Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/13/2021 10:25:14 PM EDT
How does this work? I’ve read that possession of an upper with a short barrel and a lower that is non sbr non pistol is a felony. Links or advice would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#3]
First of all, what the feds don't know won't hurt them as long as you aren't flaunting it.

Nobody has ever been charged with "constructive possession" alone. It's an upper. Just buy it and put it with your stuff, finish your pistol lower whenever.

I swear some of you guys think the ATF has cameras and microphones in your house.

If you want to be extra safe, store the short upper in a separate container or closet.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#4]
You need to read up some more on it.  And nothing specific to Texas restricts that.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First of all, what the feds don't know won't hurt them as long as you aren't flaunting it.

Nobody has ever been charged with "constructive possession" alone. It's an upper. Just buy it and put it with your stuff, finish your pistol lower whenever.

I swear some of you guys think the ATF has cameras and microphones in your house.
View Quote

I don’t think they have cameras in my house. I know they can access my internet purchases and credit card statements. Paranoia is not a factor.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#8]
If you bought the upper for cash at the gun show, who would know?
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don’t think they have cameras in my house. I know they can access my internet purchases and credit card statements. Paranoia is not a factor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lmao if I thought the ATF was combing through everyone's internet purchases and credit card statements looking for NFA violations and then prosecuting them, I'd be even less inclined to comply and that's all I'm going to say.

You aren't committing a felony until you've actually manufactured / assembled an SBR without paying taxes. It's that simple.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Would you like to buy some tickets to the gun show?
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:33:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Not today Mr. ATF man.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:33:24 PM EDT
[#12]
You should write a letter to the atf for clarification
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Everybody needs at least one SBR or one pistol lower.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#14]
To be safe, I had a pistol lower before buying a short upper. Actually, I had a complete AR pistol first, and then I didn't worry how many extra short AR uppers I had. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:36:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Welcome fellow firearms enthusiast.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:37:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Just buy a pistol lower as stripped lowers are cheap and everyone should have a pistol lower.

And quit being paranoid

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:37:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Lmao if I thought the ATF was combing through everyone's internet purchases and credit card statements looking for NFA violations and then prosecuting them, I'd be even less inclined to comply and that's all I'm going to say.

You aren't committing a felony until you've actually manufactured / assembled an SBR without paying taxes. It's that simple.
View Quote

I assume you have not seen the video of the atf showing up because a man ordered a large amount of filters.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:38:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just buy a pistol lower as stripped lowers are cheap and everyone should have a pistol lower.

And quit being paranoid

View Quote

What’s the conviction rate with federal charges? I’m sure you know.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:39:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Not today Mr ATFman
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:39:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I assume you have not seen the video of the atf showing up because a man ordered a large amount of filters.
View Quote

That’s kind of different.
They get erections over that sort of thing much more easily.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:40:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How does this work? I've read that possession of an upper with a short barrel and a lower that is non sbr non pistol is a felony. Links or advice would be appreciated.
View Quote
If it was a stripped lower it can be either a rifle or a pistol.

Thats why IIRC it's listed as other on the 4473.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:40:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have personally purchased over a dozen short uppers, with almost all of them being before I did my first SBR. Nobody is ever going to show up and ask you questions about that dude. If you're this fearful of the ATF I'd suggest you stay away from anything NFA or NFA approximate.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:42:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Rode the account for an entire year. Your patience might get you a promotion.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What's the conviction rate with federal charges? I'm sure you know.
View Quote
Why would I know?

If you have a pistol lower a short barrel upper would be legal to own.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#25]
You can buy whatever you want. But yeah putting a shorty upper along with a rifle lower might be playing with fire. Attach them and you got an illegal unregistered SBR. Leave them separate and you're probably ok, but some may argue constructive intent. But who's going to know anyways unless you bring it out to show off or shoot or something. Or you know don't break more laws that get a search warrant and then they find a lower with a shorty upper and put them together and add another charge. Or you could just build a pistol AR and be legal. Or Form 1 your rifle lower to be a SBR to be legal.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Do whatever the fuck you want. Glad I could help.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How does this work? I've read that possession of an upper with a short barrel and a lower that is non sbr non pistol is a felony. Links or advice would be appreciated.
View Quote
Big question are you 21?

If not the whole AR pistol might be a problem for you.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Do whatever the fuck you want. Glad I could help.
View Quote

Damn good post. I should’ve said this
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ATF had not shown up at my house, I buy 4 cases of oil filters at a time.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:53:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not today Mr. ATF man.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:54:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Calling the ATF hotline as I type this to tell them about my Autozone down the street!
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:57:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Fuck off MSNBC
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:00:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Calling the ATF hotline as I type this to tell them about my Autozone down the street!
View Quote
I knew it!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:01:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did those filters happen to look anything like this? I'm going to bet on it.

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:02:38 PM EDT
[#35]
The constructive intent argument is nonsense for SBRs where you can legally possess them. It's one thing to say you have constructive intent if you have a shorty upper and no pistol lower and it's illegal to possess SBRs in your area. But even then, you could say you intended on buying a pistol lower. How are they going to prove constructive intent if you simply say you intended to eventually file a form 1 and because you haven't done that yet, you are keeping it separate? I buy stuff all the time that I don't intend to use, sometimes for years. I had a pistol lower for several years before I bought an upper for it. As long as you have a legal pathway forward, I don't see how you can possibly be charged with a crime in non-clown world. In clown world, anything goes, so you better not even buy a 16" upper because guns are icky and constructively possessing them automatically makes you a domestic terrorist or something.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:03:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
How does this work? I’ve read that possession of an upper with a short barrel and a lower that is non sbr non pistol is a felony. Links or advice would be appreciated.
View Quote

If you want a solid answer talk to a lawyer, but definitely don't store it together. "Constructive possession" as a charge seems to be an add on when Feds are charging someone with serious stuff already.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:03:51 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote
OP could quit being poor and do a couple efile form ones and have his legal suppressors and SBRs.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:04:40 PM EDT
[#38]
so, what do you know about braces and sbrs?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

The rules are online at the ATF website.  If you can't understand them, I blame your educators.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:08:40 PM EDT
[#40]
PISTOL THREAD!

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:10:13 PM EDT
[#41]
What do you mean "how does it work?"

From a federal statute standpoint, do not assemble a rifle < 26" or with a barrel <16". That's it.

From a moral standpoint, do whatever the fuck you want.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:11:10 PM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did those filters happen to look anything like this? I'm going to bet on it.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H2a5d27c16db946edbf9e2cd8adf84b079/R-EP-Aluminum-Solvent-Trap-1-2-28-5-8-24-Fuel-Filter-for-NAPA-4003.jpg

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:12:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:15:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I dig the AK pistol

View All Quotes

Thx
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:17:40 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote
Lol

OP: SBRs are better

Also OP: but guys can you tell me about a SBR upper since I don't have a SBR lower, but they are better even though I don't own one.

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:33:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Lol

OP: SBRs are better

Also OP: but guys can you tell me about a SBR upper since I don't have a SBR lower, but they are better even though I don't own one.

View Quote

dirty harry "I gots ta know" gif

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:44:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If you bought the upper for cash at the gun show, who would know?
View Quote

I like your avatar

Doubt anybody would know the connection
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:49:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:53:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if it was true that it was illegal without a SBR or pistol lower how would they know this isn't going to one ?

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:57:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top