Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2021 9:03:14 PM EDT
I'm looking for an 07/08 (V8) 4runner w/leather but I keep losing out on the good deals. If a reputable dealership has one in stock for a couple grand over KBB they sell same day here. Unfortunately I don't always have the flexibility with work to jump that quickly

When I search nation-wide I notice that the second these vehicles make it within 2 states of WA they skyrocket in price.

I've never bought a car without inspecting it in person. If I decide to buy one out of state can anyone give me recommendations on best practices or shippers they reccomend?

Any tips would be appreciated. A week ago I tried top buy a beat to shit 06 with 150K on it for 13K and it was sold same day.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never participated in one sight unseen. Always made the trip and drove it back.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never participated in one sight unseen. Always made the trip and drove it back.
View Quote

Same. I've traveled to pick them up.

But, this is arfcom.  You could ask if anyone would check it out for you.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm looking for an 07/08 (V8) 4runner w/leather but I keep losing out on the good deals. If a reputable dealership has one in stock for a couple grand over KBB they sell same day here. Unfortunately I don't always have the flexibility with work to jump that quickly

When I search nation-wide I notice that the second these vehicles make it within 2 states of WA they skyrocket in price.

I've never bought a car without inspecting it in person. If I decide to buy one out of state can anyone give me recommendations on best practices or shippers they reccomend?

Any tips would be appreciated. A week ago I tried top buy a beat to shit 06 with 150K on it for 13K and it was sold same day.

View Quote

I’ve always done pre purchase inspections through reputable dealers. They usually have different levels of inspection options. If I’ve asked all the correct questions and seller has documentation for all maintenance/work done, I’ve rarely had an issue. I just negotiate the PPI into the deal.

I’ve also put cash down or paid through escrow accounts to ensure good faith and that neither party gets screwed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I've bought 4 used vehicles out of town (all purchased for over $20k each, so not clunkers/beaters).

Each time, I found a local independent shop to do a pre-purchase inspection.  One guy did it for free, the others charged me between $65 and $100.  Money well-spent.

If the vehicle is being offered by a dealership, that's a pretty safe bet.  They don't want their online reputation sullied by a pissed-off used car sale.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:31:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've bought 4 used vehicles out of town (all purchased for over $20k each, so not clunkers/beaters).

Each time, I found a local independent shop to do a pre-purchase inspection.  One guy did it for free, the others charged me between $65 and $100.  Money well-spent.

If the vehicle is being offered by a dealership, that's a pretty safe bet.  They don't want their online reputation sullied by a pissed-off used car sale.

View Quote

Appreciate this
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 11:32:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone have any experience with shipping? I've read some horror stories on other forums
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Anyone have any experience with shipping? I've read some horror stories on other forums
View Quote

Frankly, airfare is so cheap right now, if it was me I'd just jump on a plane and get it myself.  I'm not comfortable buying something like that sight unseen.  If there's a problem, it'll just be a big PITA to get resolved.

Two weeks ago, I flew a non-stop from Detroit to LaGuardia in Delta, first class, for $169.  The base/economy fare was $75.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#8]
There are services that will inspect vehicles for you. I’ve also flown in to inspect a car. Just depends on the vehicle and what it means to you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top