Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2021 3:37:44 PM EDT
So quick run-down of what I'm aware of:

- God is the first Mover. He's pure actuality with no potentiality.
- Humans are rational animals.
- Humans are the lowest of the high, and the highest of the low. Meaning in the animal kingdom, we're the highest animal. In the spiritual kingdom, we're the lowest.

So I've read and heard Angels actually do not posses the attribute of reason. Because they are above reason, but are not pure actuality like God is.

Any further information on what these guys are either philosophically or any good information about them from study? Both archangels like Michael or even just "plain" ones. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#1]
The only authentic source for information on angles is the Bible and it doesn't go into great detail about them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only authentic source for information on angles is the Bible and it doesn't go into great detail about them.
View Quote

I think it's fascinating. Because they're referenced in the bible, they're known in popular culture for hundreds of years but I don't know much about them.

I was listening to a Thomistic lecture which mentioned them briefly, but didn't expand on them. Which got me thinking I know Michael is the leader of God's army, but I really didn't know much more about him. I know of Gabriel, but he's only mentioned twice in the bible.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#3]
You can start with Dictionary of Angels by Davidson. It’s considered in some circles to be the definitive source for all things Angels.

He did extensive research and lists them all including the fallen angels. It’s a very hard read because while he was a good researcher he wasn’t able to convey that well in writing, however it is a great source book.

I would start small and look at the ArchAngels first in my opinion and experience, sticking with the four main
Michael
Gabriel
Raphiel ( the healer of God)
And Uriel

Then move on to the other ArchAngels.

From my experience you can liken them to a function. They each have a specific function or job they are given to do and they do that function solely. They can be found in other avenues but it won’t be something they are “proficient” at. Also they are a pure Intelligence.

You will also have to understand that as you move into the orders of Angels, from Archangels to  Angels, Virtues, Principalities,Powers,Dominions,Thrones, Cherubim and Seraphim (9 orders in all) they don’t necessarily look like they are pictured in popular art and culture.

Good luck and hope you find what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 5:09:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You can start with Dictionary of Angels by Davidson. It’s considered in some circles to be the definitive source for all things Angels.

He did extensive research and lists them all including the fallen angels. It’s a very hard read because while he was a good researcher he wasn’t able to convey that well in writing, however it is a great source book.

I would start small and look at the ArchAngels first in my opinion and experience, sticking with the four main
Michael
Gabriel
And Uriel

From my experience you can liken them to a function. They each have a specific function or job they are given to do and they do that function solely. They can be found in other avenues but it won’t be something they are “proficient” at. Also they are a pure Intelligence.

You will also have to understand that as you move into the orders of Angels, from Archangels to  Angels, Virtues, Principalities,Powers,Dominions,Thrones, Cherubim and Seraphim (9 orders in all) they don’t necessarily look like they are pictured in popular art and culture.

View Quote

Thanks, I'll check it out. Appreciate the response.

To your last point, I've read they actually do not have bodies. Because man is in the image of God, that's what made the Resurrection important. But angels are from my limited reading...different.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

To your last point, I've read they actually do not have bodies. Because man is in the image of God, that's what made the Resurrection important. But angels are from my limited reading...different.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Michael
Gabriel
And Uriel

They are. It has also been my experience that they don’t necessarily have bodies. They can and will appear in a form that is easiest for you to relate and understand. Once this has been adjusted to, they can and do show their truer form.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

- Humans are the lowest of the high, and the highest of the low. Meaning in the animal kingdom, we're the highest animal. In the spiritual kingdom, we're the lowest.

So I've read and heard Angels actually do not posses the attribute of reason. Because they are above reason, but are not pure actuality like God is.

Any further information on what these guys are either philosophically or any good information about them from study? Both archangels like Michael or even just "plain" ones. Thanks!
View Quote

Great thread.  The short answer to your question is that there's a reason they call St. Thomas Aquinas the Angelic Doctor.  Naturally, that will be my recommendation; specificially, the Prima Pars.  Also, Peter Kreeft, who reveres St. Thomas greatly, has a book on angels.  I would recommend that too.

