Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2022 10:55:34 PM EDT
So  I've been interested in getting a blue dial/face watch . I'm cruising around Jomashop and found something interesting

It's not a blue face, rather is a silver/white face with blue hands . Looks kinda sweet  

https://www.jomashop.com/bulova-classic-watch-96a206.html

I'm not a watch expert, but I have picked up a few mid tier "bang for your buck" watches based on y'all's discussions.   I have a Hamilton, Tissot, Orient .. etc

This one won't scratch my itch for a blue face, but I do like the way it looks . I could add it to the collection if it's any good.

on a side note . Any suggestions for my original goal?   I don't want a field type or a dive type . I'm kinda leaning toward a Seiko solar chronograph P1 .budget = under 1k .. I'd like to get a brand I don't already have .

Link Posted: 7/27/2022 11:44:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Bulova makes a pretty nice watch and that is very attractive and will have great wrist presence.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 4:48:55 AM EDT
[#2]
If you like it and it is in budget, Fo!
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 7:49:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Bulova has been around a really really long time. They are owned by Citizen Watch group. They're decent watch that kinda bridges a gap between the quality of a Fossil watch and the quality of a Seiko or a Tissot.

Personally, I'd recommend looking at a Seiko Presage or Orient Bambino for that kind of money. There are many other options for dress watches around $300 that might blow the quality of the Bulova out of the water. But it's more about your taste, who are we to comment if you like the watch

That being said, the watch you posted is a 42mm diameter watch. It's fairly large for a 'dressier' style watch. If you have big wrists it'll look right at home, otherwise it might seem obnoxiously large and make it seem like your compensating for something. I have a 7.25" wrist and I find that 36-38mm dress watches look the best in my opinion.

Here are a few of my recommendations for a non-field and non-dive watch under $1000:
  Tissot PRX Auto - It's a cool retro watch. I like the style of them and I think for the money they're solid. This is my top recommendation considering your OP requirements. Blue face casual/dress watch.
  Casio GWM5610-1 - If you don't already have a Casio, this is a great solid choice for one.
  Frederique Constant Slimline - These are beautiful watches that I think have great style and are good value for money.
  Longines Conquest or Presence - Fairly simple designs, but have good history and Longines is a great Swiss watch

In that budget, Hamilton, Seiko, and Tissot are real winners. You can open yourself up to Sinn, Oris, and Nomos if you consider used and open up the budget slightly.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 10:59:48 PM EDT
[#4]
They have a seriously legit history.
With some fantastic contributions to watch history.
They were more of a mass produced Swiss watch factory than high end Swiss timepieces type niche.
They actually maintained independence during the quartz crisis, then continued under a parent acquiring company.
Citizen has owned them for over a decade.

I like re-releases of vintage dive watches.  So I bought one of their’s.
It’s, basically entry level Citizen, Seiko, Orient diver level/quality.

It’s basically only sort of living on in name, but the same is true of many other Swiss watch companies with major histories.  Except many of those are at least still fully Swiss.
I guess buying a Bulova watch now vs 40 years ago is sort of like buying a Craftsman set of tools now vs 50 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the helpful info everyone!  Thanks to x_red_beard a Frederic Constant slim line is def on my wish list.  

I decided to go with a Seiko Presage cocktail time “Blue Moon”.  For one, I’ve been wanting to add a Seiko to the collection and two, I do like my after work cocktail time lol…although I have to say, the “Mojito” looks nice as well.   But, before doubling up on a brand, I’d like to get a couple more different manufacturers….

One of these days I want to get a good pocket watch.  My great grandfather was a railroad engineer and my great grand mother had his retirement pocket watch in a domed display case on a shelf.  I was always fascinated by it as a kid.   She passed back in the 70s when I was just a kid.   I don’t know what ever happened to it, or even anything about it.   It sure looked cool though lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top