Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2021 3:14:56 PM EDT
Long story short, when I was 5 years old I popped a lung and had to spend a month in an O2 tent.

I’m 41 now and my son wants to learn to drive. Growing up I was a hockey player and cyclist able to ride 60 miles a day.

I’ve been told because of my lung injury it’s not possible, or smart for me to dive.

Is that the case?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#1]
This is one of those cases of "Ask your doctor".

My better half had surgery on her ears a few years back, and she was allowed to recently certify. It just takes us longer to get to depth as she has to equalize her ears more often and it takes her a little bit longer to do so, but we have successfully been down to 100 feet.

I'm going to have to get cleared by a doc before I dive again - I broke my leg/ankle/foot pretty badly on new year's eve. Once I can walk again, I'm truly looking forwards to working to get back into the water.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Long story short, when I was 5 years old I popped a lung and had to spend a month in an O2 tent.

I’m 41 now and my son wants to learn to drive. Growing up I was a hockey player and cyclist able to ride 60 miles a day.

I’ve been told because of my lung injury it’s not possible, or smart for me to dive.

Is that the case?
View Quote

You would be best off calling DAN (Divers Alert Network) to ask for a referral to a doctor with experience treating divers. Depending on your area, there might not be someone available, but give it a whirl.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Call Doctor first.  No need to take a chance.  I dove in the late 70's great time. But diving is unforgiving
and can hurt you very badly. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m not planning on going in without a doctors sign-off.  I’ll checkout that DAN, thank you.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m not planning on going in without a doctors sign-off.  I’ll checkout that DAN, thank you.
View Quote

Get a referral from DAN. You want to make sure the doctor you see is well versed in hyperbarics.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#6]
When I was an active instructor, I certified a couple folks that had had pneumothorax problems.

The key was they were examined by the physician that treated them for the issue and gave them clearance to train and dive.

I doubt you are going to be able to do that, given the time span, but clearance by a pulmonologist, particularly one versed in bariatric medicine is absolutely essential.

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say you'll be given the green light unless you've done something stupid like smoke for the last 36 years.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 11:22:47 AM EDT
[#7]
The first thing you will have to do is sign a medical form, any questions or yes answers you will need a medical release from a doctor. Find one that is hopefully a diver themselves so they understand what you are doing and want to do.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top