Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2018 7:03:55 PM EDT
My son has a smart tv and I would like to block YouTube on it.  I want the rest of the devices in the house to have access to it.

I'm using two routers in the house, unsure on model numbers but I will get them.  One is for the wired connections and the other handles wireless and my theater room stuff (XBox One, 360, Denon receiver, etc).  His tv is on the wireless.

I'm experienced enough to cause trouble on my bbn own but I think I could make this work with a few pointers.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My son has a smart tv and I would like to block YouTube on it.  I want the rest of the devices in the house to have access to it.

I'm using two routers in the house, unsure on model numbers but I will get them.  One is for the wired connections and the other handles wireless and my theater room stuff (XBox One, 360, Denon receiver, etc).  His tv is on the wireless.

I'm experienced enough to cause trouble on my bbn own but I think I could make this work with a few pointers.

Thank you.
View Quote
It's going to depend on the capabilities of the routers.  The easiest answer would be to set one up just for him and block it at that router.  Then you don't have to worry about mixed block/pass rules.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#2]
That's actually a remarkably simple answer.  I like it.  It would also work in the future for any other device he may get.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's actually a remarkably simple answer.  I like it.  It would also work in the future for any other device he may get.

Thank you.
View Quote
For most things like that you could even double NAT it and put it behind one of your other routers.  It would keep you from having to have another external IP address.

Some reading material

Getting around Youtube blocks
Some out of date stuff about blocking it.

There are a lot of ways he could get around it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Setup a small DNS server (pi-hole), resolve YouTube.com to 127.0.0.1 and point the tv dns to the server.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Setup a small DNS server (pi-hole), resolve YouTube.com to 127.0.0.1 and point the tv dns to the server.
View Quote
Which works until they setup something like 8.8.8.8 or 4.2.2.1 on the device for dns or just go by ip address.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know how complete it is, but this site has a list of IP addresses they say belong to Youtube.  Blocking them would be a good start unless you get a more complete list.

https://www.lifewire.com/ip-address-of-youtube-818157
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess I should have mentioned my son is 7.  I dont see him doing any workarounds just yet.  Now, when hes 8....
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#8]
The circle is what you need, works great, and has logging.

https://www.amazon.com/Circle-Disney-Parental-Controls-Connected/dp/B019RC1EI8
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Which works until they setup something like 8.8.8.8 or 4.2.2.1 on the device for dns or just go by ip address.
View Quote
Just lock the settings in the tv
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:37:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A $50 EdgeRouter X and a DNAT rule will stop bypassing the Pi-hole from happening.  I actually have a config ready to go to for the ERX to do just that for a neighbor which points to Family Shield.  It also blocks YouTube, Live Leak, and a few others in the router but the Pi-hole is a better tool for doing that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top