Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2018 6:32:08 PM EDT
I have a family member who has allowed a woman with a baby to live with him for free for several years. He is going to move out of state and she will basically be kicked out on the street.

Even though it is not his baby, and they were not in a sexual relationship, I am afraid that she can probably go after him for child support. Am I correct?
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Uh no, if he’s not the father she’s SOL
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 6:37:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Lol
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Uh no
View Quote
I've seen non-adoptive stepdads on the hook for CS when the bio father couldn't be found.  If she can convince a SJW judge it was a common law marriage he might have to fight it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've seen non-adoptive stepdads on the hook for CS when the bio father couldn't be found.  If she can convince a SJW judge it was a common law marriage he might have to fight it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uh no
He’s not a step dad, married to her or even ina sexual relationship,not a chance in hell
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 6:48:49 PM EDT
[#6]
He’s not a step dad, married to her or even ina sexual relationship  
View Quote
You have me convinced, but possibly not the judge.

It wouldn't surprise me if it did happen.

Exactly how do you prove that you were not in a sexual relationship, anyway?
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#7]
common law marriage, possibly?
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Actually a sexual relationship would have no bearing, he is not responsible for anything with someone else’s child, it’s that simple.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, heres the deal...

I dated a chick for awhile after my divorce. We lasted 8 months or so. 2 years after we split, I get a letter in mail about child support.

She had a kid, filed for welfare benefits and listed me as the father. I called bullshit, as I had been snipped before we started dating.

It took 3 years of going through the courts to get it cleared up. I had to pay child support that entire time.

I filed a civil suit for the child support I had paid to her after the family court cleared me as the responsible person. I won, I have collected $1,200 of the $25k I sued for. She has since moved to Maine and I doubt I will see another penny.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 7:04:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You have me convinced, but possibly not the judge.

It wouldn't surprise me if it did happen.

Exactly how do you prove that you were not in a sexual relationship, anyway?
View Quote
Produce the rental agreement I’m sure he had her sign?
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Produce the rental agreement I’m sure he had her sign?
View Quote
What bearing would that have on whether or not a sexual relationship did or did not occur?

In all of the history of the world, has there never been an instance of a landlord having sex with a tenant, even if she was paying rent?
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a girl live with me for a while,  but it was a sexual thing.  We were not dating but we had an arrangement were I would get off work at 3am and she would “pay rent”.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I’m assuming that she would lie and tell the court that they were a couple.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Not in TX. Not in most states, because child support is either for biological children or adopted children. That doesn't happen through marriage, common law or otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Cool. Thank you guys.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a family member who has allowed a woman with a baby to live with him for free for several years. He is going to move out of state and she will basically be kicked out on the street.

Even though it is not his baby, and they were not in a sexual relationship, I am afraid that she can probably go after him for child support. Am I correct?
View Quote
Yes!
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
In some states it wouldn't surprise me. I know step parents have been hit because they took a role in the child's life and provided support. With him providing support via housing I could see some vindictive cunt trying to claim he owes support. Depending on how much they lie they might get some, at least until it goes through the courts.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well, heres the deal...

I dated a chick for awhile after my divorce. We lasted 8 months or so. 2 years after we split, I get a letter in mail about child support.

She had a kid, filed for welfare benefits and listed me as the father. I called bullshit, as I had been snipped before we started dating.

It took 3 years of going through the courts to get it cleared up. I had to pay child support that entire time.

I filed a civil suit for the child support I had paid to her after the family court cleared me as the responsible person. I won, I have collected $1,200 of the $25k I sued for. She has since moved to Maine and I doubt I will see another penny.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Is there already a legal dad or not?
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Probably should have a rental agreement
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Sadly in some states if you co habitate with a woman and child you have 'assumed' the role of a father and provider and yes you can potentially be liabel for financial support if you remove yourself from the role you accepted

1st hand info as i was a foreman on an electrician crew years ago and handed out paychecks to my guys so I could clearly see gross / net and all deductions on the stubs. One of the guys on my crew was paying child support on a kid that was not his biological kid and was simply the spawn of some chick he shacked up with for a short period of time.

This was WA state around mid 1990s so laws may have changed by now
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Not in TX. Not in most states, because child support is either for biological children or adopted children. That doesn't happen through marriage, common law or otherwise.
View Quote
This.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top