Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2020 6:25:08 PM EDT
I am having a cookout this Saturday, Looking for some advice on cooking a brisket. I have 9-10 hours available to cook it, on a charcoal fired grill. It is thawing from the freezer now.

How should I prep this?

I have heard of people doing a dry rub, others do a wet rub?

How long to cook? I know it is a low heat over a long time.

Thanks for your tips!
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#1]
BBQ with Franklin: The Brisket

Theres more videos in the series.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Watch all of Harry's brisket videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4dtbTXdvjo272b5x_mxRBw

9-10 hours is not long enough.

My briskets rest for 4 hours minimum after cooking.  I usually cook them overnight. 5-6 hours for bark until ~165, wrap in pink paper, cook until about 200 (another 5 or 6 hours) and then rest in a cooler for 4 hours.

Also, charcoal grill is not the right tool for the job, unless you can also use it as a smoker and keep it at a consistent temperature.

How are you trimming the brisket?   Texas style or KC style with burnt ends from the point?  KC will cook faster, but you need to know how to separate the packer.

Speaking of which....do you have a whole packer or just a flat? How much does it weigh?

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am having a cookout this Saturday, Looking for some advice on cooking a brisket. I have 9-10 hours available to cook it, on a charcoal fired grill. It is thawing from the freezer now.

How should I prep this?

I have heard of people doing a dry rub, others do a wet rub?

How long to cook? I know it is a low heat over a long time.

Thanks for your tips!
View Quote

You don't have enough time...

Also brisket is by far the most difficult cut of meat to get right. Bad choice for first time cook with guests coming.

I will say if you have a sous vide, then get that bitch in there now. Cook for 36 - 40 hours at 145, chill in ice water then smoke till 160, almost foolproof.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#4]
9-10 hours will require a hotter fire than I like for brisket.

Some folks like Myron Mixon love cooking hot and fast, but not me.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#5]
If you'd like, I'm happy to share my skirt steak and chimichurri recipe with you.

You can cook that easy on your grill in very little time and I guarantee it will be a hit with your guests.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 8:57:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Give it a thick coating of coarse black pepper and coarse kosher salt.

I did 275-300 with hickory wood on my Weber Kettle using the charcoal snake method and it came out great. Definitely let it rest after it finishes.

ETA: I’m actually smoking a “center cut” brisket tomorrow that’s a portion of both muscles using this procedure.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:47:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I have done brisket a number of ways, and also with absolutely nothing on it.  I forgot once and pulled it out and thought I put too much salt on it.  It had no salt on it.

So, often I don't put anything on a brisket.

Last week brisket dropped to $2.49/lb and I bought a 13 pounder.  I used a light coating of Killer Hogs AP (because I run't out) and then slathered it with mustard and sprinkled a heavy dose of fresh cracked black pepper on top.  I started it late and it was in at 225F for 10 hours and had only hit 168F.  I foiled it and cranked the temp to 275 for and hour and it came up to 200F.  Perfection.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#8]
While this is likely to ruffle the feathers of some of the purist, but given your time constraints this is your best option.

Smoke it for around 5 hours at 225ish

Pull it, wrap tightly in several layers of foil and place in the oven for 2-3 hours at 250-275. You can temp check it. When it reaches desired temp

30 minutes on hot indirect heat to crisp up the bark etl rest for 30 minutes at minimum.

Attachment Attached File

If 3-2-1 works for ribs, why wouldnt something similar work for brisket
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:57:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Also brisket is by far the most difficult cut of meat to get right. Bad choice for first time cook with guests coming.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top