Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2018 9:57:56 PM EDT
So I have a 14.5" pin welded AR that I want to carry to VA when I go see my family this week.  Non NFA.  I do have a carry permit that is reciprocal in Virginia.  What would be the thing to with my rifle in this case for VA?  Does it need to be locked in a case in the back of my car? I can't seem to find anything to answer this specific question.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:28:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Virginia doesn't have any stupid regs about rifles, transport it normally. Carry permits don't apply.  Trunk is fine, you can't have a loaded rifle accessible inside the car.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:29:32 PM EDT
[#2]
That's because there's no special restrictions.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:56:13 PM EDT
[#3]
OP you need to be a US citizen or LPR and 18 or over.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Virginia doesn't have any stupid regs about rifles, transport it normally.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Virginia doesn't have any stupid regs about rifles, transport it normally.
Quoted:
That's because there's no special restrictions.
Va has the "Assault Weapon Law", which is about as stupid as anything.

§ 18.2-308.2:01. Possession or transportation of certain firearms by certain persons.

A. It shall be unlawful for any person who is not a citizen of the United States or who is not a person lawfully admitted for permanent residence to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport any assault firearm or to knowingly and intentionally carry about his person, hidden from common observation, an assault firearm.

B. It shall be unlawful for any person who is not a citizen of the United States and who is not lawfully present in the United States to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport any firearm or to knowingly and intentionally carry about his person, hidden from common observation, any firearm. A violation of this section shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony.

C. For purposes of this section, "assault firearm" means any semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter7/section18.2-308.2:01/
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Virginia doesn't have any stupid regs about rifles, transport it normally. Carry permits don't apply.  Trunk is fine, you can't have a loaded rifle accessible inside the car.
View Quote
First, not being able to have it inside the car with you is a stupid reg. Second, if the info above about the assault weapon law is correct, that would be another stupid reg about rifles.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:43:00 PM EDT
[#5]
So my cousin's husband is a Virginia  State Trooper - he just text me back that if I have the bolt out and the ammo/gun locked in a trunk (or in the back of my SUV), I should be fine.  I don't know how much he really knows for sure.  But that's what he just told me via text.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:53:33 PM EDT
[#6]
You don't need to take the damn bolt out.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Dont load the mags. Put it in the trunk, nothing else needs done. Or the rifle can be in the case in the car, and the ammo in the trunk. You only have to worry about a cop that has no clue. Taking the bolt out is a Military thing. Thats why some rifle cases have a bolt pouch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top