Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2021 12:08:07 AM EDT
I am smack in the middle of 7 acres of cleared land. It’s basically a perfect rectangle (5x7ish). Of course WiFi won’t reach out to the corners. I’m not looking to be super cheap, but I don’t want to spend enough to buy a small car. What are my options? I’d like some alerting capability if possible.

I want to know someone is on the property before they approach the house.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:15:17 AM EDT
[#1]
WiFi with directional antenna will certainly reach.  Then you just need to worry about power.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:17:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Choke points
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:21:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
WiFi with directional antenna will certainly reach.  Then you just need to worry about power.
View Quote

This. I've used cheap sma connector yagis from chyna to get cameras connected from pretty far away. I picked up a couple for $12/each on ebay the other day. Simple and effective (if you have power)
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:22:15 AM EDT
[#4]
My cameras on my house can see a long ways.  I have chain link fence around my house with 7 dogs inside the fence, they alert me to everything.
Is your property fenced?  If not fence it and put a gate at the entrance with an intercom.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:23:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Likely going to have to solar power that as well.

Free bump
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:27:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Driveway alarms. I have 80 acres and no way to detect anywhere near that range but if I have a motion sensor go off I can pull up my camera system. I also have a wyze cam set to detect sound that I’ll get an alert for motion, smoke or CO2 if I’m not home.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:36:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Get to digging.

Poe cameras run in pipe.

Run power with when you dig, then you can set up a poe switch in a central location.

Then you can literally run anything wherever you want it. 24/7 recording. Set it and forget. Since you ran it in pipe if anything happens to a wire hell with it pull a new one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:42:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Get to digging.

Poe cameras run in pipe.

Run power with when you dig, then you can set up a poe switch in a central location.

Then you can literally run anything wherever you want it. 24/7 recording. Set it and forget. Since you ran it in pipe if anything happens to a wire hell with it pull a new one.
View Quote

That won't get you to the corners of the property, but may be close enough for a decent view for reasonable coverage.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:49:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That won't get you to the corners of the property, but may be close enough for a decent view for reasonable coverage.
View Quote

Ya I re read his post. I didnt see that he was already smack in the middle.

It all depends on where he can get power to.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:49:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Not a camera but a long range driveway alarm. You can set it up so you get the alert to which side of the property the motion was detected.
the first link is good for 400 feet but a line of sight might do better. the second is longer range but more expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Guardline-Wireless-Driveway-Resistant-Detector/dp/B00HFZUKGM/ref=sr_1_13?crid=2DI6AOSKUI7OO&dchild=1&keywords=driveway+alarm&qid=1611204236&sprefix=driveway%2Caps%2C201&sr=8-13

https://www.amazon.com/Guardline-Wireless-Driveway-Resistant-Detector/dp/B01M3QINCM/ref=sxin_10?ascsubtag=amzn1.osa.b92e8de6-d452-423a-ba66-7676f7acc395.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&creativeASIN=B01M3QINCM&crid=2DI6AOSKUI7OO&cv_ct_cx=driveway+alarm&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osa.b92e8de6-d452-423a-ba66-7676f7acc395.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_we=asin&cv_ct_wn=osp-single-source-earns-comm&dchild=1&keywords=driveway+alarm&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B01M3QINCM&pd_rd_r=05801647-9fe1-45b0-86e4-726f1e400ea9&pd_rd_w=HRVqe&pd_rd_wg=XEYrO&pf_rd_p=f3b5998c-f375-43c3-8b6f-7e234416634e&pf_rd_r=Z7DWMM7V6TF100M43ND7&qid=1611204142&sprefix=driveway%2Caps%2C201&sr=1-1-64f3a41a-73ca-403a-923c-8152c45485fe&tag=one37pmb-20

A camera with a 50 mm zoom mounted on the house would easily let you see movement at several hundred feet. like the one below. You could also get a more old school cmount type camera and put a even higher zoom lens on it.

https://www.amazon.com/USG-2048%C3%971536-Bullet-Security-Camera/dp/B00TJKFRQ4/ref=sr_1_2?c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Bullet+Surveillance+Cameras&qid=1611204344&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A2892165011&s=photo&sr=1-2&ts_id=14241331

