Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2023 11:08:54 AM EDT
The Video is crazy! Skip about halfway thru unless you like listening to this guy talk.

Wire Strike! Cessna 182 Holly Ridge Airport Aug 2022
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Highwires right on the end of the runway. Great idea!
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I was going to say....how were those lines NOT marked? Nuts...
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#5]
They are stringing new high lines to a distribution/relay/transformer site,  along the edge of Davis Monthan right now.  Not a single marker.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 3:27:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Holy shit!

How are those lines unmarked?
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 4:01:37 PM EDT
[#7]
They are unmarked because it was a PPR (prior permission required) private airfield. Fields like that are not required to conform to the standards of a public use airport.

However, it does beg the question: why didn't the airport owner request the installation of marker balls on that line? I suspect it's because the power company charges a lot of money to do so--anyone have any experience with that sort of thing?
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They are unmarked because it was a PPR (prior permission required) private airfield. Fields like that are not required to conform to the standards of a public use airport.

However, it does beg the question: why didn't the airport owner request the installation of marker balls on that line? I suspect it's because the power company charges a lot of money to do so--anyone have any experience with that sort of thing?
View Quote

The power company will usually do it for free because of the liability.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 10:11:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I have big wires at one end of my runway, smaller wires on the other end.

Balls on both. Power company asked me where I wanted them and they just replaced the ones on the big wires a couple of years ago.  

Never mentioned anything about charging me for it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 6:28:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Interesting. Perhaps both the airport owner and the local utility with consider doing the obvious then.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#11]
By me there is a private field and they had the power company run the lines underground at the end of the runway. No idea what it cost. If anything. I see a lot of orange balls around me even on lines that are below tree top height.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:07:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Well he certainly won the short field landing contest.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
By me there is a private field and they had the power company run the lines underground at the end of the runway. No idea what it cost. If anything. I see a lot of orange balls around me even on lines that are below tree top height.
View Quote

You aren't doing that with transmission lines. Smaller stuff, sure, the cost is still high though and likely on your dime.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:23:40 AM EDT
[#14]
That'll buff right out
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You aren't doing that with transmission lines. Smaller stuff, sure, the cost is still high though and likely on your dime.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are some level of transmission lines it is the line that runs down the road.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is an RC airplane pilot youtuber.   I noticed that the power lines are no longer in front of his house.  He apparently paid to have the two or three pole spans replaced with underground.........for his toy planes.    He is one of the many soup sammiches though as he is flying over the public road in front of his house all the time and over the neighbors field on the other side of the road.  His landing approach brings him low right over the road.   It’s not in compliance with the accepted rules od RC airplane operation.   But hey he’s a youtube personality.

I still can’t believe he paid to bury those lines.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I wanted to bury the smaller set at my place two years ago and it was gonna be about $35K for roughly 150’.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top