7 pants that someone was selling cheap. I'm assuming these would be worn instead of my level 6 pants and not over them? Also how water proof are the level 7 pants?

Could u explain the lvl 4 and 5 tops. No one seems to use these and I hadn't really looked into them. I had assumed the lvl 6 would be worn instead of these and not over them. I got the level 7 pants for when I was sitting around taking video and pics. They are full zip sides so I can change in and out without removing my boots. I intended to try them right over my lvl6 pants but didn't know if that was a silly idea. They were 30$ so I figured why not.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:45:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So apparently the pull overs i ordered were the usmc regular fleece and not waffle fleece. They were cheap so no big deal. They are nice and a lot less military looking than the army fleece. They're a more solid fleece vrs the furry type fleece of the Peckham army ones. Seems to be a bunch of new in wrapping on ebay for pretty cheap right now. Upside im set for level 3 but need level 2s. Might have to look at used.
View Quote

The Marine fleece is much better than the Army waffles but it’s still a Level 2. They don’t use the same layering system, I think they have four layers (FROG base layer, kangaroo pocket fleece, APECS top and bottom, and Happy Suit (which is issued with booties and maybe some OR mittens).

You really gotta get your hands on some good gear like an R2 or Atom LT, man. Even that cheap Backcountry branded high loft fleece blows the Army issued one away.

ETA: EVERYONE wears the L4 and L5 tops or equivalent, dude.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:46:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Could u explain the lvl 4 and 5 tops. No one seems to use these and I hadn't really looked into them. I had assumed the lvl 6 would be worn instead of these and not over them. I got the level 7 pants for when I was sitting around taking video and pics. They are full zip sides so I can change in and out without removing my boots. I intended to try them right over my lvl6 pants but didn't know if that was a silly idea. They were 30$ so I figured why not.
View Quote

Level 4 isn’t used a lot. It can be worn outside in mild weather(40s and a breeze). But in the Army it’s really only ever used in buildings. In Alaska we wear the level 5 all winter long so people will wear the 4 under the 5 top so they can take the 5 top off and be cooler in buildings while still having name tape/rank.

5 is the basic outer soft shell. Both top and bottom breath very well and are comfortable. And like I said is the uniform from October-April

When I’m out in the elements I normally wear level 1 top and bottom. And level 5 top and bottom till about 0. Then I’ll put on a level 2 top. I also have the level 7 top readily available to throw on it you are stagnant.

You could wear the 7 over the 6 but most people don’t wear the 6 unless it’s raining or around 32 degrees with wet snow.

Currently testing the next system and it’s level 3 is amazing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:48:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Level 7 is meant for extreme cold like where I live, where it’s so cold you don’t need to worry about water. The fabrics and Primaloft insulation are very hydrophobic and dry quickly. They’re also great for throwing on over wet under layers while moving to dry yourself out. I just got off a little mountain a couple hours ago and wore a Primaloft puffy hoodie for the last mile back to the trailhead to dry out my merino shirt. Worked like a charm.

Level 6 is meant to be worn sporadically when not moving, not constantly. Level 5 is your “uniform” which has functional pockets. This is one of the reasons I suggested a commercial hard shell instead of the issued trash bag. It’s better than nothing, but compared to the Fjallraven jacket I wore most of the day above tree line, it is an actual garbage bag.
View Quote

So is the level5 water proof? I really like the lvl6 Tennier and it works well with usmc grids underneath. With the waist cinched an all the velcro in place its very good for not hanging up in heavy brush. Winter conditions where I live are usually a little above freezing and constantly raining so some light thermal and a hard shell has been my standard for years. I love the combo of the Tennier over the full zip usmc waffle with zippered pockets but those seem to be rare.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:51:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So is the level5 water proof? I really like the lvl6 Tennier and it works well with usmc grids underneath. With the waist cinched an all the velcro in place its very good for not hanging up in heavy brush. Winter conditions where I live are usually a little above freezing and constantly raining so some light thermal and a hard shell has been my standard for years. I love the combo of the Tennier over the full zip usmc waffle with zippered pockets but those seem to be rare.
View Quote

5 is water resistant but not water proof. Sounds like the 6 is more useful to you.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 12:58:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Level 4 isn’t used a lot. It can be worn outside in mild weather(40s and a breeze). But in the Army it’s really only ever used in buildings. In Alaska we wear the level 5 all winter long so people will wear the 4 under the 5 top so they can take the 5 top off and be cooler in buildings while still having name tape/rank.

