Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2018 6:36:11 PM EDT
Went to the dentist for a six month cleaning.  The tech looks in my mouth and asks "Do you use a CPAP"?  I said yes and she replies that I have eight cavities and they see this a lot with CPAP users.  It causes dry mouth, not enough fluoride, etc.  Doc stops by and confirms.  I should mention that the dentist, who I've been using for years, makes a custom appliance to wear in your mouth at night to stop sleep apnea. I thought the cavity thing was bullshit, but was confirmed by a quick online search.  How is this not common knowledge?  Nobody I'm paying ever mentioned it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#1]
News to me, and I've been using a CPAP for a few years.  My mother and FIL have used them for 10+ years and never mentioned it either.  Weird.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Not using a CPAP can cause death.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
But your teeth will look good
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I used a CPAP for 9 months. (Then I lost 130 lbs and stopped snoring)

I got cavities in that time. I never used to get cavities, and I haven't gotten any since.

I should sue!
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:01:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Went to the dentist for a six month cleaning.  The tech looks in my mouth and asks "Do you use a CPAP"?  I said yes and she replies that I have eight cavities and they see this a lot with CPAP users.  It causes dry mouth, not enough fluoride, etc.  Doc stops by and confirms.  I should mention that the dentist, who I've been using for years, makes a custom appliance to wear in your mouth at night to stop sleep apnea. I thought the cavity thing was bullshit, but was confirmed by a quick online search.  How is this not common knowledge?  Nobody I'm paying ever mentioned it.
View Quote
Never ask a barber if you need a haircut.  If the dentist is selling an “alternative” it may or may not help your sleep apnea.  Will the dentist order another sleep test to check his gizmo?  I’ve never heard of this issue, other than from dentists selling mouth appliances.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sounds like you should get your mouth checked out by a different dentist.
View Quote
that appliance his dentist is talking aboooot is pretty common, i think it just moves your jaw forward to open the airway.

I'd be very surprised if the dude made up 8 cavities
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry, I read it as CRAP causes cavities . . . and was like WTF? GD gonna GD

Carry on.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Not using a CPAP will cause cavities due to dry mouth.  Since using a CPAP, I haven't had dry mouth like I did without it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been using CPAP for 16 years this month, and haven't had a cavity since starting. I have however had some teeth grinding issues, and now have to wear a night guard because my mouth actually stays closed at night now.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#12]
What's the class of people who use CPAPs and aren't infants or grossly obese? Is it a heart problem thing?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#13]
When I started using a CPAP, I looked like Sterling Archer. Now I look like Ernest Borgnine.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What's the class of people who use CPAPs and aren't infants or grossly obese? Is it a heart problem thing?
View Quote
shape and position of the soft palate, and neck circumference is another factor.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Mouth breathing can be bad for dental health.  No use blaming what is keeping you alive.  There's more going on if you had 8 cavities.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Get a second opinion.

I had a dentist want to drill 2 perfectly health teeth.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This.

Mouth closed, warm humidified air blowing into my nose = no dry mouth.

No CPAP = dry mouth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not using a CPAP will cause cavities due to dry mouth.  Since using a CPAP, I haven't had dry mouth like I did without it.
This.

Mouth closed, warm humidified air blowing into my nose = no dry mouth.

No CPAP = dry mouth.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm a dentist and use a cpap.  I don't think it's a major factor but could possibly cause trouble in certain limited situations.  The real problem is dry mouth (xerostomia/reduced salivary flow).   Saliva plays a major protective factor by washing away plaque and food debris.

I use a nose mask and it forces me to keep my mouth shut and hence does not cause dry mouth.  If you use a full face mask and the machine runs dry it could potentially cause problems, but with the humidifier filled the air has more moisture than ambient room air and hence is not likely, in my opinion, to contribute to tooth decay.

Poor diet and hygiene is usually the main culprit.  If you avoid sugar and have good hygiene practices (Brushing AND flossing) a CPAP should be a relatively minor factor.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I should mention that the dentist, who I've been using for years, makes a custom appliance to wear in your mouth at night to stop sleep apnea.
+1

Or wear the strap that holds your mouth shut so air doesn't escape from your mouth. Your pressure might be too low so air escapes from your mouth instead of holding your airway open, how many apnea events is the OP having per hour vs his pressure or did he have an auto-pap?