100 mm c mount lens, pic the camera you like

https://www.amazon.com/Vanxse-Auto-iris-Varifocal-Cs-Mount-Security/dp/B082XNJ473/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Surveillance+Cameras+100mm&qid=1611204685&sr=8-4
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:52:27 AM EDT
[#11]
My Zumimall outdoor cameras work great. Depending on activity, I have to charge them every two months or so.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#12]
With a directional WiFi extender, do I need one for each corner?  The solar cameras look promising, I just need a signal. We are looking at 300-400 feet to each corner.

Maybe solar game cameras?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:23:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
With a directional WiFi extender, do I need one for each corner?  The solar cameras look promising, I just need a signal. We are looking at 300-400 feet to each corner.

View Quote
Move your router around some before buying stuff. Walk out there with a phone or laptop and see if you can connect.

Even a decade ago, a router in a stick house could reach half a block.  From your description you are leaving lots of range at the table by not examining the router first.

What router is it?  Start with that.  

Where in the house is it?  What is the house made of?

Moving the router up to the attic or top floor (or even on top of a bookshelf or something) may get you a lot of range.

400 feet is nothing for a router with clear line of sight. It's the house, trees, garage, and terrain that will shorten the signal.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:28:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Cuddeback?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:42:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think solar game cameras that can upload to the cloud is a good idea.  Maybe even battery-powered if you're willing to hop on your ATV and change them every month or so (depending on how many times they are activated, of course.)
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#16]
In Florida?

Moat + alligators, with secure drawbridge
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:51:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get to digging.

Poe cameras run in pipe.

They make POE extenders that get you another 350’. They require no power, fit in a single-gang box and cost about $100 for the axis ones. That will definitely get you to the corners hard-wired.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In Florida?

Moat + alligators, with secure drawbridge
View Quote

Well that would sure be awesome.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:55:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have Covert game cameras, I hooked each of them to little $25  Amazon solar panels. They are all still on the original batteries taking from 50-300 pictures a day everyday for 2+ years.

The three cameras cost $60/quarter subscription(over the price of the camera).
I have each take a photo every 30 minutes at staggard times so about every 10 minutes I get a photo from one of them to catch things the motion sensors don't. The cameras cover each other.
I didn't need them looking at every corner of my land. It's fenced and gated. I just wanted them watching the house and drive so illegals or methheads or whatever didn't move in.

These photos get sent to my phone, you can get email alerts but that would get super annoying from all the false shit game cams trigger on. I just check the app daily and review all the photos.

Now that I live here it isn't as important. I'm on a hill and can see pretty much all my land including my gate at the end of my driveway.

I did this setup originally because I lived 1000 miles away and there was no power or Internet here. This was the simplest solution, it worked flawlessly for over 2 years and is still working.

****It isn't something I would do for a place I currently lived that had electricity and a way to get wifi, internet etc. The cameras were about $360 each with housings a solar panel setups plus the, $20/month subscription.
For that price there has to be a better wireless setup.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Aerostat
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:10:04 AM EDT
[#22]
7 acres is a lot of land to cover.  Don't count on being able to ID anyone unless you go full retard with the number of cameras.  If you just want to detect someone on the property there are probably better options than security cameras.  At least I hope there are because security cameras aren't nearly as good as people think they are.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:10:04 AM EDT
[#23]
What you need to build at each point you want cameras

Ubiquiti Nanostation powered by a solar panel and battery(s)

the camera can POE off the nanostation I believe.

Mount this set up to the amount of polls you need and the corresponding receiving nanostation all feeding into a router in your home.

Not cheap, but the best option I think

Attachment Attached File

ETA:
Over kill for 7 acres, I read 70 for some reason....

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:13:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Chinese satellite
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:24:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get to digging.

Poe cameras run in pipe.

It can, you just need to add inline POE repeaters

If the property is square, the house will be 390’ from the corners. With a single repeater, you are able to go 656’, without 328’, although better to be conservative

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top