5 is the basic outer soft shell. Both top and bottom breath very well and are comfortable. And like I said is the uniform from October-April

When I’m out in the elements I normally wear level 1 top and bottom. And level 5 top and bottom till about 0. Then I’ll put on a level 2 top. I also have the level 7 top readily available to throw on it you are stagnant.

You could wear the 7 over the 6 but most people don’t wear the 6 unless it’s raining or around 32 degrees with wet snow.

Currently testing the next system and it’s level 3 is amazing.
View Quote

Thanks. It rains 6 months out of the year here so hard shell is pretty standard. When it’s not too cold the lvl1 bottom and level 1 and 2 top with the Tennier stuff over the top seems to breath well and keeps me warm enough when we stop for pics and video. I had looked at the lvl 5 briefly but it didn't look like a serious enough raincoat for my environment. The lvl 7 bottoms are for sitting around in the snow when we go up on the mountain.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 1:05:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The Marine fleece is much better than the Army waffles but it’s still a Level 2. They don’t use the same layering system, I think they have four layers (FROG base layer, kangaroo pocket fleece, APECS top and bottom, and Happy Suit (which is issued with booties and maybe some OR mittens).

You really gotta get your hands on some good gear like an R2 or Atom LT, man. Even that cheap Backcountry branded high loft fleece blows the Army issued one away.

ETA: EVERYONE wears the L4 and L5 tops or equivalent, dude.
View Quote

Yeah my wife got an army fleece and she likes it cause its fuzzy but I wasn't impressed. The usmc fleece seem a lot nicer. My references to 4 and 5 were in civilian hands were I live. Everyone hear does hard shells with light layers underneath.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:20:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Looked up that fajwhatever. 400+ for a raincoat is a pass for me. I do too much stupid stuff which my shell bears the brunt of. Why the hate for the level 6? Keeps me warm, dry, breaths well and seems durable. Mine fits me well and buttoned up seems to shed brush very well. Is there something I'm missing? It seems to keep the outside on the outside and I won't cry when I inevitably put a hole in it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 3:44:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yeah my wife got an army fleece and she likes it cause its fuzzy but I wasn't impressed. The usmc fleece seem a lot nicer. My references to 4 and 5 were in civilian hands were I live. Everyone hear does hard shells with light layers underneath.
View Quote

I have a couple of the fuzzy marine 1/4 zip pullovers.
They kick ass.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:14:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You really gotta get your hands on some good gear like an R2 or Atom LT, man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
You really gotta get your hands on some good gear like an R2 or Atom LT, man.

I used to swear by my USMC fleece jacket. Black, 300 weight, pit zips - such a great piece of kit. But then the wind blows right through it so you need a shell. After hearing everyone talk about how great the Arc'teryx Atom is I finally picked one up a couple of years ago. It quickly replaced my USMC fleece. It is windproof and has a DWR coating on it. It has breathable panels on the side so when it is under a shell I do not have to fiddle with two sets of zippers.

Quoted:
So apparently the pull overs i ordered were the usmc regular fleece and not waffle fleece.

I noticed some sellers on ebay have them listed as waffle/grid fleece but that is incorrect.

Quoted:
Looked up that fajwhatever. 400+ for a raincoat is a pass for me. I do too much stupid stuff which my shell bears the brunt of. Why the hate for the level 6? Keeps me warm, dry, breaths well and seems durable. Mine fits me well and buttoned up seems to shed brush very well. Is there something I'm missing? It seems to keep the outside on the outside and I won't cry when I inevitably put a hole in it.

Yes IMO. From what I have seen most people who buy the military stuff want good gear at a cheap price. The cheap price is a very important factor. It is not a bad place to start and learn but there is newer designed civilian gear out there that is better. Not all of it has to be $400.

I have a shell from EMS that I picked up on sale for like $120 a long time ago that has been awesome. It is durable, lightweight, and flexible. It moves much better than the ECWCS parka. It does not "crinkle" every time I move. I think it breathes better too.

I wear a mix of ECWCS gear and civilian gear. At this point there are much better civilian offerings. I think some of those have a good benefit vs increased cost ratio and some do not.

Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:20:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have some fire retardant nomex cold weather gear because I am in a tank.  It seems to be superior to gortex but you can't layer well.  
View Quote

It sounds like you got the F.R.E.E. stuff, which is what Aviation gets. Superior in almost every way to the "standard" ECWWS, except that the outer "shell" of the IWOL and LWOL jackets seem to wear faster. I have been in for 17 years, and it is the best CWWS that I have been issued.

The way it is supposed to be worn is that you omit the regular uniform, depending on the temperature and weather conditions. I used to have a really good brochure that outlined what was supposed to be worn when, but I think it is buried in a tuffbox back in the US.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 7:34:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Watch cap, silkies, waffle long underwear all gtg.  Don't care for the fleece at all.  Rain stuff is ok.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I used to swear by my USMC fleece jacket. Black, 300 weight, pit zips - such a great piece of kit. But then the wind blows right through it so you need a shell. After hearing everyone talk about how great the Arc'teryx Atom is I finally picked one up a couple of years ago. It quickly replaced my USMC fleece. It is windproof and has a DWR coating on it. It has breathable panels on the side so when it is under a shell I do not have to fiddle with two sets of zippers.

I noticed some sellers on ebay have them listed as waffle/grid fleece but that is incorrect.

Yes IMO. From what I have seen most people who buy the military stuff want good gear at a cheap price. The cheap price is a very important factor. It is not a bad place to start and learn but there is newer designed civilian gear out there that is better. Not all of it has to be $400.

I have a shell from EMS that I picked up on sale for like $120 a long time ago that has been awesome. It is durable, lightweight, and flexible. It moves much better than the ECWCS parka. It does not "crinkle" every time I move. I think it breathes better too.

I wear a mix of ECWCS gear and civilian gear. At this point there are much better civilian offerings. I think some of those have a good benefit vs increased cost ratio and some do not.

View Quote

Good points. I should emphasize the cheap aspect more. I'm sure the 400+ dollar jacket is nicer i just can't justify the cost. I paid that much for my boots but can't see it for a raincoat.

The fleeces i got are 100 weight not the 300. They are half zips with a kangaroo pocket. I think one of the posters above said they are a level2 item so basically an alternative to the grid. I like them after having worn one they just weren't what I thought they were. I think the seller had them listed as mid weight which is how some people list the grid so I think the mistake was mine.  I think they will work fine and a bonus is they look quite nice and not at all tactical.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The fleeces i got are 100 weight not the 300. They are half zips with a kangaroo pocket. I think one of the posters above said they are a level2 item so basically an alternative to the grid. I like them after having worn one they just weren't what I thought they were. I think the seller had them listed as mid weight which is how some people list the grid so I think the mistake was mine.  I think they will work fine and a bonus is they look quite nice and not at all tactical.
View Quote

I was talking about a piece of gear I have which is pretty popular and comparing it to the Atom LT.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Watch cap, silkies, waffle long underwear all gtg.  Don't care for the fleece at all.  Rain stuff is ok.
View Quote

Pretty much. I rate the rain gear higher but thats probably because I've been wearing junk. The lvl3 army fleece is just kind of odd. I finally got mine out of the wrapper and its actually quite comfy around the house but I don't think it will get much use hiking. Don't think I would recommend for the price. I think I will get more waffle fleece and use the 100g usmc solid fleece as my 3rd layer if one is needed.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
And just to be clear i don't think the Tennier stuff was ever standard issue. Guys in the .mil seemed to have used them and they have the nsn # but I don't know how they were issued. I think the ADS made by Peckham is current or recent issue. The
Millikin stuff is older and seems to be well regarded.
Not sure who makes the polartec stuff. I will update when it gets here.

What are people using for gloves with these kinda set ups? Would like light insulation and water proof while being a snug enough to still use a rifle. The gloves I've found that seem high quality either seem too bulky or are not water proof.
View Quote

They are a government contractor and have been for years

https://www.tennierindustries.com/tennier/
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:45:03 AM EDT
[#37]
I want to make clear that I'm not trying to make this stuff seem like the end all of cold weather gear. From the perspective of someone like me who had junk and no proper understanding of breathability or layering it is a revelation. To someone who does serious mountain climbing im sure its meh.

