Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2021 3:07:57 PM EDT
I'm new to printing and so far only downloading things on Thingiverse and editing/slicing with Kiri:moto, which is limited.

My wife had the idea to make her mom some cookie cutters/cookie presses with the name of their farm on it. If it could be in the shape of a dog paw that would be even better.

(deleted)It will cost nothing because nobody can charge for parts/design in this forum. Rat_Patrol

thanks!
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you like cutters, or presses? I assume a press since you need to emboss or deboss a name?

What is the name? How big?

I might be able to give this a whirl.

Although this may be more fitting in the part request thread.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I would think this might be a 2 part cutter.
The first to make the paw shape
And the second you press into the paw shape to make the farm's embossment

Trying to make one piece might prove difficult to remove cookies.

Here's a dog paw

This might be a 3 part piece:
The first to make the overall outline
The second to come down and make the paw's defining features standout/raise up
And the third to make the farm's embossment

You could always align the 3 parts, in the slicing software, and make a single part mold, for the first run.
If the cookies aren't too hard to get out, and aren't deformed doing so, you're done
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#3]
This is a quickie mashup using
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3216389
as a jumping off point & doing a few additions in Tinkercad (on-line).  It would make a 80mm round cookie (a bit over 3 inches).

Attachment Attached File

Is that the sort of thing you're looking for?
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do you like cutters, or presses? I assume a press since you need to emboss or deboss a name?

What is the name? How big?

I might be able to give this a whirl.

Although this may be more fitting in the part request thread.
View Quote

the name is "Irish Acres" and I'm open on the size, big enough to read but reasonable for a cookie. Maybe 3"-4" or so? I believe a press and a cookie cutter. it may work as one, it may not, I'm super new. Hell I haven't even made a benchy yet, but been making Octopi for the kids.

Quoted:
This is a quickie mashup using
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3216389
as a jumping off point & doing a few additions in Tinkercad (on-line).  It would make a 80mm round cookie (a bit over 3 inches).

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/128622/Screen_Shot_11-05-21_at_03_53_PM_PNG-2155882.JPG

Is that the sort of thing you're looking for?
View Quote

yeah, that would do it.
do you think the press and cutter would need to be 2 pieces? I didn't realize there was an online version of tinkercad.... I'll try and figure that out now too!
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, I'd do something like this:

Attachment Attached File

Basically, cookie cutter would be a single piece. The thickness of the web would be thinner than the embossed print (to hold it all in one cookie vs. 5 cookie pieces), and then you would deboss the name into the "palm" of the paw.

Or you could Emboss vs Deboss the text. Up to you.  It would get to be a pretty tall cookie if you embossed it though.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll leave this go because I didn't catch it early and there are a bunch of responses, but in the future please use the tacked request thread

Be known that NO MONEY can change hands since this is a digital request.
View Quote

@Rat_Patrol sorry, I didn't know the rules/etiquette of this sub forum. I won't do it again.

I do appreciate the resources shared! signed up for Tinkercad and I'll do the tutorial as soon as the kids stop screaming...
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No problem. I try not to be a hard ass, but if this was for a physical part I would have locked it down
View Quote

You know none of us regulars would ever charge...right?
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I used the wrong PLA print profile so it turned out crappy.

But the design seems to be dece.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

But the design seems to be dece.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/20211105_195800_jpg-2156228.JPG
View Quote

Dude that looks awesome!
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Dude that looks awesome!
View Quote

PM Me your email and I'll send the STL over. If you want any changes, let me know.  Or, if, when you print it, you feel it needs tweaks, let me know.

Always happy to help.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 7:07:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ok, what's wrong with it?
Just trying to learn.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 8:03:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ok, what's wrong with it?
Just trying to learn.
View Quote

I have different brands of PLA...One of them requires a 1.05 extrusion multiplier, and another I have requires 0.95. I accidentally selected the wrong profile and I realized it halfway through. I printed this using a filament I need to up the multiplier on, and instead I selected the 0.95, so the print underextruded.

I also ran PETG prior to this print, and I didn't clean the nozzle out all the way. I normally run cleaning filament between filament type changes, but didn't bother as this was just a proof of design print and not something that would actually be used.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 10:59:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I will absolutely check it out.  I am in learning mode here.

NOT AT ALL TECHY but interested.

View Quote

We are always happy to answer any questions you may have, whether you currently print or not, or even if you never plan to.

In this forum we agree to do this strictly as ambassadors for the hobby and we all pledge to not turn a profit in offering CAD design, printing, or advice; in fact we don't even charge for the filament to recoup cost. At the end of the day it's not much and it's a great way to give back to fellow Arfcommers.

To see other solutions offered by Arfcom "makers" to others needing help, check out the parts request thread here.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 11:53:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 12:01:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 5:39:51 AM EDT
[#22]
From a techie type who also cooks a bit:  be sure and bake a test batch after you settle on a design and print a cutter.  There's a  good chance your lettering may disappear as the cookie swells when it bakes.  Some dough recipes may work better than others.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 2:08:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Is there a established logo or font for this farm?
Preferably .svg format.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 6:19:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is there a established logo or font for this farm?
Preferably .svg format.
View Quote

There’s not. It’s their retirement land/property and they call it “Irish Acres” because they also rescue Irish Setters
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top