Now, what follows is just my ramblings.  Because angels not hylomorphic, act and potency become more difficult to articulate.  However, I would agree that angels are not pure actuality (God alone is).  I would even argue that potentiality remains at the very least as a matter of will.  I would use three examples to support this:
    1. The fallen angels.
    2. St. Raphael in Tobias.
    3. The appointment of angels to guardianship.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 9:47:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Great thread.  The short answer to your question is that there's a reason they call St. Thomas Aquinas the Angelic Doctor.  Naturally, that will be my recommendation; specificially, the Prima Pars.  Also, Peter Kreeft, who reveres St. Thomas greatly, has a book on angels.  I would recommend that too.

Now, what follows is just my ramblings.  Because angels not hylomorphic, act and potency become more difficult to articulate.  However, I would agree that angels are not pure actuality (God alone is).  I would even argue that potentiality remains at the very least as a matter of will.  I would use three examples to support this:
    1. The fallen angels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. The fallen angels.

Piqued my interest previously, then was listening to a lecture on hylomorphicism from the Thomistic Institute, which started this thread.

I get hylomorphicism. I do not fully understand angels. I'll buy that book.

Thanks brother.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Father Ripperger on guardian angels

Guardian Angels ~ Fr Ripperger
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Piqued my interest previously, then was listening to a lecture on hylomorphicism from the Thomistic Institute, which started this thread.

Thanks brother.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. The fallen angels.

Thanks brother.

My pleasure, brother.

I seemed to recall that Garrigou-Lagrange wrote on angels too, but could not remember any titles.  After searching, was not disappointed.  Here's a very high-level summary from him.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 11:14:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My pleasure, brother.

I seemed to recall that Garrigou-Lagrange wrote on angels too, but could not remember any titles.  After searching, was not disappointed.  Here's a very high-level summary from him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. The fallen angels.

Thanks brother.

My pleasure, brother.

Great article, thank you. I've read Aquinas on how there's differences between things, being, sensing, etc.

I've also read angels are their own species, thanks to Aquinas. But this was a good read. Thank you brother.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 11:19:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My pleasure, brother.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. The fallen angels.

Thanks brother.

My pleasure, brother.

I read this again and am happy to report I get it more but I don't get it entirely. Which is right where I am.

Link Posted: 7/24/2021 11:46:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 1:27:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I would stick to the Bible for an accurate picture of their attributes. I think it’s inaccurate that humans are the lowest level spiritual beings. We are made in the image of God, God became a man in Christ Jesus, he saved us, and those who believe in Jesus were chosen before creation.

Angels don’t seem to be to different from us, and Jesus says we will be like them after the resurrection. I don’t see where they would not have reason.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would stick to the Bible for an accurate picture of their attributes. I think it’s inaccurate that humans are the lowest level spiritual beings. We are made in the image of God, God became a man in Christ Jesus, he saved us, and those who believe in Jesus were chosen before creation.

Angels don’t seem to be to different from us, and Jesus says we will be like them after the resurrection. I don’t see where they would not have reason.
View Quote

This is a good thread, so I'll answer in the interest of keeping the good discussion going.

I'll work this from the bottom up.  Theologians have deduced that angels do not have reason because they have no need for it.  Man learns analogically through sense input.  For example, as a child, I learned that (1) my hand burned when I touched the stove; (2) the stove is hot; (3) therefore, I should be careful when interacting with hot things.  As we grow in knowledge, we began to connect dots in more complex and even abstract ideas.  We connect these dots through reason.  In contrast, angels do not need reason because they were infused with full knowledge at their creation.

