Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/11/2021 3:30:47 PM EDT
Getting ready to put a Banks turbo on this truck. I have had this truck for 11 years and have dreamed about a turbo on it and now is the time. Will add pics when I get the project going.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:40:53 PM EDT
[#1]
How do I get this picture rotated correctly?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 4:07:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Square body Blazer? Cool

CUCV? Even cooler.

With a Banks turbo?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice!!! I currently have 3 m1009s.  I’ve owned 11 so far
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Had a regular old K5 with a 6.2 and 700r4.

I hated all the break downs but that sucker never, ever, once got stuck.  Not in the mud at the river, not in the snow in the mountains, not in the sand at the beach.

I pulled Chevys, Fords and Dodge 4WD trucks and SUVs out of the holes they dug, but it never got stuck.

Can be fun out in the woods with that short turning radius and traction with the right tires.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice!  I've always wanted one.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#9]
This truck has zero rust and only very small dents and low 40 k miles, motor runs super smooth. I have new rubber mat with jutting and sound deadner mat to put in also.
It is one of the cleanest I could find when I bought it 11 years ago. I also have a super clean 1028 with a 4" lift and 2 years ago I put a new complete Banks kit on it.
I have been selling guns and ammo like a madman and taking some advantage of being a boomer who bought low and sold High to fund them getting new improvements.
I will probably be posting more guns for sale to fund some more stuff on my 06 GTO that I put a Maggie TVS 2300 a couple of summers ago. I love Boost!

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
very jealous..I owned a 76 high sierra classic. spied this today at the local timmy's. she is good from afar but far from good.
let us know what the seat of your pants dyno says.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135/20210211_113535_1_-1820556.jpg
View Quote

Rust sucks, we started putting salt on the roads here in SE Idaho a few years back and my fun trucks and cars never see it. I use fluid film on my daily driver and it shows no signs of rust.
My 1028 with the lift and 36" swampers was a completly different truck after the turbo.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Had a regular old K5 with a 6.2 and 700r4.

I hated all the break downs but that sucker never, ever, once got stuck.  Not in the mud at the river, not in the snow in the mountains, not in the sand at the beach.

I pulled Chevys, Fords and Dodge 4WD trucks and SUVs out of the holes they dug, but it never got stuck.

Can be fun out in the woods with that short turning radius and traction with the right tires.
View Quote

I have been pretty easy on this truck other than snow bashing and Idaho back roads but it is a damn fine rig in that way and I would assume that the turbo will only add to the fun.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Thats a pretty cherry cucv. I had a m1009 that I put an ATS turbo kit. At 12 psi it really ran good.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:13:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice!

How much power should it have when you're done?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nice!

View Quote

Only about 200ish HP and about 400ish torque.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Getting ready to put a Banks turbo on this truck. I have had this truck for 11 years and have dreamed about a turbo on it and now is the time. Will add pics when I get the project going.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19658/2D1664F1-852B-49C4-BD2D-721202027677-1820391.jpg
View Quote

If it’s an early 6.2 you can shorten the life considerably.
I have a 6.2 in mine with a rebuilt pump and new rings I want sell and replace with a 5.3.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's my old '84 cucv

And the old school ATS turbo kit
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

Not to shabby, I had a 6.2 power truck years ago and lusted after a banks kit.

I went 406 instead
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I hope that all of you that own a CUCV have either left the chain attached to the steering column or have since replaced all of the locks and ignition switch. Some old vet like me that still has a CUCV key can hop in and take off if you have not changed those out. All CUCV's were keyed the same.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a M1009 with a Banks turbo in it. Fun rig. Never driven one without a turbo so I can't compare but I never needed more power.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#21]
OP, one deep snow story that happened to me twice.

First time-mother-in-law still lived on top of a mountain in SE WV.  Went home one weekend only to find she had been unable to get anyone to plow her drive way because the snow and snow drifts were so deep too many people needed roads/driveways plowed.  She was parking down aways from the house and walking through that deep snow.

