Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2022 7:53:58 AM EDT
TL/DR-I built an engine test stand for a VW motor

Several months ago I picked up a running 1.8 Porsche 914 engine to replace the factory 1200 motor in my 1963 Beetle.  This was supposedly rebuilt for a dune buggy project that never happened and wound up sitting in a shed for 20 years with the occasional start-up to blow the cobwebs out.   My plan is to convert the engine to upright cooling using a DTM kit from LN Engineering along with dual Weber carbs and a CSP Python exhaust.  I might rebuild it later using the 2056cc stroker kit but expect the 1.8 should make over twice the horsepower of the old Type 1 motor. The Type 4 is a tight fit in a Beetle so I wanted to build a test stand to tune the engine and carbs before stuffing it into the back of the Bug...

The heart of the stand is a Power Torque Tools 1000 lb model from my local O'Reilly's, part #PT34125.  This is a basic imported 4-wheel engine stand and is probably sold by other retailers in different colors.   The handle storage area makes a good mount for a battery tray so I fabricated one from .25"x8"x12" steel plate, .25"x.75" CRS bar stock and 1/8" wall 1.25" square tube.  Next, I made a mount for the control box using a 1/4"x6"x8" steel plate and two pieces of 1/8"x1.5" angle that are attached using M10x1 bolts.  These parts were primed with Rustoleum self-etching gray primer then sprayed with VHT SP134 Ford Light Blue high temp engine enamel which is a close match to the stand.

For the control panel, the following parts were sourced from Amazon and eBay:
-VDO Cockpit 2-1/16" Tachometer Gauge 0-8K #333-959
-VDO Cockpit 2-1/16" Oil Pressure 0-80 PSI #350-040
-VDO Cockpit 2-1/16" Oil Temp Gauge 120-300°F #V3-1001-2
-BUD Industries 8"x6"x3-1/2" Aluminum Electronics Minibox #CU-3009-A
-Jtron Dc12v Flip-up Start Ignition Three Combination Switch Panel #04040001
-smseace 50PCS Piggyback Spade Terminal Quick Connector Assortment Kit #SM-08
-YCIND 3' Battery Clip-on Alligator Clips 30A Fuse 12V/24V 12AWG Cord #C2E-B1
-Xuniea Wire Loom Kit #B097R4KG9F
-GS Power Copper 14 AWG 6 Roll Color Combo Wire #B07Y8D7GPT
-Qibaok 1500pcs Wire Crimp Connector Kit #CAQibaok545

The control panel has a master cutoff switch along with a pushbutton starter and three lighted switches I used for the coil, fuel pump and gauges.  I went with VDO gauges because that's what the Beetle has but any brand should work.  A 52mm hole saw was used to cut holes for the gauges and a 62mm hole saw was used to clear the master switch along with a jigsaw to cut room for the switch panel.  I made a wiring harness for the alligator clips but still need to make an additional harness for the smaller wires.  The motor came with a single carb setup but I sold that and just installed dual Weber IDF 40s with linkage from CB Performance.  The hex crossbar in my kit was warped so I made a replacement on the lathe from 1/2" stainless hex bar stock.  At this point I am still waiting on the parts I need to fit it into the car but am hoping to have everything tuned and ready for some VW shows in the spring...

Link Posted: 10/1/2022 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#1]
That’s interesting. Thanks.

One more project added to the list.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I had no idea one of those big ass engines would even come close to fitting in a bug.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 11:21:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top