When I finally decided to upgrade gear I was looking at civilian stuff first and with no frame of reference it was very confusing. The military stuff made it easy for me to know what sort of gear I needed and the price was right. Also the fact its US made with US cloth is important to me.

And thanks to everyone in the know who's added knowledge to this. I've been adding reviews and links so I can have people read the thread as a primer to buying this stuff. I think I've gotten most of it right and I appreciate the corrections of the stuff I didn't.

P.s. I love my usmc full zip waffle top with the zippered pockets. If anyone knows of a source to buy more please share.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#38]

Got my USMC windpro fleece in. This is probably my favorite item so far. Full zip, zippered pockets, internal net pockets, reinforced at the forearms and neck, fancy waist tighteners etc. Its listed as water and wind resistant but haven't had it out yet to test. I bought up all the ebay ones in the 60 dollar range. Hopefully someone will post more at a reasonable price.

Ebay link won't work....
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

@Rosta97

The ECWCS Gen 4 Level 7 Pants I own have loops on the inside of the waist.  Is this to attach suspenders?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:54:12 AM EDT
[#40]
@C-4

These?Attachment Attached File

Yeah they are for suspenders.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:07:25 AM EDT
[#41]

@Rosta97

Yes!  Link to suspenders?

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:07:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

@Rosta97

Yes!  Link to suspenders?

View Quote

The ones that come with it aren’t great. I’m not sure where you could find just those. The ones that come with the new CTIP are okay
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:26:02 AM EDT
[#43]
I have every layer other than the level 4 wind jacket, which I always found useless.

Levels 1 and 2 are great, everyone knows that.

I like the level 3 fleece, but it’s ultra warm so only useable as an under layer in extreme cold (subzero) or when you’re static in below freezing temps.

I love the level 5. Perfect for Michigan winters.

The level 6 are great. Especially for the price. Better than my North Face rain gear by far.

The Level 7 are amazing. For subzero weather only though or static below freezing.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have every layer other than the level 4 wind jacket, which I always found useless.

I like the level 3 fleece, but it’s ultra warm so only useable as an under layer in extreme cold (subzero) or when you’re static in below freezing temps.

The level 6 are great. Especially for the price. Better than my North Face rain gear by far.

The Level 7 are amazing. For subzero weather only though or static below freezing.
View Quote

The level 5 is listed as water resistant. How resistant is it and do u need to treat with anything to maintain it? I ordered a set of level 5 to check out since people were speaking highly of them in the later part of this thread.

Agree on the level 6. Upper is pretty nice and I really like the pants. I know guys with fancy gear were calling it a garbage bag but for somebody who's worn crap there whole life its a definite step up. A repeat for any 1st time buyers the lvl6 has no pockets only pass throughs so plan accordingly.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Got my USMC windpro fleece in. This is probably my favorite item so far. Full zip, zippered pockets, internal net pockets, reinforced at the forearms and neck, fancy waist tighteners etc. Its listed as water and wind resistant but haven't had it out yet to test. I bought up all the ebay ones in the 60 dollar range. Hopefully someone will post more at a reasonable price.

Ebay link won't work....
View Quote

Damnit I wasn’t even aware of these. Hope I can find one in XL-Long.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:33:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

The new CTIP level 3s are amazing. Way better than the fleece. Last years test item on the right vs this years on the left. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The new CTIP level 3s are amazing. Way better than the fleece. Last years test item on the right vs this years on the left. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/A53E3898-9D9F-45C7-A0E5-605D5D97B9C6_jpe-1781622.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The new CTIP level 3s are amazing. Way better than the fleece. Last years test item on the right vs this years on the left. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231690/A53E3898-9D9F-45C7-A0E5-605D5D97B9C6_jpe-1781622.JPG

How loud is this material?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

How loud is this material?
View Quote

Not very loud. Probably the same or less as a ecwcs level 5.( I can really only say for last years. Hasn’t been cold enough for this years since I got it but imagine it’s the same.)
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:31:46 PM EDT
[#49]
In my experience, silkies are good for when you are moving around a lot or in and out of outdoors.

If you are standing around or sitting outdoors with little movement, go with something thicker.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#50]
It’s not the most comfortable gear and certainly not the most quiet but damn if it isn’t effective. Being stationed in Alaska for the better part of 10 years it always kept my warm and dry a huge improvement over the prior generation with the stiff and itchy dark layers and the “bear suit” outer layers.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top