On Saturday I decided I'd fix that.  I fired it up (I'd gotten up to the house Friday night and plugged the block heater in so it would start easy the next morning), warmed it up and drove down the driveway.  Turned around in the road and pulled into the driveway and started going back and forth to pack down the snow.  I figured if we couldn't get it plowed we could at least pack down the drifts so she could drive her little SUV on top of the packed snow.

My K5 had a 1.5" lift, 31X10.50X15's on it.  You know how high up on the right side of the radiator support the intake hose is for the air filter?  Right beside the top of the battery on the right side.

I made multiple passes up and down, busting the snow drifts from left to right and back and forth till suddenly the diesel started choking.  Lost power, white smoke, it would idle (roughly) and if I put my foot on the pedal it would just die and I'd have to restart it.  Got out, popped the hood, pulled the 4 wing nuts off the top of the air filter housing and the air filter was iced over.  Ice, coating the outside of the air filter.  No wonder it wouldn't run.  I took the air filter in the house, laid it on the hearth by the fire place and went back out to the K5.  Fired it up, idled rough, smoked and then smoother out and revved up like normal.  I put the cover back on the air filter housing, got back in it and finished busting the snow drifts.

Let the air filter dry out by the fire place and then reinstalled it and had no issues.

2nd time - couple years later I decided (stupidly, most likelly) to head into the back roads after a heavy snow storm.  Found myself busting snow drifts again.  Had some fun and found myself near the hard road so I looked both ways, traffic was clear and I pulled onto the hard road to head to town.  About the time it hit 3rd gear it lost power, a look in the rearview mirror showed I blowing white smoke out the back so I pulled over in the snow along the road side.  Idling rough, white smoke, stepped on the pedal and it just died.  Yup, no doubt in my mind what it was.  I shut it off, opened the hood and removed the air filter housing cover and found that the filter was coated in ice again.  Put the cover back on, laid the filter on the floor and turned the heat on high directed to the floor and drove to town for a pepsi and a gun book at Krogers.  By the time I got there the filter was dry and I put it back in and drove home with no issues.

You know how far off the ground that engine air intact duct is with a 1.5" lift and those tires?  That intake duct was high up on my chest (6'3" tall) with my feet flat on the ground.  And that sucker would push through snow deep enough to suck snow into the intake duct.

Like I said, I never got stuck in it.  I could go to the beach and never let the air out of the tires.  Forty five, fifty psi in those tires and it would drop gears, the engine rpm would go up and it would just eat up the sand going down the beach.  You can hear that diesel hammering in that deep sand, but it didn't get stuck.

Have fun with it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I hope that all of you that own a CUCV have either left the chain attached to the steering column or have since replaced all of the locks and ignition switch. Some old vet like me that still has a CUCV key can hop in and take off if you have not changed those out. All CUCV's were keyed the same.
View Quote

Most of us that have these should know this by now its been on steel soldiers since the forum started. I joined the army the same time these came out and even drove some of them when they were brand new. I re keyed both the 1028 and 1009 in the first week including doors and on the blazer the rear tailgate. I hope others have also.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thats a pretty cherry cucv. I had a m1009 that I put an ATS turbo kit. At 12 psi it really ran good.
View Quote

I used to snowmobile with the owner of ATS years ago and he always had a truck with one of his products on it, they were mostly fords but he had ones with 6.2s a few times they ran great.
I also have several friends that had or still have banks powered trucks and I dont recall any problem even well past 200k miles. I had a friend that passed away recently that had a suburban that he bought brand new at the Chevrolet dealership in Jackson Hole Wyo in 89 or 90 that installed the Banks kit brand new on the truck before he even picked it up, he drove that think with his family back and forth to Salt Lake and Denver more trips than I can count with many trouble free miles the kits and motors work great together and banks and ats knew what the motor can take. I also used to snowmoble with a guy who worked at banks at the time these were developed I talked to him after I installed the one on my 1028 and he said you will love it and the truck will go for many miles with it. They key to there survival is keep the boost below there recommended lbs and watch your egts. One of the keys to there longevity is checking and replacing the harmonic dampner and I early on installed fluid dampners on both of mine early on.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OP, one deep snow story that happened to me twice.

First time-mother-in-law still lived on top of a mountain in SE WV.  Went home one weekend only to find she had been unable to get anyone to plow her drive way because the snow and snow drifts were so deep too many people needed roads/driveways plowed.  She was parking down aways from the house and walking through that deep snow.