Jesus saying that we will become like angels presupposes the premise that we are not like angels.  Further, if Christ promises us that we will become like angels, He would certainly promise elevation.  This seems to support that angels are at least spiritually higher.  Aside from that particular quote, I cannot recall any examples in Holy Scripture where angels appear less powerful than men.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This is a good thread, so I'll answer in the interest of keeping the good discussion going.

I'll work this from the bottom up.  Theologians have deduced that angels do not have reason because they have no need for it.  Man learns analogically through sense input.  For example, as a child, I learned that (1) my hand burned when I touched the stove; (2) the stove is hot; (3) therefore, I should be careful when interacting with hot things.  As we grow in knowledge, we began to connect dots in more complex and even abstract ideas.  We connect these dots through reason.  In contrast, angels do not need reason because they were infused with full knowledge at their creation.

Jesus saying that we will become like angels presupposes the premise that we are not like angels.  Further, if Christ promises us that we will become like angels, He would certainly promise elevation.  This seems to support that angels are at least spiritually higher.  Aside from that particular quote, I cannot recall any examples in Holy Scripture where angels appear less powerful than men.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just reading about this, but then why would the angels turn from God with preloaded knowledge?
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 1:04:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I was just reading about this, but then why would the angels turn from God with preloaded knowledge?
View Quote

Their knowledge may not be (probably is not) omniscient.

Pride.  It is the deadliest sin for a reason.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Humans need reason because we're animals. So through reason we can find God. Through reason we can enjoy God. Both in the sense we can prove God like Aquinas' first Mover or we can simply see God's creation by being near a beautiful river outside and enjoying nature.

But Angels were aware of God and his omniscience. I was driving and listening to a podcast explain it, and the Friar basically said maybe they just chose to rest in the natural joy God gave them. This guy agrees with you it's either pride or envy.

Angelic Knowledge and Choice (Aquinas 101)
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not terribly unlike men.  It's not a issue of the intellect, but one of the will.  That is why we believe that their fall is eternal (I'm sure some universalists would probably disagree with me, but I'll stick with St. Thomas Aquinas ).
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would speculate that it’s possible at one time the angels or at least some of them didn’t fully understand God or his power ( possibly still don’t). Satan did think that he could become God so it’s possible he didn’t have a full understanding of God. Or perhaps his pride made him extremely delusional. This should make us take pause and recognize how powerful the enemy is.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not terribly unlike men.  It's not a issue of the intellect, but one of the will.  That is why we believe that their fall is eternal (I'm sure some universalists would probably disagree with me, but I'll stick with St. Thomas Aquinas ).
View Quote

They’re disagreeing with the scripture.

Jude 1:6
And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Conversation of Constantine with Lucifer. Constantine
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:20:20 AM EDT
[#23]
rando anecdote i been poohhhhndering:

angels typically appear in dreams and not when you awake?  conversely, demons do the opposite?  thats kinda interesting if i am right
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

angels typically appear in dreams and not when you awake?  conversely, demons do the opposite?  thats kinda interesting if i am right
View Quote

Well that kinda dispels the guardian angel. The Irish had a prayer you could say every night and basically asked for the guardian angel's name so you could thank them directly.

The guardian angel concept is a rabbit hole in itself
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wouldn’t necessarily say this is the case. From my experience, it can and does happen the other way around.

On another note, just like many assume demons are the only entity that can and will “possess” an individual, angels and similar can as well. It’s not called possession in the case of Angels etc though, but the psychological mechanics are pretty much the same.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Except for St Gabriel at the Annunciation.... St Raphael journey with Tobias.... the angels that protected Lot..... etc..

ETA: Fr Ripperger (who is a Thomist & an experienced Exorcist, who runs an order of Exorcists) sts that you can speak mentally with uour Guardian Angel and others... but not demons. He says that they can not read your thoughts. But due to their vastly greater intelligence, they deduce things about someone, from actions, things you've said.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Except for St Gabriel at the Annunciation.... St Raphael journey with Tobias.... the angels that protected Lot..... etc..

