Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2021 1:40:02 PM EDT
BLUF - I did search and came up with nothing......

Specifics: I'm looking at buying a adjustable gas block for my MR 556 from a company in Germany.  They say they deliver to the US, but I'd like to get additional assurances if I can.  I called the ATF field office in Virginia and asked the question and was redirected to another number with an "expert" that could answer my question.  I was then redirected to the ATF Importation group, which did not answer their phone.  Messages were not returned.

Has anyone here ordered parts from overseas?  Any information is appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Some parts are restricted from import or require an importers license but a gas block is not one of them. It's actually quite routine to buy parts from overseas, mainly Europe. Don't believe me? Check out the Sig rifles subforum where afficianados regularly order Swiss parts and furniture from Europe.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a barrel from a German company back in 2003.  In 2005 the ATF sent me a letter stating I hadn’t filled out an import license and would need to surrender the barrel.  If i filled out the import paperwork and was approved, then they would give it back to me.

ATF guy was pretty cool and i asked what the big deal about the barrel was (it was for a Walther P22).  He said the company that was selling the parts was also selling suppressors to people w/o doing any of the NFA shit.  They reached out to the company and the company told them to pound sand.  They reached out to eBay and they told then to pound sand (this was 2005, as my guess is they would turn everyone in today).  They then reached out to PP who said”here ya go!” And handed over all the records they had.

I filled out the paperwork, mailed it in a 6 weeks later got my barrel back, at which point I sold the gun.

As was mentioned before, not sure what parts need it and what don’t, but barrels did require some extra paperwork in 2003-2005>
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info guys!  I finally got in touch with the ATF Importation branch.  They told me that I needed to complete a Form 6 part 1 for importation of the gas block.  There's no fee to complete the form, so I'm just going to do it to be safe, I don't want any issues with the Feds.  Considering that I spoke to 3 different ATF SA's and only one knew anything about the process, I have zero confidence that someone from Customs would report it and I'd be left to clean it up....
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Frames and barrels often have special conditions.
Going in or out.

ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) govern things going out.

BATFE (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives) covers things coming in.

It is a nightmare of rules.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
 They told me that I needed to complete a Form 6 part 1 for importation of the gas block.  
View Quote
I think that's on eForms. Go look, could save you a lot of time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top