BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 30
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I bet this goes back to San Francisco in 1906.

Which does bring up an interesting point.  Cities don't burn anymore.  Think of the Chicago Fire besides SF, there are several "Great London Fires".  I know there are others through history.  We as a society have lost touch with the threat of fire turning into a conflagration consuming a city and killing thousands, unless there is an air force involved   These wild fires seem a new thing, but they are an old thing, just happening in major media markets (Wolsey) or close enough to smell in SF (Camp).
View Quote
Oakland Hills fire comes to mind.  A lot of homes were destroyed.  In San Franciscograd there is no shortage of those nasty eucalyptus trees.  Rich in oil, they burn hot and fast.  A proposal to tear down the eucalyptus around Mt. Davidson (Dirty Harry's Cross) was rejected by neighborhood activists (idjits) who rejected their removal in favor of more indigenous trees (I like redwood).   Around 7th Ave where Laguna Honda Hospital and near UCSF has a lot of those nasty weed of trees.

Back on point, if there is a fire on Mt. Davidson, all those homes will go with them.  Ditto with Glen Park, the area around 7th Ave and UCSF.  Buh bye a lot of homes.  Combine that with an earthquake and it's good bye San Franciscograd.  Now, throw in all those landfilled areas and resulting liquefaction and it's buh bye to many of the homes in the Marina as well as new buildings in the SOMA including the famous Leaning Tower of San Franciscograd.

Yep, an earthquake and fire can level the place just like it did so many times before (which is why the city has as its emblem a phoenix rising from the fire).
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#2]
the tree huggers on my FB have been lighting up trump over his rake the leaves comment AKA fuel reduction
the tree huggers seem to think that climate change was a major contributing factor and raking the leaves is a comical joke
we used to think it was amazing how fast people would forget the lessons learned from large fires, the trump derangement syndrome is so strong they cant even learn the real lesson from this

thank god I have less than a week here
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 5:55:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
the tree huggers on my FB have been lighting up trump over his rake the leaves comment AKA fuel reduction
the tree huggers seem to think that climate change was a major contributing factor and raking the leaves is a comical joke
we used to think it was amazing how fast people would forget the lessons learned from large fires, the trump derangement syndrome is so strong they cant even learn the real lesson from this

thank god I have less than a week here
View Quote
Paradise was full of poor white people so yeah the "Tree Huggers" aka Democrats don't give a fuck. They probably think all those dead/missing is a good thing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:01:10 PM EDT
[#5]
PG&E transmission line eyed in Camp Fire had collapsed during 2012 storm

PULGA — In December 2012, a fierce winter storm toppled five steel towers that support the same PG&E transmission line that malfunctioned minutes before the Camp Fire roared to life.

Now, six years later, the 115,000-volt Caribou-Palermo transmission line near Poe Dam and the tiny resort town of Pulga is again under the microscope. PG&E reported damage to it around 6:15 a.m. Nov. 8, about 15 minutes before flames were first reported under the high-tension wires, according to a regulatory filing and firefighter radio traffic. Another transmission line in nearby Concow also malfunctioned a half hour later, possible sparking a second fire.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:05:21 PM EDT
[#6]
California Governor Jerry Brown Quietly Admits Donald Trump is Right – Proposed Easing Logging Regulations…

Under Brown’s proposal, private landowners would be able to cut trees up to 36 inches in diameter — up from the current 26 inches — on property 300 acres or less without getting a timber harvest permit from the state, as long as their purpose was to thin forests to reduce fire risk. They also would be able to build roads of up to 600 feet long without getting a permit, as long as they repaired and replanted them.

Timber industry officials say the changes are needed to cut red tape and increase incentives for landowners, particularly in the Sierra Nevada, to thin pine and fir forests that have become dangerously overgrown after 100 years of fire fighting.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:05:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
PG&E transmission line eyed in Camp Fire had collapsed during 2012 storm

PULGA — In December 2012, a fierce winter storm toppled five steel towers that support the same PG&E transmission line that malfunctioned minutes before the Camp Fire roared to life.

Now, six years later, the 115,000-volt Caribou-Palermo transmission line near Poe Dam and the tiny resort town of Pulga is again under the microscope. PG&E reported damage to it around 6:15 a.m. Nov. 8, about 15 minutes before flames were first reported under the high-tension wires, according to a regulatory filing and firefighter radio traffic. Another transmission line in nearby Concow also malfunctioned a half hour later, possible sparking a second fire.
View Quote
My surprised face->
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:14:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#9]
California wildfire helicopter rescue
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 1:23:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Watching those hero's do their work gives me great hope for this country.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Demobilized yesterday.   Made it home and got a solid (warm) nights sleep.

It's an odd feeling going from that fire to normalcy.