On Saturday I decided I'd fix that.  I fired it up (I'd gotten up to the house Friday night and plugged the block heater in so it would start easy the next morning), warmed it up and drove down the driveway.  Turned around in the road and pulled into the driveway and started going back and forth to pack down the snow.  I figured if we couldn't get it plowed we could at least pack down the drifts so she could drive her little SUV on top of the packed snow.

My K5 had a 1.5" lift, 31X10.50X15's on it.  You know how high up on the right side of the radiator support the intake hose is for the air filter?  Right beside the top of the battery on the right side.

I made multiple passes up and down, busting the snow drifts from left to right and back and forth till suddenly the diesel started choking.  Lost power, white smoke, it would idle (roughly) and if I put my foot on the pedal it would just die and I'd have to restart it.  Got out, popped the hood, pulled the 4 wing nuts off the top of the air filter housing and the air filter was iced over.  Ice, coating the outside of the air filter.  No wonder it wouldn't run.  I took the air filter in the house, laid it on the hearth by the fire place and went back out to the K5.  Fired it up, idled rough, smoked and then smoother out and revved up like normal.  I put the cover back on the air filter housing, got back in it and finished busting the snow drifts.

Let the air filter dry out by the fire place and then reinstalled it and had no issues.

2nd time - couple years later I decided (stupidly, most likelly) to head into the back roads after a heavy snow storm.  Found myself busting snow drifts again.  Had some fun and found myself near the hard road so I looked both ways, traffic was clear and I pulled onto the hard road to head to town.  About the time it hit 3rd gear it lost power, a look in the rearview mirror showed I blowing white smoke out the back so I pulled over in the snow along the road side.  Idling rough, white smoke, stepped on the pedal and it just died.  Yup, no doubt in my mind what it was.  I shut it off, opened the hood and removed the air filter housing cover and found that the filter was coated in ice again.  Put the cover back on, laid the filter on the floor and turned the heat on high directed to the floor and drove to town for a pepsi and a gun book at Krogers.  By the time I got there the filter was dry and I put it back in and drove home with no issues.

You know how far off the ground that engine air intact duct is with a 1.5" lift and those tires?  That intake duct was high up on my chest (6'3" tall) with my feet flat on the ground.  And that sucker would push through snow deep enough to suck snow into the intake duct.

Like I said, I never got stuck in it.  I could go to the beach and never let the air out of the tires.  Forty five, fifty psi in those tires and it would drop gears, the engine rpm would go up and it would just eat up the sand going down the beach.  You can hear that diesel hammering in that deep sand, but it didn't get stuck.

Have fun with it.
View Quote

That sounds like a blast.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#26]
One of my biggest vehicle regrets was not buying a CUCV truck when they were clean cheap and available everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice paint job OP- looks good!

I've had mine since 2012 and it gets used a lot- daily driver actually.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 12:26:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Nice paint job OP- looks good!

I've had mine since 2012 and it gets used a lot- daily driver actually.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/171243/WithStarlifter_png-1822539.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/171243/WithHMMWV_jpg-1822540.JPG
View Quote

Thats an awesome truck and I bet make a damn nice daily. I am certainly going to be driving my 1009 a lot more soon.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Have a 1986 M1028A2 myself with 11,000mi that I'm getting ready to lift. I briefly thought about turboing the 6.2 but I think a gas 6.0 ls based motor is in its future.  Damn near drop in at this point with twice the power bone stock.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Rust sucks, we started putting salt on the roads here in SE Idaho a few years back and my fun trucks and cars never see it. I use fluid film on my daily driver and it shows no signs of rust.
View Quote

I use that all over my 8 plow/salt spreader trucks, it's a game changer in the fight against rust.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I use that all over my 8 plow/salt spreader trucks, it's a game changer in the fight against rust.
View Quote

I don't know why everybody doesn't use it or something like it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:38:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Mine is sitting in storage right now. I have to put some time and money into it this year as I have neglected it the last few years
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 2:02:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Most of us that have these should know this by now its been on steel soldiers since the forum started. I joined the army the same time these came out and even drove some of them when they were brand new. I re keyed both the 1028 and 1009 in the first week including doors and on the blazer the rear tailgate. I hope others have also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But does everyone realize that all of the CUCV's were keyed the same? And is every owner of a CUCV a member of Steel Soldiers?

