Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2020 10:15:49 PM EDT
Some of the various movies of that time period show some British soldiers in black or dark coats instead of the usual red or khaki.  Anyone got a picture of black coats?  Were they a different branch of service?

Like in this scene at 57:05
https://youtu.be/kjspSfMMZc8?t=3425
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Riflemen (95, 60) wore dark coats.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 5:01:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I think a lot of staff officers also wore that dark blue colour, and so did artillerymen.

Remember that's the first Boer war, by the second Boer war it was pretty much uniformly khaki for everyone.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Zulu war it was 'Quartermasters' and 'Surgeons'.  They are VERY dark blue with black piping and braid.  I had one as a kid back in 1965 I picked up in a Portobello Road shop (Junk and surplus shops area then).  

The dark coated 'riflemen' wore Green in the Napoleantic Wars.  Ordinary Brit Infantry then wore red and had smooth bore muskets.

In that particular movie it is Naval Artillery that is wearing the Blue coats.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top