Back to work tomorrow.  Cant wait until my next stretch of days off to get some rest and decompression.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Back to work tomorrow.  Cant wait until my next stretch of days off to get some rest and decompression.
View Quote
Thanks for the help. Glad your home safe.
Calfire shows it at 151,373 acres and 70% containment as of now, although they have been slower than normal for updates on this fire.

KCRA 3 shows some rain coming tomorrow and Thursday I hope that helps some. Not as smokey today as it has been where I live, hope that's a good sign.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks for the help. Glad your home safe.
Calfire shows it at 151,373 acres and 70% containment as of now, although they have been slower than normal for updates on this fire.

KCRA 3 shows some rain coming tomorrow and Thursday I hope that helps some. Not as smokey today as it has been where I live, hope that's a good sign.
View Quote
From what I have heard.  The give low numbers for containment.   Probably closer to 80%
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Glad you made it home. Get some rest, you have earned it. Looking like early-mid December before I see texas again.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 4:55:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Drone flying to close to helicopter S-64F, Woolsey Fire
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Glad you made it home. Get some rest, you have earned it. Looking like early-mid December before I see texas again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought you were going to be in CA for a year.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Oakland Hills fire comes to mind.  A lot of homes were destroyed.  In San Franciscograd there is no shortage of those nasty eucalyptus trees.  Rich in oil, they burn hot and fast.  A proposal to tear down the eucalyptus around Mt. Davidson (Dirty Harry's Cross) was rejected by neighborhood activists (idjits) who rejected their removal in favor of more indigenous trees (I like redwood).   Around 7th Ave where Laguna Honda Hospital and near UCSF has a lot of those nasty weed of trees.

Back on point, if there is a fire on Mt. Davidson, all those homes will go with them.  Ditto with Glen Park, the area around 7th Ave and UCSF.  Buh bye a lot of homes.  Combine that with an earthquake and it's good bye San Franciscograd.  Now, throw in all those landfilled areas and resulting liquefaction and it's buh bye to many of the homes in the Marina as well as new buildings in the SOMA including the famous Leaning Tower of San Franciscograd.

Yep, an earthquake and fire can level the place just like it did so many times before (which is why the city has as its emblem a phoenix rising from the fire).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet this goes back to San Francisco in 1906.

Which does bring up an interesting point.  Cities don't burn anymore.  Think of the Chicago Fire besides SF, there are several "Great London Fires".  I know there are others through history.  We as a society have lost touch with the threat of fire turning into a conflagration consuming a city and killing thousands, unless there is an air force involved   These wild fires seem a new thing, but they are an old thing, just happening in major media markets (Wolsey) or close enough to smell in SF (Camp).

I assume they still have their fireboat by that name too?

Who's whole purpose is to pump the bay through hoses onto the next fire?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 5:15:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
String em up.

We werent given clear directives about looters.   But I was manning the pulaski.  Figured I could works something out.??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
String em up.

We werent given clear directives about looters.   But I was manning the pulaski.  Figured I could works something out.??
In case you ever wondered who Pulaski was?

ETA:  I don'r agree with the bullshit dont fight fire stuff PBS is pushing as the conclusion

This video is only 50 minutes, video has it twice..  Or you can skip to 49:50for the answer
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 5:23:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Stern Grove also has a fuck ton of eucalyptus trees. That is a tinderbox waiting to go up.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Stern Grove also has a fuck ton of eucalyptus trees. That is a tinderbox waiting to go up.
View Quote
Sounds like they could use an army of these little guys.

Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
This job may go on that long, but I have some opportunities in my preferred field of safety that will kick off in January( offshore work)
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This job may go on that long, but I have some opportunities in my preferred field of safety that will kick off in January( offshore work)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha, best of luck.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
If memory serves, the SF fireboat is The Phoenix.
ETA: There's 2, also The Guardian
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I looked it up, they now have three, Phoenix, Guardian, and a brand new one from 2016 St. Francis
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Gotcha, best of luck.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote
There's already plenty of chlamydia in California
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 11:00:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:49:28 AM EDT
[#30]
We adopted my daughter and she had foster parents of sorts. They kinda became her godparents. We just found out he lost his elderly sister in the fire. She was just identified found in her home. We will see them in a week or two when they bring Christmas presents for my daughter.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:50:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We adopted my daughter and she had foster parents of sorts. They kinda became her godparents. We just found out he lost his elderly sister in the fire. She was just identified found in her home. We will see them in a week or two when they bring Christmas presents for my daughter.
View Quote
Sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:59:50 AM EDT
[#32]
The amount of fluctuation in the reported missing is surprising.

I guess it is just another indication of the amount of havoc and confusion created by this fire. What a terrible tragedy.

The good news is it seems the missing numbers are dropping much faster than the casualty numbers are rising. I pray that continues.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#33]
'Camp' Fire UPDATE 20 Nov. 2018 Drive Through Devastated Paradise, Ca.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Damn...the number of morts and missing boggles the mind.

