Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Survived the trip !

Next I'll try and polish it up a bit.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/20210911_184252_jpg-2087168.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/12/2021 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm gonna have to load up when charcoal goes on clearance. [This smoker has room to cook approx 40 steaks at once. img]/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif[/img]

[img]https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/20210912_193716_jpg-2088551.JPG[/img]
[img]https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/20210912_193732_jpg-2088553.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm gonna have to load up when charcoal goes on clearance. [This smoker has room to cook approx 40 steaks at once. img]/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif[/url]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/20210912_193716_jpg-2088551.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/20210912_193732_jpg-2088553.JPG
View Quote

40 steaks hell idk how close you are to my area but I’d chip in a steak to help break it in  
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

40 steaks hell idk how close you are to my area but I’d chip in a steak to help break it in  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm gonna have to load up when charcoal goes on clearance. [This smoker has room to cook approx 40 steaks at once. img]/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif[/url]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/20210912_193716_jpg-2088551.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/20210912_193732_jpg-2088553.JPG

I / we will be harvesting approx 8 deer this year to keep it fed, I’ll be using that new meat processing stuff a lot in the near future.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Finished cleaning up that band saw today.  I took the entire thing apart, scrubbed off crud , and old animal grease, then sanded off oxidation off the aluminum parts, then rust off the stainless parts, then painted it and clear coated it, and installed a new power cord, works and looks great. I cleaned up the saw blade too, but I'll buy a spare soon.  The end result, I paid $500 for it, invested $50 bucks in paint and a good cleaning and now that's its cleaned up, could resell it for $1500.00 pretty easily.

I need to get a new drive belt / $20 buck fan belt as the old ones cracked, but still functional.

Before.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

After.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice job on the saw Buck.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#8]
If your portable generator doesn't have an hour-meter they're pretty cheap and easy to add.   Helps to stay up on the maint.

I don't drain mine for storage - I just run them regularly instead.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Pretty much all of this stuff i have been working on , my storage room, meat saw, stainless tables, meat grinder, vac sealer, smoker, garage sink and more are to be more organized, more self sufficient, to be able to process my own animals, maybe neighbors animals do favors, make extra bucks,  preserve food , etc.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nice job on the saw Buck.
View Quote

Looking great.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If your portable generator doesn't have an hour-meter they're pretty cheap and easy to add.   Helps to stay up on the maint.

I don't drain mine for storage - I just run them regularly instead.
View Quote

Good tip !,  

Yeah, I picked up 4 of those meters a while back, they work great !
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#12]
The wife unit is in IT.  She is having a very hard time finding hardware.  If it’s something that she needs, it’s in stock for ten minutes. Most of her orders have a December date given.  
Her issue is compounded by the federal accounting practices that her industry has to deal with.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Now I need a dehydrator!

Anyone have dehydrator recommendations ?
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#14]
55 servings. I picked up 5. Fk walmart, but I choose, not them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:06:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Now I need a dehydrator!

View Quote

I’ve seen guys use trays in the oven wouldn’t be to bad to get an old used gas one for the meat room. Plus you could use the burners to run canners.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 11:16:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Now I need a dehydrator!

View Quote

Excalibur 9 tray is awesome.  I have one and love it. It’s actually running right now dehydrating onions.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 11:46:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Excalibur 9 tray is awesome.  I have one and love it. It’s actually running right now dehydrating onions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now I need a dehydrator!

I second this.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Now I need a dehydrator!

View Quote

I couldn't bring myself to spend the coin on an Excalibur and I ended up getting a lightly used Nesco 75-PR for $50.

I've been happy with it so far!
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a Masterbuilt 10-Tray I got from Midway years ago for $100. I use it to dehydrate food and dry my wet polished brass. I think they're made by LEM now. Shop around, bet you can find a used on on Ebay or something.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Now I need a dehydrator!

View Quote
Excalibur
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:12:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, that Excalibur looks pretty sweet, I’ll have to grab me one after I get the vac sealer and sink installed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Buddy gifted me this today, he sold his diesel mower and had no need for it. He needed a part welded, traded me a great condition scepter plastic military fuel can full of diesel, for 5 minutes of welding. ( I was going to do the welding for free anyway, but he surprised me with the free can full of diesel. Cans prob worth $50 bucks and diesel $18 bucks or so. score !!

I'd love to have some more of these, as well as water cans, as IMHO there's nothing better and these will last forever, barring being crushed / stabbed / mangled.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Buddy gifted me this today, he sold his diesel mower and had no need for it. He needed a part welded, traded me a great condition scepter plastic military fuel can full of diesel, for 5 minutes of welding. ( I was going to do the welding for free anyway, but he surprised me with the free can full of diesel. Cans prob worth $50 bucks and diesel $18 bucks or so. score !!

I'd love to have some more of these, as well as water cans, as IMHO there's nothing better and these will last forever, barring being crushed / stabbed / mangled.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/20210916_114722_jpg-2092831.JPG
View Quote

That can is worth a lot more than $50, probably over $100.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Where do you put all this shit? Do you have several huge garages and basements? I can only imagine having that much space.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/20210916_114722_jpg-2092831.JPG
View Quote

I scored 2 of those in good condition from a local joint a couple months ago

It’s not a lot, but it’s 10 gallons more than I used to keep around the house.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 6:46:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Where do you put all this shit? Do you have several huge garages and basements? I can only imagine having that much space.
View Quote

I'm building a storage room right now plus adding floor to ceiling garage shelving.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm jealous of that fuel can for sure. Nice score.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#28]
This seems interesting, maybe I’ll try making essential oils, or purify some water.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sig is apropos. Bravo sir.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 9/18/2021 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#33]
I picked up a couple old gas cans from a friend who is moving today. They're junk, and one has 6 year old gas in it. However, the other one has kerosene in it. That will go into a jerrycan.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 8:20:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I spent $25 on a UTG AR armorer's wrench as a deep spare, found in a corner of my local gunshop. How available will AR parts and tools be a year from now?
View Quote

Dunno, can't hurt to add to the stash though when decent prices can be found.