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Given the fact that cavities pale in comparison to heart damage...I'd stick with the CPAP.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 7:56:20 PM EDT
[#21]
It may be a case of nose only mask, or full face (nose/mouth) mask. I bet the latter is responsible.

I do use a full face mask myself. I've only gotten 1 or 2 cavities in the years I've used CPAP. I do use a humidifier in winter, but not in summer (too humid, no A/C).

I have a checkup this coming Friday. See what he says.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Been running sleep studies for close to 16 years, and personally using CPAP for 8 years. Never heard of CPAP causing cavities. Never had a cavity in my life.

That being said, there can be dryness issues with CPAP use, and bacteria build-up inside masks/tubing if they're not cleaned regularly.

LOTS of dentists are hawking oral-appliances to replace CPAP. Latest info I had was 40% success rates in the mild-to-moderate cases. LOTS of complications related to tooth-pain.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Cavities are caused by the breakdown of sugars causing and acidic state eating away at your enamel which then allows for erosion of the tooth.

Where does dry mouth come into play?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#24]
go see another dentist, I bet he'll come up with a different number.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Cavities are caused by the breakdown of sugars causing and acidic state eating away at your enamel which then allows for erosion of the tooth.

Where does dry mouth come into play?
View Quote
Saliva is essential to the health and regeneration of tooth enamel.  Meth heads have fucked up teeth since they have dry mouth due to lack of saliva.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remineralisation_of_teeth
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
When I started using a CPAP, I looked like Sterling Archer. Now I look like Ernest Borgnine.
View Quote
Same thing here.  Can't believe the weight I've put on since I started using a CPAP 3 years ago.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Using a CPAP since August. Have a full face mask. A couple times I woke up with a 100% dry throat and mouth so I knew I was breathing through my mouth. The CPAP only allows maximum of 8% humidity.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:13:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

No fucking shit.

I've been CPAPping for 17 years.  No new cavities the entire time.

I use a heater with the water tank.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:14:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm 63 and 180 pounds.  I use one.

Plenty of thin and appropriate-weight people have obstructive sleep apnea.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I got cavities in that time. I never used to get cavities, and I haven't gotten any since.

I should sue!
View Quote
DING DING DING!  Don't be fat, no CPAP!
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#31]
CPAP user for 12 years.  0 cavities.  If you have dry mouth your pressure might be adjusted too high so it's forcing air out of your mouth.  Might want to consider a different headgear setup if that's the case.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:56:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Never heard of it......but what do I know?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:04:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I should sue!
That's not how this works.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:05:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:08:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wrong.  Depends completely on the patient.  Not everyone is Reggie White.

I personally think CPAP is the latest medical-industrial complex's scam.  Humans have had apnea for thousands of years and it's suddenly a problem?
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:08:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thisness.

Been using mine for over 10 years. No cavities and all my own teeth
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, they sew your mouth shut so there's that...
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:14:30 PM EDT
[#38]
I mouth rince nightly (and at wake-up)with Biotene before I use my CPAP. It helps greatly with dry mouth.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:22:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I personally think CPAP is the latest medical-industrial complex's scam.  Humans have had apnea for thousands of years and it's suddenly a problem?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plenty of folks died in their sleep as well.  People died from infections for thousands of years, antibiotics must be the medical-industrial complex last scam.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:50:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Step away from the Snickers bar.

Brush your teeth before you go to bed. Floss.
Brush your teeth in the morning too.

15yrs on the CPAP.
No cavities.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 5:07:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I should mention that the dentist, who I've been using for years, makes a custom appliance to wear in your mouth at night to stop sleep apnea.
Why?  These are perfectly legit.  A friend of mine uses one of these, it basically pulls his lower jaw forward at night.  They don't work for everyone;  it depends on what the structural problem is that is causing the airway obstruction.

@GreyHat BTW, he's a skinny guy, the lucky bastard.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 5:15:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Never heard of it......but what do I know?
View Quote
you now have homework.

we'll trust your conclusions.

get to it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top