Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2021 10:08:00 AM EDT
Has anyone experienced burn in on their Oled tv?  I am in need of a new tv and it's down to Samsung Qled r LG Oled.  We are two old people who do not game just watch movies etc.  Don't want to spend over a grand and have a shitty image always sitting in the active screen.  Nothing over a 50 incher since the area for the tv will only allow  up to that size.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#1]
My Sony A9G is going on 2 years old, no issues.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#2]
OLED is subject to persistence, just like plasmas were.  Even LCD's can suffer from persistence, but not nearly to the degree that plasmas were.

'Burn-in' (a misnomer) was a problem with CRTs.  It could not be reversed because the phosphors were damaged.  Persistence can be reversed unless the pixel elements themselves are damaged.  Leaving a static image on them does not do that.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Replacing the LED strips isn't a huge job, if they are the problem. You'll probably need help lifting off the glass and panel to get to them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#4]
The only way I'd expect a problem is if you always have it on watching something with a chiron or scrolling news ticker.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 55” and 65” LG OLED since 2018. Never had any issues with burn in. LG does several things to prevent burning with automatic screen savers, pixel shifting, and logo de-brightening. OLED burn in can typically be reversed over time as well if you some how manage to get it.  

If you read on avsforums, it is extremely hard to get burn in through normal viewing. I honestly never think about it since the screen saver comes on after a while when the screen doesn’t update (app frozen, content paused, menu left on accidentally).
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Replacing the LED strips isn't a huge job, if they are the problem. You'll probably need help lifting off the glass and panel to get to them.
View Quote
OLED doesn't have LED strips.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Something you can try for light screen burn on an oled or old plasma is broadcasting a screen full of static for 24 hours straight.  I've done this on several plamas in the past.  By static I mean the signal when a TV station used to be off air or a cable chanel was unavailable.  If you have a means to do this it may work.

TV Static Noise For Smartphone | For sleeping, studying | 8Hours
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 1:07:30 AM EDT
[#8]
No issues with my LG oled.  It has a mode you can use to remove any persistent images, but I have never needed it.  I would go for a lg or sony oled over a samsung.
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 1:37:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Just bought a LG 77" OLED.  I read a lot and was confident that with the methods that LG has put into place that image burn could be minimized.  I use an xbox to provide the video and have it set to turn off after it is in standby for a few minutes and then the TV's screensaver turns on for a little while longer and then it turns off as well.

eta: The image is phenomenal compared to the LCD it replaced.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Where are these LED strips that are easy to replace in an OLED screen?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top