That's why I just ordered 3 more factory mags from PSA for my XD 9MM...still on sale for $9.99 each, after taxes and shipping they come out to $13 a piece. Thats half the price of any retailer locally.

I'm not sure why PSA has had these mags on sale for sale long. I've bought 10 from them over the past year for between $9.99 and $14.99.

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Yeah man.

Cumberland Mountain Number Nine

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:50:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Has anyone noticed certain things are starting to dry up?

At a gun show, two major vendors were pretty much out of Beretta 92/M9 magazines other than the modern tan ones.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yeah, that Excalibur looks pretty sweet, I’ll have to grab me one after I get the vac sealer and sink installed.
View Quote

What kind of vac sealer you using?  I have one of the food saver ones but it's slow and I'd like something faster.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

I had something similar but it was for brewing beer. I had a blast doing it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Heres the next project,

I got these today for $75.00.

Attachment Attached File

I'm going to turn them into this, for my tractor.

Attachment Attached File

Pallet forks are super handy.

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Pallet forks are great.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#43]
First purchase I made for my Kubota was some forks. Been super handy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/20210920_122839_jpg-2098233.JPG

View Quote

Definitely get Pallet Forks on your Tractor.  But do a better adaption than what you have pictured.  Those stick out at least 8in further than they need to.  That leverage cuts into your lift capacity.  They are also WAY WAY over built out of channel iron and likely what was drops laying around, but that extra weight cuts into your lift capacity.

I bought a used forklift carriage, about 4ft wide, from a forklift dealer out of their junk pile for $50.  That got me the top and bottom rails so I can adjust the fork width.  I cut everything extra off of it and then welded on the ears/pin mounts.  I have a Kubota and I went with their Pin On Adapter, not the Skid Steer version trying to save weight.  For the couple times a year I swap between the bucket and forks, the pin on is no big deal.  All the skid steer implements are way overkill for a tractor that might lift 1000lbs and you lose that little bit of extra lift capacity.

There used to be a place on eBay in Memphis I believe that sold the pre-notched rails to weld up your own carriage.

Start hoarding plastic pallets too and get all your stuff palletized.

Also slide those 2 forks together and bind them with a chain.  Makes a fairly decent spade for moving bushes, etc WITHIN REASON.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 8:53:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Definitely get Pallet Forks on your Tractor.  But do a better adaption than what you have pictured.  Those stick out at least 8in further than they need to.  That leverage cuts into your lift capacity.  They are also WAY WAY over built out of channel iron and likely what was drops laying around, but that extra weight cuts into your lift capacity.

I bought a used forklift carriage, about 4ft wide, from a forklift dealer out of their junk pile for $50.  That got me the top and bottom rails so I can adjust the fork width.  I cut everything extra off of it and then welded on the ears/pin mounts.  I have a Kubota and I went with their Pin On Adapter, not the Skid Steer version trying to save weight.  For the couple times a year I swap between the bucket and forks, the pin on is no big deal.  All the skid steer implements are way overkill for a tractor that might lift 1000lbs and you lose that little bit of extra lift capacity.

There used to be a place on eBay in Memphis I believe that sold the pre-notched rails to weld up your own carriage.

Also slide those 2 forks together and bind them with a chain.  Makes a fairly decent spade for moving bushes, etc WITHIN REASON.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/20210920_122839_jpg-2098233.JPG

Those are all good points !

My kubota has the quick detach system, I’ll build something compatible with it, and keep it as light as possible. Don’t have the correct metal right now, I’ll keep a eye out for something suitable at the scrap yard. Your correct though, every lb added to the forks / mount takes away a lb of lift capacity, etc.
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#46]
I’m going to be installing one of these soon, be a useful off grid drinking water source, ( obviously get water tested ) .looks to cost around $300 bucks for the parts to install one of these. My back yard is pretty low and the area around it stays wet 10 months out of the year, so, I’m pretty sure if I can hit 15 feet or so, I’ll have water year round out of this thing. Even if I have to treat / filter it, that still beats needing  to go and get water in a vehicle, from some other source, fill a tank,  haul it home, use gasoline, roads, etc. the benefits of this are obvious.

Installing a Sand Point Well at the Off-Grid Cabin
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#47]
I went back and found the fork mounting frame, now I just gotta make a way to attach it to my kubota quick disconnect system, didnt look complicated though.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Hell it basically fits already !!  

But seriously, I just need to weld a full length piece of angle iron on the top for better lock up, and tabs on the bottom for my lock system to grab, add a  few tie downs, and hooks for chains and some paint and it's good to go !  Ill also prob add a bar / back rest that sticks up 24-36" for items to lean back against and be a tie down point, but if got the steel on hand to do all that.

Total cost $120.00 !!

These forks dont match up perfectly, one is approx 4" higher at the tip, prob got stretched at some point. Scrap yard dude said hes got a dozen sets, so if a issue he will let me swap them out. I'll do that tomorrow.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2021 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Wow. Talk about a great score. Nice!
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Since I’m getting a dehydrator soon, does anyone have any good jerky recipes ?.

Iv made jerky only once, I got a jerky mix from the grocery store for spicy / hot jerky. I cut up about 30lbs of venison, treated it and put in my oven racks on low heat. A hour later I come in and my floors covered with meat juice that dripped into the oven and ran out onto the kitchen floor. I mopped it up, and kept cooking.

after 4 hours I had some awesome jerky ! Everyone loved it !
Page / 55
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top