I heard this morning that the Kommiefornia Legislature is ramming a bill through today that negates the utility company's liability in wildfires they start and allows them to pass their costs incurred from lawsuits through to their customers.

Go figger...
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 9:23:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I heard this morning that the Kommiefornia Legislature is ramming a bill through today that negates the utility company's liability in wildfires they start and allows them to pass their costs incurred from lawsuits through to their customers.

Go figger...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go figger...
wow, what bs but I would expect nothing less from commiefornia
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
wow, what bs but I would expect nothing less from commiefornia
View Quote
The local news repeats about every 30 minutes and I made sure to listen the second time to verify what I thought I'd heard the first time.

I was floored.

We fucked up and are responsible for 81+ morts and a couple billion in damages...so lets make the customers pay for our negligence.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Lobbyists gonna get richer than Bim Gum, huh?
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Typical Republicans!!  Taking care of big business at the expense of the little guy.   Democrats would never let that happen.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#42]
‘Wallywood’ camp grows in Walmart lot in Chico. Walmart asks them to go

CHICO

Wallywood is taking on a life of its own, but not if Walmart can stop it.

Tuesday evening, hundreds of fire survivors began to bed down for another cold night in the parking lot of the Walmart in Chico, where a community of Camp Fire evacuees has set up an unofficial and unorganized shanty town. It has become known as Wallywood, a mash-up of the store’s name and a sardonic nod to the opulence of Hollywood, the polar opposite of the poverty and loss of those who fled the Camp Fire in Paradise and now find themselves homeless.

With few resources and nowhere to go, these evacuees are being asked to move again. Not long after dark, Walmart employees began to post signs “respectfully” asking campers to leave.

“We continue to be concerned about the health, safety and well-being of the individuals remaining on our property and have been working cooperatively with city, county and state officials and local non-profits to increase capacity at local shelters and help create good temporary housing options,” Walmart spokeswoman Delia Garcia told The Sacramento Bee, adding that the company has donated more than $500,000 to relief organizations. “The weather forecast from the National Weather Service showing rain beginning tonight and continuing through Friday has heightened our existing concerns and increased the urgency to find a more sustainable solution. We are asking the remaining individuals to evacuate the property and transition to more appropriate shelter.”

Butte County officials are also pushing people to move from the lot and head to sanctioned shelters — with hot showers, food and beds — including one just-opened facility in the town of Gridley, about 28 miles away. County volunteers wandered through the jumble of commandeered shopping carts, folding tables and piles of donations over the weekend, offering rides and gas cards to those who would go.

The survivors aren’t leaving.

Multiple evacuees interviewed by The Sacramento Bee Tuesday before the Walmart notice was posted said they wanted to stay close to Paradise in the hopes that evacuation orders would soon be lifted. Others said they feared getting sick in shelters, or simply didn’t want to abandon this patch of familiarity for yet another strange place.

“We’re not leaving because this is the area that we know everything,” said Jim Sampson, from a tent that he is sharing with his friend Brenda Wilson, his Harley Davidson motorcycle painted with flames parked behind it.

Wilson fled her home in Magalia Nov. 8 when she heard propane tanks exploding, she said. She and Sampson have been camping here with their dog, Scooby Doo, for more than a week.

Without a reliable car, they don’t want to move to the county-sanctioned shelter in Gridley because it is too far away from Wilson’s sons in Chico, and it would be too hard to get back to their house, if it still stands, when the evacuation order is lifted, she said.

Linda Baker, who evacuated from her home in Stirling City, said she and her husband first went to a pop-up shelter at the Pleasant Valley Baptist Church in Chico, but decided to camp outside despite the bone-chilling temperatures because norovirus hit the house of worship. Norovirus has been reported at three shelter facilities, and quarantine tents have been set up at one site.

“People were puking and we didn’t want to get sick and take the space of anyone that needed it, so we chose to set the tent up and sleep outside,” she said.

Baker said it has gotten so frigid after dark that the condensation from their breath has collected at the top of the tent, dripped down on their pillows and frozen. She huddled next to her husband, Todd, in a sleeping bag to keep warm, she said.

When the church temporarily shut down its shelter operations over the weekend and volunteers told them to go to Gridley, they ended up at Walmart.

“I’ve never been to Gridley and I don’t know anyone there,” Baker said. “I didn’t want to get stranded in Gridley”

Link
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks to all involved First Responders.

It's raining today in San Franciscograd.  The air is cleaner!
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't know if SFFD still has its fireboat, the Phoenix.  It did when I lived here but I haven't been down to the wharf because of the bad air.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Just adds flavor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fire cannot burn Texas.
Just adds flavor.
I think that's how brisket was created.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:46:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:48:44 PM EDT
[#49]
On a lighter note, Weather condition screenshot.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:49:39 PM EDT
[#50]
State Lawmakers Consider Bill to Exempt PG&E from Liability for Camp Fire
Page / 30
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top