Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2018 9:46:51 AM EDT
So I’d like to buy a real camera and stop taking family photos with my cell phone.

So what can you guys reccomend that takes great pics, has zoom lens , and I want WiFi capable .

For $300 max.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:05:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Stick with the camera on your phone if $300 is your budget.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Transferring photos off the camera is more convenient than a phone.
View Quote
Actually not.  Android users who have a gmail.com account (and are signed in on their phone to their gmail account) have their photos backed up to Google Photos (accessed easily in chrome if you are signed in).  Open Chrome on your computer (and sign in if you aren't) and then click on the little checkerboard-like icon on the upper right of a new tab (Google Apps) and select Photo.  Your backed up photos are there.  Yust download them.

Unless you have deliberately or ignorantly not signed in on your phone so that neither your photos or contacts are backed up...

I'm sure Apple's walled garden has something similar where your iPhone photos are backed up to their iCloud so you can access them on your iPad (and that's as far as you get).
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:53:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So I'd like to buy a real camera and stop taking family photos with my cell phone.

So what can you guys reccomend that takes great pics, has zoom lens , and I want WiFi capable .

For $300 max.
View Quote
You should be able to fine any number of "not bleeding edge" DSLRs used on eBay for $300.  Maybe with lenses.  I've liked Olympus for years - I have two E-620s and a 'professional' E-5, all out-of-production.  There are several e-620s 'kits' on eBay in your budget.  Glass (lenses) is likewise less expensive than 'bleeding kewl' new mirrorless DSLRs.  The e-620s use old tech CF cards for storage, but I use CF adapters for SD cards.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#9]
What do you have for a phone. If it’s anything made within the past few year it will out perform anything you will get for $300. If you have an iPhone you can download some apps that will allow you to shoot in raw format.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for "stick with phone camera if you're going to be that cheap".

You could get a Nikon D3400 with 18-55mm lens for under 400 bucks.   That's entry level for a DSLR and it's a decent camera. 24 megapixels.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Pitch in another $100 and get a D3500

https://www.adorama.com/inkd3500ka.html?EmailPrice=T
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 6:20:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ll have to do some poking, but there should still be a few rebates running on stuff.  You might have to bump up the price range a bit though.  Off the top of my head, the Nikon D3400 and Olympus OMD-EM10 MKII should be around there and are good choices for DSLR and mirrorless.

That said I’d strongly consider sticking with your phone camera and saving up for more.  Camera gear gets expensive fast when you add in the extras you’d need, etc.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Found a SMOKING deal on a Pentax KP, could not pass it up.
For glass went the Tair-3s route for telephoto, dug around enough to find an un issued lens kit with flawless looking glass, and the stock from another seller.
Sure I will have to adapt it and manually dial it in but paired with the pixel shift on the KP it is a golden ticket for a 1/10th of the cost for a f/4.5 300mm equal.

Just need to find a sub 200 18-50 or 20-70 weather resistant daily street grinder and will be set.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#14]
WOOT has some Fuji mirrorless on sale currently, but I have no idea on Fuji. There are a few guys here that like them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 8:48:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think those cloud back up accounts were canceled by Google.  I don't know, I'm not going to intentionally use cloud storage.

Removing the card from my phone requires opening the case.  Not inclined to do that often, either.

ETA:  I attached the phone with a USB cable, but couldn't get access to the files to transfer.  I'll mess with it later, as this would be handy.
View Quote
No, they weren't.  Just download the photos to your computer and then delete them  off Google Photos.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#16]
What kind/format of camera do you want to buy? Full frame DSLR? Crop sensor DSLR? Mirrorless? Point and shoot? What are you hoping to accomplish?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For that price range, I say stick with the camera phone.

The pictures won't be any better or worse from a $300 camera. The only thing you might gain is a couple of buttons and a device that's slightly more convenient to hold and take pictures with. The tech inside is basically the same and in some cases worse on the pocket cameras.

Picture quality is more about who is taking them rather than what device they use. There are several members here that could show you pics shot with phones that you'd be hard pressed to tell they didn't come from an expensive DSLR.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I'd like to buy a real camera and stop taking family photos with my cell phone.

For $300 max.
For that price range, I say stick with the camera phone.

The pictures won't be any better or worse from a $300 camera. The only thing you might gain is a couple of buttons and a device that's slightly more convenient to hold and take pictures with. The tech inside is basically the same and in some cases worse on the pocket cameras.

Picture quality is more about who is taking them rather than what device they use. There are several members here that could show you pics shot with phones that you'd be hard pressed to tell they didn't come from an expensive DSLR.
I agree with sticking to your phone at that price point.

I took this with my S9, and am pretty pleased how it turned out. Especially being handheld.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:45:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:27:59 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote
I'll just trot out this shot again as an example.

iPhone 5.  This is straight out of the phone.

BrightonRail by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:36:11 AM EDT
[#20]
For $56 I bought a Olympus TG1 off Ebay. It was $40 more than my cell phone and will take better pics. And all told I will have less than $75 in both, each doing what it does better than the other.

For a camera forum to consistently recommend a cell phone is like asking what AR I should get and reading a dozen replies about why you need an AK.

rant on: This is why the $300 price range is almost empty of camera offerings and the market is drying up. No, a cell phone isn't the end all be all answer for taking photos. It's the exploitative destruction of photography by putting something in the hands of anyone who can tap a touch screen and then making them think it was all about their skill.

I'm suggesting that just because a company has put tens of thousands of dollars into the programming to sell millions of the product across the world, that the owner isn't a much a part of the equation as they think. Anybody can click an icon. A photographer can take a photograph despite his equipment.  Flight 1549 did not land in the Hudson on autopilot, CPT Sullenburger was flying it. I don't think any passenger at the controls sitting there watching the dials spin would have been a better answer.

NPC's can't even video in widescreen as it is. Making the phone correct operator error? When do they learn how to do it right, and what then distinguishes the professional from just anybody on staff with a gizmo? Keep it up, there will be no cameras at all or professionals to operate them.

rant off
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top