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Owned a M1008 5/4 ton 4x4 pickup.  It was great!  Could haul a LOT with that payload & 4.56 gears.

While Diesel is NATO correct, I really regret not dropping in an LT.

Even with a turbo the 6.2 diesel is a weak sister.  A 350 or 383 stroker would rock as a CUCV upgrade.

If you upgrade engine & run bigger tires (Humvee surplus) it makes a bad ass off roader truck.

BIGGER_HAMMER  
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:If you upgrade engine & run bigger tires (Humvee surplus) it makes a bad ass off roader truck.
View Quote

If you did those upgrades you'd have a terrible off-road vehicle.  The axles on the M1009 wouldn't not last long.  
EDIT to add: ..wouldn't not last long?  
Typo.

Would NOT last long.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If you did those upgrades you'd have a terrible off-road vehicle.  The axles on the M1009 wouldn't not last long.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:If you upgrade engine & run bigger tires (Humvee surplus) it makes a bad ass off roader truck.

Weren't the axles pretty stout? 14 bolt and a 60 or something like that?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

M1008 (CUCV truck) had BIG Beefy Axles (Front & Rear) and 8 lug rims that share the Humvee pattern.  The M1008 axles had 4.56 gears, which meant about 55 mph max cruise without overspeeding the 6.2 diesel.

M1008 was perfect for larger tires, as they reduced RPM & made viable highway cruise MUCH more practical without compromising axle strength.

BIGGER_HAMMER  
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Love the cucvs, id have a 1009 but i went all in on a humvee.  

6.5td and 4l80e is superior and so is no doors in the summer!

But the normal truck construction of the blazer or pickup would lend itself better to what i do, which is just run errands and go to car shows and seldom do anything a 4x4 pickup cant do  

If i could have yet more military vehicles id have a clean one.  

Or, better yet, the newest LSSV (modern duramax cucv) that i could find.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:04:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still sought after today for lots of different offroad rigs. People swap the 14bff/kp60 into every kind of vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:10:05 AM EDT
[#42]
M1009 comes with 1/2 axles.
The pickups come with the dana 60 and 14bff.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:18:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
M1009 comes with 1/2 axles.
The pickups come with the dana 60 and 14bff.
View Quote

Ah, makes sense now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#44]
I picked up one late last year with low mileage from all of the provided docs. Love this thing except it does need a turbo.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#45]
The beauty of the CUCVs is they're already pretty obnoxious just being on the road.

The quest is to make it more obnoxious.

Right now this is the loudest, most blinding, obnoxious vehicle in the County.  It's got studded tires making more noise too.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#46]
I recently purchased this M1028.

It will be getting a built, fuel injected 383 stroker motor with aluminum heads. I’m also adding IR lighting for night vision fun.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#47]
I'd love to put a turbo on my 1009, but I can't afford it and that is a bummer.  I love the truck and she runs great, but she could use a touch more power.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#48]

Nice truck! You are on Steel Soldiers I think I have seen it on there also.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Owned a M1008 5/4 ton 4x4 pickup.  It was great!  Could haul a LOT with that payload & 4.56 gears.

While Diesel is NATO correct, I really regret not dropping in an LT.

Even with a turbo the 6.2 diesel is a weak sister.  A 350 or 383 stroker would rock as a CUCV upgrade.

If you upgrade engine & run bigger tires (Humvee surplus) it makes a bad ass off roader truck.

BIGGER_HAMMER  
View Quote

I like the 6.2 a lot but there is nothing bad about a LS or LT upgrade. I just like my 6.2s and have had great luck and good fuel economy with them.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I picked up one late last year with low mileage from all of the provided docs. Love this thing except it does need a turbo.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2113/496FADA6-B4F8-4B8E-BD0B-B3E93E8DB7CA_jpe-1840917.JPG
View Quote

Good looking truck and yes I think they really need a turbo.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top