Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2019 1:58:34 AM EDT
AWESOME trip on the Master Liveaboards / Truk Master
Did it with two friends on sidemount + 50/100% deco. All of the other guests were on CCR.
Dove the
- USS Saratoga x6
- IJN Nagato x3
- USS Anderson
- USS Carlisle
- USS Arkansas
- USS Apogon
- USS Lamson
- Prinz Eugen (Kwajalein)
- Plane Graveyard (Roi-Namur)

Link Posted: 6/17/2019 2:49:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds awesome post some pics
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 3:22:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Very cool!
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Added to original post.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Didn't know it was open for general admission.  Is there a time limit in place to limit exposure?
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Didn't know it was open for general admission.  Is there a time limit in place to limit exposure?
View Quote
Exposure isn't a concern... anything in the water has long since circulated out.
Generally speaking, there didn't seem to be any concern for exposure from going into the wrecks and getting rusty.

Master Liveabords They have a "season" where they go to Bikini from Truk.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool as hell.

Actually, hell is not cool.

Fuck is cool though.

Cool as fuck.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Radioactivity?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_testing_at_Bikini_Atoll

nuclear testing at Bikini Atoll program was a series of 23 nuclear devices detonated by the United States between 1946 and 1958
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 5:03:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Terrific bucket list. Closest I've been is Palau which was awesome. Would love to go to Truk.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 12:24:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Bikini is very high on my list

very jealous here!
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#15]
That's just too cool!

Link Posted: 6/27/2019 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#16]
If one were to STAY in Bikini Atoll, drink the water and eat the vegetation: yeah that would be bad.

Radioactivity is worse in the USA than diving in Bikini.

--

That is some awesome diving @PATHFINDER74 - I would like to do Bikini and Chuuk one day.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 2:28:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If one were to STAY in Bikini Atoll, drink the water and eat the vegetation: yeah that would be bad.
Radioactivity is worse in the USA than diving in Bikini.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/US_fallout_exposure.png
--
That is some awesome diving @PATHFINDER74 - I would like to do Bikini and Chuuk one day.
View Quote
Tough choice... Chuuk or Bikini.
I feel like there's more bragging rights with Bikini and you see some things you can't see in Chuuk.
But, I have every intention of going back to Chuuk, whereas I feel like I don't need to go back to Bikini.
The wrecks are shallower and, in my limited experience, more accessible in Chuuk. Keep in mind, the wrecks in both places have experienced their share of beatings before they ended up in the sand and their expiration dates are closing in. Eventually they're all going to start collapsing and will eventually be nothing bu rubble, so do it while you can.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for sharing....
Posts like this help most of who will never make it there to dive vicariously through your experiences.

You mentioned your experience in Truuk and how it will be rubble soon.

Kind of long, but here is the Cousteau team there in the early 70's, maybe a bit earlier.  I can only see the difference in state by vids and pictures, but it looks dramatic.
Jump to 14 minutes if you want to skip the intro and ghey swimsuits.  As a side note, in re-watching this, I found more evidence of my next double hose project.

I obtained my first set of dive gear from a salvage boat that was bound for Truuk to torch screws and whatever else they could.  That was '78/79.  Their permit/permission was pulled at the last minute, thus the fire sale of equipment.  Glad they didn't make it there.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#19]
excellent photography!
must have been a great experience to see those wrecks.

I hope your sidearm had a good coating to resist the saltwater
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow , that's awesome!!

Too cool
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
excellent photography!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
excellent photography!
Not really. Almost any photo looks better in B&W and a bunch of filters/adjustments. Before that it was a typical shitty underwater photo. ;)
Correction: The last 4 pics are the ones I was referring to.... taken by me with a GoPro.
The other photos were taken by Aron Arngrimsson and are amazing.

Definitely an awesome experience.
Quoted:
Kind of long, but here is the Cousteau team there in the early 70's, maybe a bit earlier.  I can only see the difference in state by vids and pictures, but it looks dramatic.
Jump to 14 minutes if you want to skip the intro and ghey swimsuits.  As a side note, in re-watching this, I found more evidence of my next double hose project.
I'll check it out. I'm sure the people who have been diving there for decades could speak better to the changes in condition. I know of a at least one wreck in Kwajalein that have already collapsed.
The worse part is, a lot of these wrecks still have fuel in them just waiting to bust out.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Very nice pics.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top