Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/21/2021 4:45:54 PM EDT
Breaker breaker good buddy.
I admit I was a child of the 60's and 70's and remember using or playing with one.
Is there a reason to pick one up and install it?
Just for fun or novelty?
Any practical uses now?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:48:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a cheap $40 hand held one I use when going on trips with my local Jeep club.  They use CB's to chat.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a cheap $40 hand held one I use when going on trips with my local Jeep club.  They use CB's to chat.
View Quote

I had not looked in to those. Will check them out and for that price range why not have one in the toolbox.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one I bought 25 years ago that I recently started using again for the 4x4 group I'm in.
There wasn't much traffic on it other than our group.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I still use mine when driving any real distance on the interstate.  It is just another way to get information, particularly if there is a weather issue or major accident.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Was wondering who uses CB anymore.  

I have an SDR and a big antenna in my attic and have yet to big up anything on the CB frequencies.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Growing up in the 70's everyone had a CB and huge whip antenna.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#7]
CB?  Yes.  There are locals on it quite regularly in my area of SE PA.  Sideband as well.

Came in handy listening to Ch 19 on the way down to FLA - was able to avoid traffic jams owing to construction or accident.

So, yes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I have two I got in the local area for cheap.  I haven't even fired them up yet.  I have them for comms in my old '72 Pinzgaur 712.  That's the plan, anyway.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes. They are useful for finding out about road conditions, speed traps, and accidents.  But don't go calling anybody "good buddy" on it if you do. It doesn't mean what it meant in the Smokey and the Bandit days. You're liable to get an impolite response.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes

I have a Uniden Pro310e, that I think I bought in 1989, that I throw into the car for long trips, and a cigarette lightered Cobra 25WXST that I can plug in, in a few minutes, if it's a two car trip.
We take all our Motorola T260's for trips, no matter.

Jay
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I still use mine when driving any real distance on the interstate.  It is just another way to get information, particularly if there is a weather issue or major accident.
View Quote
This.  It's nice to get word of the wreck that's happening up the road a little way WHILE it's happening.  Gives you extra time to jump off on some exits an not spend the next 2hrs trying to C-R-A-W-L to one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes farmers and truckers still use them. Outside of that GMRS is the way to go.

https://midlandusa.com/product/mxt400-micromobile-2-way-radio/

One GMRS licence covers you immediate family.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#13]
No

but you should get a quad band.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#14]
You wanna hear some real retardation? Go through any major city and listen to Channel 19. You'll find out just how fucking useless and irritating it can be 90% of the time. Only time i turn mine on is in a back up on the interstate, at night in between cities, or there's some shippers/receivers that use them to scale in/out Otherwise you'll get dumber listening to that damn thing.

I'll also turn it on to cuss other dumb fuck drivers for doing stupid shit like occupying the left lane trying to pass another slow ass truck.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Still used widely but for real comms you need ham radio , we have a forum for that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gmrs is worlds better and rapidly replacing cb for trail comms. Best part is you can buy a cheap radio and not have to permanently install anything or you can do the cb-type permanent install if you want.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I used to say it couldn't be beat for getting traffic information, but apps like Waze blow it away.

It's obsolete.  There are much better options than what it's intended for, like
GMRS.  

When the solar cycle returns, it will be useless during the day unless you're right on top of someone (less than a mile).

The only thing it offers is entertainment value, unless your wife and children are in the car.  You want it OFF, then.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#18]
It could come in handy. Back in 77 I use to run a home base unit with a 500 watt linier connected to a nice set of unidirectional moonrakers bolted to a 30ft tower. On a clear night with atmospheric skip I could talk with people all over the world. Good times.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a CB and Ham in my Jeep.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

My father bought a brand new 197? Cadillac Seville that came with an 8 Track and a CB from the factory.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

And a linear.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was around 14 when the CB craze was big. Had a Midland 13-893 with SSB. The local community used to hangout on channel 7 nightly. I was in 9th grade and some of kids on my bus were also on the nightly net. SSB was more interesting as the coverage was further. Pretty much relegated to channels 16 and 18 IIRC. By the time I got my ham license in the late 80's and finally turned the CB off, I was really only listening to channel 19 and even that was pretty much wall-to-wall noise.

I cannot imagine the era of 1970's CB returning.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I was around 14 when the CB craze was big. Had a Midland 13-893 with SSB. The local community used to hangout on channel 7 nightly. I was in 9th grade and some of kids on my bus were also on the nightly net. SSB was more interesting as the coverage was further. Pretty much relegated to channels 16 and 18 IIRC. By the time I got my ham license in the late 80's and finally turned the CB off, I was really only listening to channel 19 and even that was pretty much wall-to-wall noise.

View Quote
Yeah, CB's are on the way out.  I just have that hand held one for the Jeep club.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#26]
When I was a kid, we would all hold on to the whip antenna while someone hit the transmitt button.  Who could hold on the longest.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:13:46 PM EDT
[#27]
... heck yeah, little brother
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Not worth it in my opinion unless you are talking in a off road group.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Last time I had mine on it was truckers bitching about cars and talking about sex.  

Useless.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#30]
This one only works in the south. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yeah, CB's are on the way out.  I just have that hand held one for the Jeep club.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not with cell phones and hands free. The issue is when you have zero reception, or your with a group. CB’s have their place but not like the 70’s. They are also nice like stated above for being on the interstates.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#33]
You should buy a UV82HP

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Used to love the CB but unless you are going to (CoC) you are not going to get out very far. If just for novelty its cool.
CB community is dead in most areas in the country.

