Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2020 7:14:38 PM EDT
How tough a job is it to replace a front axle shaft from a small kubota 4wd tractor ?

Link Posted: 9/3/2020 8:52:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I would take it to my dealer.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like the hardest part is removing a bunch of bolts.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Should be pretty easy. The bigger question is how did you do that?
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like the hardest part is removing a bunch of bolts.
View Quote
Im thinking thats the easiest part. What worries me is what pours out and what lurks behind once all the bolts are removed. Shaft is only $195, labor to replace will probably cost me 3x that amount.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Is that a u-joint or CV-joint at the steering knuckle? If it's a u-joint it is likely only retained by that outer housing with the bolts around the edge. CV-joint should also have retention somewhere in the differential so it depends how that is retained.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Im thinking thats the easiest part. What worries me is what pours out and what lurks behind once all the bolts are removed. Shaft is only $195, labor to replace will probably cost me 3x that amount.
View Quote

What pours out? Oil? Oil is what scares you?

Here is what I would do. Order the axle, ask the shop if there are any other parts you should order to do the job. The parts will be a good indicator of what you will have to do. IE, if you need a differential cover gasket you will probably have to open up the differential (if you even can on the small tractors). When the axle comes look it over for signs of how & where it is retained. That will be a good indicator of what will need opened/removed to free it up for removal.

I wouldn't be too afraid of what may fall apart or come out, tractor axles sre normally pretty simple.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Here is what I would do. Order the axle, ask the shop if there are any other parts you should order to do the job. The parts will be a good indicator of what you will have to do. IE, if you need a differential cover gasket you will probably have to open up the differential (if you even can on the small tractors). When the axle comes look it over for signs of how & where it is retained. That will be a good indicator of what will need opened/removed to free it up for removal.

I wouldn't be too afraid of what may fall apart or come out, tractor axles sre normally pretty simple.
View Quote
From the vids I found online it looks like there is a ring gear behind the cover and a small pinion type gear that spins it. I am guessing we will need some sort of press to get the broken shaft out and press the new back in. What concerns me is if there are the same sort of tools and knowledge as needed to set up a rearend in a truck or car. I dont have the skills or tools to read gear patterns, set backlash or whatever goes into the science of making gears run smoothly and happily ever after.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 9:37:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a bad axle leak on a 40hp LS. Not the same but still.

Was a bit intimidating to tear apart and fix...but they are pretty simple machines.

Surely there is an exploded diagram out there for the kubota. Try tractorbynet forums.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
From the vids I found online it looks like there is a ring gear behind the cover and a small pinion type gear that spins it. I am guessing we will need some sort of press to get the broken shaft out and press the new back in. What concerns me is if there are the same sort of tools and knowledge as needed to set up a rearend in a truck or car. I dont have the skills or tools to read gear patterns, set backlash or whatever goes into the science of making gears run smoothly and happily ever after.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When that stuff is done in a home garage, more often than not it’s just marked on the nut where it was, and then count the number of threads, turns, etc to get it back to where it was before you took it off
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like a planetary final drive which is really common on tractors and industrial equipment. It allows for smaller driveshafts and axles. Planetaries aren't all that difficult to work with but they can be daunting if you don't understand them.

Get an exploded diagram from your dealer and that should make it easier to understand...
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sounds like a planetary final drive which is really common on tractors and industrial equipment. It allows for smaller driveshafts and axles. Planetaries aren't all that difficult to work with but they can be daunting if you don't understand them.

Get an exploded diagram from your dealer and that should make it easier to understand...
View Quote
Messicks is the place I go to for exploded diagrams.

https://messicks.com/vendor/kubota
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top