ETA: Fr Ripperger (who is a Thomist & an experienced Exorcist, who runs an order of Exorcists) sts that you can speak mentally with uour Guardian Angel and others... but not demons. He says that they can not read your thoughts. But due to their vastly greater intelligence, they deduce things about someone, from actions, things you've said.
View Quote

I've heard a couple priests say that you should never talk "to" a demon, even to say no to something...that that interaction can become an invitation to possession. They said that when confronted with something demonic the safer action is to pray to God/Jesus/guardian angel(s) for protection.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've heard a couple priests say that you should never talk "to" a demon, even to say no to something...that that interaction can become an invitation to possession. They said that when confronted with something demonic the safer action is to pray to God/Jesus/guardian angel(s) for protection.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree to a point. But why would you then say, "Begon satan!" or "get behind me demon!".... I have also been told to say a Hail Mary due to their complete hate of the Woman Clothed with the Sun.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I agree to a point. But why would you then say, "Begon satan!" or "get behind me demon!".... I have also been told to say a Hail Mary due to their complete hate of the Woman Clothed with the Sun.
View Quote

According to the Vatican's leading exorcist, FATHER GABRIELE AMORTH, the Lord's Prayer, followed by any plea to the Blessed Mother (not necessarily the Hail Mary) are the most potent prayers.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

According to the Vatican's leading exorcist, FATHER GABRIELE AMORTH, the Lord's Prayer, followed by any plea to the Blessed Mother (not necessarily the Hail Mary) are the most potent prayers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was watching an interview and apparently demons really hate Latin
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I read Father Amorth's, Memories of An Exorcist, but I don't recall him bringing that up. I don't see how or why that would be the case. It's no different than any other language.

Who knows...?
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I knew an ex-priest turned philosopher. His personal theory on how we have freewill and a all knowing God was that time moving forward is being created at the same moment for us and God.

God knows every detail of every moment back since creation, since the future has not happened yet for us or God then there's nothing to know, hence freewill.

My thoughts to him on this were if God knew everything going back to creation then God could very accurately predict what's going to happen next at each moment. Almost like God knows what your going to do without mandating your actions.

A very interesting philosophical theory that's stuck with me for years.

Link Posted: 8/6/2021 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I read Father Amorth's, Memories of An Exorcist, but I don't recall him bringing that up. I don't see how or why that would be the case.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read Father Amorth's, Memories of An Exorcist, but I don't recall him bringing that up. I don't see how or why that would be the case.

I have no direct experience--and I like to keep that way--but there are many accounts that Latin does make a difference.  Jesse Romero, who wrote The Devil in the City of Angels, is one name that comes in mind.

It's no different than any other language.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Yes, it is. I don't see why this would be some odd statement.

I mean, Jesus primarily spoke Aramaic and Hebrew, the Apostles did the same but added Greek. The first Churches were in local languages, the first unified Church was led in Greek, etc.

Latin is the language of the Church for most of its history, and is still used for its theological statements today, but everyday business, its masses, etc. are in the vernaculars.

That's all I'm saying.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I have no direct experience--and I like to keep that way--but there are many accounts that Latin does make a difference.  Jesse Romero, who wrote The Devil in the City of Angels, is one name that comes in mind.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59617/iu_jpeg-2042221.JPG
View Quote

What was crazy to me is some of the church prayers to get demons out are from before Christ's time
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What was crazy to me is some of the church prayers to get demons out are from before Christ's time
View Quote

Really? Do you have any examples? This is interesting to me.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I read Father Amorth's, Memories of An Exorcist, but I don't recall him bringing that up. I don't see how or why that would be the case. It's no different than any other language.

Who knows...?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who knows...?

Exorcusts say 2 reasons. One, it's the language of the Church. Two,  it is purer than most languages since no one is swearing with now. That's their theory.

Eitherway, Hebrew/Greek/Latin are the Sacred Languages due to being the ones written on the Cross. That could be another reason.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 1:56:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wouldn't think to say that. Maybe that's just me.