I think most are going to FRS/GMRS. The Chinese ones give you shit loads of versatility and power for the buck.

You can get some nice ones but gonna cost you a few hundred.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#35]
If you drive a lot or live in a hurricane prone area they come in handy.   If you have a friend that will pull you out of the mud 5 miles away it's got that going for it if you are in a no cell zone.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#36]
I use one on my work truck and use it on the interstates for traffic and speed traps.

Driving at night and hooking up with a ‘driver’ headed in the same direction passes the time and keeps me awake.

Cities OTOH are a real crapshoot where I either turn it off or the volume down so I can barely hear it.
Mostly road rage or so idiot has his mike keyed to his favorite song on the radio and no one can cut in.

Then there are the buttheads with 100+ watt amps that roar over everything around them not realizing that they are frying municipal SCADA system coms and sensor circuits cause they keyed their mike next to it.  

It is another tool.  Saves me time and frustration on unexpected traffic events.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Used to love the CB but unless you are going to (CoC) you are not going to get out very far. If just for novelty its cool.
CB community is dead in most areas in the country.

I think most are going to FRS/GMRS. The Chinese ones give you shit loads of versatility and power for the buck.

You can get some nice ones but gonna cost you a few hundred.

View Quote

No distance with FRS or GMRS like 11 meters.  I keep telling everyone here to forgo the CB radios and get an export radio instead.  Something like a RCI Ranger and the 11 meter key that's on eBay.  It becomes a transceiver for CB, or 10/12 meters at a push of a button.  Far more versatile.  And forget bass stations.  Just get a mobile and a power supply for a base station.

I have the Ranger 2950dx and it is better than any CB I've had in the past.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No distance with FRS or GMRS like 11 meters.  I keep telling everyone here to forgo the CB radios and get an export radio instead.  Something like a RCI Ranger and the 11 meter key that's on eBay.  It becomes a transceiver for CB, or 10/12 meters at a push of a button.  Far more versatile.  And forget bass stations.  Just get a mobile and a power supply for a base station.

I have the Ranger 2950dx and it is better than any CB I've had in the past.
View Quote

Agree that is the way to go if you need to get out there. Pretty involved and pricey for most just looking for a novelty though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:44:51 PM EDT
[#39]
I started with CB for trail coms, but I've gone to GMRS. It is far superior and less cluttered. It'll do everything you need.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yes. They are useful for finding out about road conditions, speed traps, and accidents.  But don't go calling anybody "good buddy" on it if you do. It doesn't mean what it meant in the Smokey and the Bandit days. You're liable to get an impolite response.
View Quote

You guys need WAZE
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You guys need WAZE
View Quote

I use Waze and CB on the highway. Between Atlanta and Greenville, the combo has saved me lots of sitting.

Also, it was very nice to have between Greenville and Boston.

For what amounts to a little effort and not much cost, a CB can be a very good compliment to your driving tools.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Well here's what got me to thinking about a cb.
When things open up more the wife and I want to drive south hang a right headed west out of georgia and go maybe as far as texas.
Have done all the northern part of the country and SE part so it's time for the SW part. Maybe next year at the latest.
Need to see this beautiful part of the country.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#43]
An old buddy had a cb in his truck which included a PA speaker outside of the cab.
Like clockwork, as he would pass by any heifer taking a walk:
“You best start running, cause walking ain’t cuttin it”.
The pissed off scowls were hilarious.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:24:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Some logging crews still use them to talk from the skidder/loader/and trucks as they come in.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You wanna hear some real retardation? Go through any major city and listen to Channel 19. You'll find out just how fucking useless and irritating it can be 90% of the time. Only time i turn mine on is in a back up on the interstate, at night in between cities, or there's some shippers/receivers that use them to scale in/out Otherwise you'll get dumber listening to that damn thing.

I'll also turn it on to cuss other dumb fuck drivers for doing stupid shit like occupying the left lane trying to pass another slow ass truck.

View Quote
Entire reason I have one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I started with CB for trail coms, but I've gone to GMRS. It is far superior and less cluttered. It'll do everything you need.
View Quote

This. I had a CB in my Jeep 10 years ago. Today? Not worth it. Hardly anyone uses them anymore on the highway and a GMRS radio works just fine on the trail.

That said, I do have a little handheld somewhere around here. It's another tool in the toolbox I guess. Just not a very useful one currently.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:35:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Got them on my bikes. Have a couple handheld units as well and will probably pick up an updated model.

Have one for eventual installation in my car, and own a number of vintage, high-end AM/SSB, AM and SSB-only base radios.

Also have ham rigs, FRS, GMRS, MURS and other gear mounted alongside them. Different equipment for different purposes, all of it useful.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:20:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
19Q1320...KHG0808...how the heck do I remember those call letters and not my grandkids name ?

They still use crystals ?

I know they added channels and lowered the wattage since my time.
View Quote
LOL, they have all been PLL controlled since about 76 or so.  OP, at the moment pretty useless at least compared to what they used to be on one hand.  On the other I see lots of questions lately.  A $5 garage sale radio and antenna will get you up and running, so no loss in trying it anyway.  I have a whole pile of sideband radios that have extra channels in them that I have bought over the last ten years or so just because they were cheap...  I dont think I have more than $20 in any of them and remember a time when they would have been $100+ if not $200.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:25:11 AM EDT
[#49]
They can be cheap. They work.

I drive truck and do not have one in the truck.  

When I hauled stone and gravel I used it to talk to the loader operator.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:32:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Everything About CB Radio, A Complete Guide to CB Radio Service

CB Radio IS ON FIRE!! Shooting "Skip" On 11 Meters!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top