Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/7/2018 8:55:17 PM EDT
Hello Everyone,

Just moved to California, lame, only for a few years. Ive done my research for carrying weapons for defense however I am curious about a sheathed fixed blade carried horizontally on the waist. The laws are not clear in this regard. A folder over 3.5 inches illegal and in lieu of my sidearm I'd like to have some penetrating capabilities without drawing attention and remain legal. Anyone have any experience or input on this?

* EDIT * 3.5" laws are not state level I cant even find the locality I read it in, maybe Contra Costa county not sure.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#1]
lived here my whole life. I was under the understanding any folder was GTG but all fixed blades had to be OC'ed. no switchblades or butterfly knives. and no daggers.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Legally speaking - I don't know, and I am sorry I can't give a citation to a specific law that will clear this up.

Practically speaking - The difference between a fixed blade and a folder of equivilent blade shape/size is more about ease of presentation, not effectivness.  A modern, good quality folder is more than solid enough to use to end a violent attack.  In a self defense situation slashes against the attacker's arms & legs will stop their ability to attack you faster than a stab.  Stab wounds tend to be more lethal eventually, but a slash on an arm that damages a nerve and prevents the attacker from holding a weapon will end the attack faster.  From that point it is a matter of which is faster to deploy - a folder or fixed blade.

I realize that none of this answers your question, but it may give you something to consider when training and deciding what to carry.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Very good point.  That makes complete sense.  Well my folders are all super sharp, I don't have active knife training.  Some very limited blade defense martial arts in the past but nothing much.
I have to give credit to Murray Carter and his youtube videos and King wet stones for my razors.  I strongly suggest everyone check him out.  I will make a post with some pics and links.  Very knowledgeable and scientific knife maker, the best IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#4]
And make sure you also review case law.

There are often a lot of 'details' buried there.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#5]
So I was talking to an Orange County Sheriff a couple years back at a gunshow when I bought an AK bayonet...
He stated that to the best of his knowledge there was no limit to the size of a knife(obviously not a sword or something) as long as it was carried openly and no attempt was made to conceal it. So I could carry a 5-6" bayonet as long as it was affixed outside my belt. Hope this helps some.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top