I have also heard that the Hail Mary actually hurts the devil, so I'm on board with this.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He mentions it in this podcast I think....

If not still a good listen.

Interview with an Exorcist (Fr Vincent Lampert)
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I mean, Jesus primarily spoke Aramaic and Hebrew, the Apostles did the same but added Greek. The first Churches were in local languages, the first unified Church was led in Greek, etc.

Latin is the language of the Church for most of its history, and is still used for its theological statements today, but everyday business, its masses, etc. are in the vernaculars.

That's all I'm saying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's all I'm saying.

Why Latin is special deserves its own thread, but as it pertains to this topic:

"[Fr. Amorth] prefers to use Latin when he conducts exorcisms [...] because it is most effective in challenging the devil."

https://freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1842528/posts
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6YTz-B24FA
View Quote

Fr. Lampert is a good dude.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah he seems really down to earth and a solid guy for sure
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"After a hard day fighting demons. I went a d had a milk shake at Dairy Queen."

Link Posted: 8/6/2021 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Exorcusts say 2 reasons. One, it's the language of the Church. Two,  it is purer than most languages since no one is swearing with now. That's their theory.

Eitherway, Hebrew/Greek/Latin are the Sacred Languages due to being the ones written on the Cross. That could be another reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who knows...?

No direct experience with Latin, so can’t comment on that, but I know from direct experience Hebrew carries a much heavier weight in these things than English.

We were taught that the angels respond more directly to Hebrew than anything else owing to how old the language is and because to them it’s a more “universal” language. No idea of the validity of that, but owing to how much the Hebrew alphabet has been concentrated on, and the symbols associated with each individual letter, as well as how long it’s been used, it definitely has a distinct difference in effect.

Granted I understand your were discussing demons, Latin and exorcism , which I won’t comment on, but figured I’d throw that out there as a different perspective of what’s taught in relation to Angels in a similar manner.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

"[Fr. Amorth] prefers to use Latin when he conducts exorcisms [...] because it is most effective in challenging the devil."

View Quote

Well, I guess it must be the case then. Fr. Amorth definitely has the credentials to make a statement like that. Why this is the case I could not say, but if he, as someone who is in the trenches says it then I believe it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Well, I guess it must be the case then. Fr. Amorth definitely has the credentials to make a statement like that. Why this is the case I could not say, but if he, as someone who is in the trenches says it then I believe it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the interview I posted the Fr. mentions they authorized another prayer in 1998 but sometimes the old Latin one is still better. He uses both.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

In the interview I posted the Fr. mentions they authorized another prayer in 1998 but sometimes the old Latin one is still better. He uses both.
View Quote

I think this is the prayer you are thinking of. He specifically writes this one down in his book:

My Lord, you are all powerful, you are God, you are Father. We beg you through the intercession and help of the archangels Michael, Raphael and Gabriel, for the deliverance of our brothers and sisters who are enslaved by the evil one.

All saints of Heaven, come to our aid.

From anxiety, sadness and obsessions, we beg You. Free us, O Lord.

From hatred, fornication, envy, we beg You, Free us, O Lord.

From thoughts of jealousy, rage, and death, we beg You, Free us, O Lord.

From every thought of suicide and abortion, we beg You, Free us, O Lord.

From every form of sinful sexuality, we beg You, Free us, O Lord.

From every division in our family, and every harmful friendship, we beg You, Free us, O Lord.

From every sort of spell, malefic, witchcraft, and every form of the occult, we beg You, Free us, O Lord.

Lord, You Who said, “I leave you peace, My peace I give you,” grant that, through the intercession of the Virgin Mary, we may be liberated from every evil spell and enjoy your peace always. In the name of Christ, our Lord. Amen.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 1:18:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

General hypothesis includes that 1) Latin is the official language of the Roman Catholic Church and 2) Latin is one of the languages made sacred by being inscribed on the cross of Jesus.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top